You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John O'Shea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John O'Shea
    Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 3:03pm

O'Shea to captain United in Aviva friendly

Soccer: Wayne Rooney is among a number of Manchester United stars likely to feature in Wednesday night’s game against an Airtricity League XI in the new Aviva Stadium where John O’Shea is set to wear the captain’s armband for the Red Devils.

Manager Alex Ferguson confirmed four World Cup players, including Rooney, Michael Carrick, Ji-sung Park and Nemanja Vidic plus Antonio Valencia, who returns to action after an ankle injury, will be in the squad for the friendly to mark the first soccer match in the new stadium.

The quintet missed United’s tour of North America and the subsequent friendly in Mexico and Wednesday's game could mark their first club appearance of the summer.

"Rooney, Park, Carrick and Vidic are back in training and are doing well," said Ferguson on United’s official website www.manutd.com. "Valencia is also training well and needs a game. All of them will be involved and Chicharito will also be part of the squad."

Ferguson confirmed two of his Republic of Ireland internationals, O’Shea and Darron Gibson, will play. "Yes, they deserve to, and O'Shea will probably be captain."

"It looks fantastic, it is spectacular," added the Scot in reference to the new stadium. "This is a great way to recognise the relationship we have, which goes back many, many years, to the days of Johnny Carey. We have had some fantastic players from Ireland."

The friendly against Damien Richardson’s side comes just four days before United take on Chelsea in the Community Shield at Wembley. Their Premier League campaign gets under way against Newcastle on Monday, August 16th.

Sponsored Links

BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 8:34pm
Good man Johno, hope Gibson gets a good run out too!!
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 11:59pm
Lets hope JOS gets a fantastic reception but that the Irish crowd are up for the Irish team.....slim chance....

Edited by Honey Monster - 03 Aug 2010 at 12:06am
Propagandhi View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 7:04am
Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson is confident that defender John O’Shea has many years of international football ahead of him.

O’Shea, 29, who captained Manchester United in last night’s friendly against a League of Ireland selection in Dublin, has won 62 Republic of Ireland caps since 2001. His versatility has seen him play in almost every position for United, and he was a regular in the side before getting injured while on international duty for the Republic in the ill-fated play-off match against France last November.

Speaking to reporters after the game in Dublin, Ferguson said: “He could play until his forties, he’s a young, fit man. John will play for years.”

Earlier this year, striker Dimitar Berbatov announced his retirement from international football at just 29, and previously, Paul Scholes hung up his England boots at the same age.

Ferguson added that O’Shea’s ability to keep fit means he won’t have to rush into international retirement, “He’s had one injury in his career at United and that was last season after the game in Paris where he had a haemorrhage in his thigh.

“It’s the only injury he’s ever had at our club, which was a bad one as it turned out, an unusual injury. We had to be careful with the classification of it, that’s why we had to take our time with it, but he’s never been injured.”

O’Shea has notched up 361 appearance for the Red Devils and is contracted to the club until 2012.
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 11:10am
Manchester United defender John O'Shea is determined to shake off his injury woes and help the club regain the Premier League title.

O'Shea, 29, suffered a freak blow in the Republic of Ireland's controversial World Cup 2010 play-off defeat when a dead leg turned into a blood clot.

Although capable of returning for the end of the campaign, he had already missed the majority of United's abortive pushes for domestic and European glory, and O'Shea says he is ready to fire on all cylinders in the months ahead.

He said: "It was a freakish injury and I was a little bit worried.

"The medical staff were great. They just told me I needed a little bit of time.

"What happened was not natural but because it was in the middle of the muscle we knew it would eventually dissolve away."

That is exactly how it worked out, although for a player who is not used to being on the sidelines through injury, it was a frustrating period of time.

"I expected to be back in a week or 10 days. It proved to be five months," he reflected.

"I have never been injured for longer than two weeks, so to be out for that long was very frustrating, especially when you consider all the big games you are missing out on.

"It was very disappointing but it is part of life. Thankfully it is all cleared up and now I am raring to go."

sheasy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

Manchester United defender John O'Shea is determined to shake off his injury woes and help the club regain the Premier League title.

O'Shea, 29, suffered a freak blow in the Republic of Ireland's controversial World Cup 2010 play-off defeat when a dead leg turned into a blood clot.

Although capable of returning for the end of the campaign, he had already missed the majority of United's abortive pushes for domestic and European glory, and O'Shea says he is ready to fire on all cylinders in the months ahead.

He said: "It was a freakish injury and I was a little bit worried.

"The medical staff were great. They just told me I needed a little bit of time.

"What happened was not natural but because it was in the middle of the muscle we knew it would eventually dissolve away."

That is exactly how it worked out, although for a player who is not used to being on the sidelines through injury, it was a frustrating period of time.

"I expected to be back in a week or 10 days. It proved to be five months," he reflected.

"I have never been injured for longer than two weeks, so to be out for that long was very frustrating, especially when you consider all the big games you are missing out on.

"It was very disappointing but it is part of life. Thankfully it is all cleared up and now I am raring to go."

fairplay john absolute legendClapClapClap
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 6:19am
I won’t give up on Republic of Ireland, says John O'Shea 

His mantelpiece is weighed down with everything the club game could offer a player operating at the pinnacle of his profession.

His is not a mind burdened by the exigencies of the ludicrously exalted drama of the transfer window and the surfeit of shadowy dramatis personae lurking within the modern game's shadowy undergrowth.

John O'Shea is, it would seem, the man who has it all, his enviable roll call of honours a glowing testament to his durability and indispensable versatility within the most glittering franchise in world football.

But there remains a glaring omission on his otherwise stellar CV. Even with all their disappointments at club level, mates such as Shay Given, Richard Dunne, Damien Duff and Robbie Keane can gently tease that they have experienced something that he, regrettably, has not.

For an appearance at a major international soccer championship still eludes the 29-year-old Waterford native.

“Yeah, that's a huge disappointment,” he says ahead of the Republic’s Euro 2012 qualifier with Armenia on Friday.

“There's major jealously with all the lads in the team who have been to a major tournament. You feel that you've missed out on reaching the pinnacle of where international football is. That's definitely a disappointment but we're confident we can do it this time.”

Unlike some of his closest peers — Paul Scholes and Wes Brown to name but two club colleagues — premature retirement will not usher him off the scene, regardless of the Republic of Ireland’s success or otherwise in the forthcoming campaign.

By the time this campaign ends in late 2011, he will have eclipsed both the aforementioned United men in age terms. But, he stresses, never in terms of his desire to wear his national jersey.

“It's a simple factor but I don't see it ever being a problem for me, purely because I'll always be of the persuasion...well at the moment I'm saying this...no, I would very confident of Ireland retiring me rather than me retiring Ireland.”

Edited by Propagandhi® - 31 Aug 2010 at 6:22am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 6:23am

WITH 10 of his international team-mates failing to see any first-team action for their clubs over the weekend, and three of them at the centre of transfer speculation as the deadline loomed, John O’Shea had the look of a contented man in Malahide yesterday, relieved not to be spending his first day on Irish duty waiting on an agent’s call.

A one-club man, never having to uproot and start all over again in unfamiliar surroundings. “I know I’m very lucky, long may that continue,” he said. “And I’m going to work hard and give myself every opportunity I can to stay at a place where you should really only excel as a footballer because the facilities and the people. Everything is in place for you to improve, become better and succeed. Why wouldn’t I want to stay there?”

If he had the inside track on Shay Given, Robbie Keane and Liam Lawrence’s club situations he wasn’t, naturally enough, sharing the news, just opting to sympathise with them and other team-mates finding themselves largely watching from the sidelines since the new Premier League season got