You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gary Mackay?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gary Mackay?
    Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:42pm
What's Gary Mackay upto these days does anyone know?

I presume the FAI have him sorted with an Aviva ticket for life!

Still broke?...blame it all on Gary Mackay...Nov' 87
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:46pm
He's a member on here Marty Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

MARTY View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:49pm
You serious McGoldrick?
PaddyBourke2 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyBourke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by MARTY MARTY wrote:

You serious McGoldrick?
hes dead serious. hes on here alright.
MARTY View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:58pm
Gary....If your reading this...
Thanks for the night in Sofia , many many great memories over the last 22 years.
Gary Mac View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 7:15pm

Thanks for the night in Sofia , many many great memories over the last 22 years.

Nae worry's ladee. I remember it well lad. I remember me Joe Jordan and Souey drank buckfast and iron brooo all night. Cannae remember much after lad. We woke up in a baernyard in Belerooos.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyBourke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Gary Mac Gary Mac wrote:

Nae worry's ladee. I remember it well lad. I remember me Joe Jordan and Souey drank buckfast and iron brooo all night. Cannae remember much after lad. We woke up in a baernyard in Belerooos.
why didnt ya log in on your other profile gary?
Gary Mac View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by johnny ccfc johnny ccfc wrote:

Im pished ladee and forgot ma password aye
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyBourke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 7:29pm

Originally posted by johnny ccfc johnny ccfc wrote:

Im pished ladee and forgot ma password aye
you did bai.
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 8:34pm
In light of the upcoming trip spied this article earlier today and enough of the fecking tickets and the twat JD, decent auld read as well Thumbs Up

How Gary Mackay became Ireland’s favourite Scotland player

Mackay’s only Scotland goal, on his debut in an edgy Euro 1988 qualifier in Sofia, meant the Republic of Ireland reached their first major tournament and left the Bulgaria squad having to apologise on national television

“Ach, I remember everything about it, the whole move,” says Gary Mackay, the man who will for ever be Ireland’s favourite Scottish footballer, unless something truly zany happens during the Euro 2016 qualifier in Glasgow on Friday. “When you only score one goal for your country and it’s on your debut, well, I don’t remember a lot of things in my life but that sticks with me big time!”

It sticks with a lot of people – in Scotland, but most of all in Ireland and Bulgaria, as Mackay’s goal had historic ramifications for both nations …

On 11 November 1987 winds of change were blowing through Europe but, having ruled his homeland for more than three decades, the then president of Bulgaria, Todor Zhivkov, felt no need to foster favour with his people by feigning an interest in football. It was a sport he despised and the fact that the national team seemed set to catapult the population into raptures by qualifying for a European Championship for the first time made it no more palatable. Every other craggy member of the politburo, however, seemed swelled with a boyish excitement and they, like all the top brass from the army and police and many of the rank and file, were among the 60,000 spectators who ignored teeming rain to gather in Sofia’s Vasil Levski stadium and watch the glory unfold.

In a sense the crowd was pleased that Bulgaria had lost their previous match on a blustery October afternoon in Dublin, where the continent’s surprise package had hustled and bustled them into submission, a Paul McGrath volley from a breaking ball and a Kevin Moran header sending Jack Charlton’s robust Republic of Ireland to the top of Group 7. Had Hristo Mladenov’s men drawn in Dublin, their passage to the 1988 European Championship in Germany would have been secured and the Sofia crowd denied the opportunity to witness history in the making. Paradise was postponed, which meant the night’s celebrations would be all the more cathartic. Sofia may have been in the clutches of a nepotistic regime that had not yet crumbled, but the ground was giddy. Well, as giddy as a ground can be when about three-quarters of the supporters are wearing military uniforms.

As kick-off approached, tension increased. The country’s best player, Lachezar Tanev, was convalescing after being injured moments after scoring his second goal in September’s 2-0 triumph over Belgium; the captain, the centre-back Georgi Dimitrov, was also an absent casualty; and everyone knew that four years previously the country’s collective coitus had been interrupted when Yugoslavia stopped Bulgaria qualifying for Euro 84 with a last-minute winner in Split. Once bitten, forever wary. Then again, the opponents were sure to be toothless: Scotland were even more ravaged by injury, so much so that Andy Roxburgh had called up the 22-year-old Mackay, the first Hearts player to be selected for Scotland since 1974. Bulgaria needed only a draw, had not lost at home in three and a half years, had already beaten Belgium, Luxembourg and the Republic of Ireland in Sofia and the visitors’ qualification hopes had long since perished. For Scotland, surely, this fixture was a formality, an administrative chore to be carried out with bureaucratic indifference. And Bulgarians knew all too well that was not a mindset to beget inspiration.

Which was why the locals found the first half inexplicable. Scotland were spirited and ominously ambitious. “Nothing was for the Irish, we were playing for our own national pride,” Mackay says. Scotland’s audacity gave Bulgaria the jitters, fans as well as players. Suddenly this was no time for whooping, it was a time to tremble.

“It was the eeriest atmosphere I’ve known,” Mackay says. “The ground was so drab, there was no advertising or anything like that, no colour except for the military uniforms. And when so many soldiers are suddenly silent, it’s spooky. And the longer the game went on, the more you could feel their players getting nervous.” Bulgaria jettisoned any plans for a swashbuckling march to the finals and sought to cling on for the point that would have enabled them to top the group on goal difference ahead of the Republic of Ireland, who had completed their campaign. The players began to waste time and perpetrate petty fouls that aborted Scotland’s momentum at the puny cost of free-kicks far from danger.

In the 87th minute, Hristo Stoichkov crunched into Gordon Durie by the touchline but rather then halt the game for a free-kick, the Austrian referee, Helmut Kohl, waved play on. Steve Clarke collected the loose ball and slipped it to Mackay, who had come on at half-time for the injured Paul McStay. “All I was concerned about was trying to make an impact as an individual,” Mackay says. Clarke’s pass gave him the chance to do just that. The debutant let the ball run across him and then, from the edge of the box, fired past the goalkeeper Borislav Mihaylov and into the net. “When I saw the ball behind me, my heart stopped,” Mihaylov said.

The home fans booed, the attendant nomenklatura seethed. “If it was eerie before my goal, it was positively creepy afterwards,” Mackay says. As Bulgaria reeled, Manchester United’s Brian McClair was presented with a simple chance to make it 2-0. But he skewed his effort off-target. “That seemed to give the Bulgarians a bit of belief,” Mackay says, “and then they really came at us.” As if bewitched by Bulgarian yearning, Kohl signalled for seven minutes’ added time – this in an era when more than three was unusual.

Nasko Sirakov shot just wide. Stoichkov shot inches over the bar. Sirakov shot again, into Jim Leighton’s arms. And then Kohl proclaimed full-time. “Even now the pain is fresh in my mind,” Mihaylov says. “That was without doubt the worst moment of my career.” Things nearly got worse for him. Bulgaria’s failure was scandalous. Mladenov was immediately sacked and the media speculated that the squad would be sentenced to hard labour in the Kremikovtsi metal works. In the end, they escaped with an appearance on Panorama, the country’s current affairs programme, during which they proffered a suitably miserable apology to the nation.

Mackay was also finding Bulgarian TV troublesome. “When I returned to Scotland I went back to my parents, with whom I was still living, and my dad and I sat down to watch the match, which he had recorded,” Mackay says. “It cut off as soon as the final whistle went and I said: ‘Ach Dad, why didn’t you record my interview?’ He replied: ‘What interview?’ I had given an interview on the pitch as soon as the game ended and I was so emotional after scoring for my country on my debut that I couldn’t remember a word of what I’d said, so I really wanted to see it. But I was told later that the Bulgarian camera crew were so devastated by the result that they had simply turned off their cameras as soon as the match was over. I had been talking into an empty microphone.”

Irish television, on the other hand, was on full blast. In a flourish of mad optimism RTE had decided to buy a feed of the game and was repaid by Mackay’s improbable winner. All Group 7’s matches were over and unlike in previous campaigns, there was no last-gasp heartbreak for the Irish, no cause to curse perverse refereeing decisions or the simple callousness of the goal difference rule. Fourth seeds at the start, Ireland had finished top of the group, a point clear of Bulgaria. For the first time, they were going to a major championship.

“I only really realised the magnitude of my goal when I got back to Glasgow,” Mackay says. “Pat Bonner was playing for Celtic at the time and though I didn’t know him, he came to the airport to meet me off the plane with a huge grin and a bottle of champagne.”

The Football Association of Ireland lost the run of itself and sent a crate of champagne to the Scottish FA, who returned it. Mackay’s goal enabled Ireland to make their inaugural appearance at a major international tournament but it did not herald the start of a long international career for the player; he won only three more caps and his domestic season ended early when he broke his jaw in a clash with Celtic’s Billy Stark. Ireland went to the European Championships and, in their first match, beat England. Good thing the Scottish FA sent back that crate of champagne.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 9:24pm
Cheers dude !!!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 9:31pm
Delaney, Where's the Champers gone ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 9:48pm
Gary is a top bloke he supported us two years ago in a cycle around Scottish and North East Grounds to raise funds for Motor Neurone Disease - pic above was taken at Tynecastle with Billy Hunter ex Hibs.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 9:49pm
...Hibs ground Embarrassed
hawkeye View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 9:58pm
Remember it well. When mckay scored i ran to my local and watched the injury time and then Drunkenly planned our trip to euro 88. The rest is history.......
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:10pm
Somebody buy him a pint if you see him on Friday !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic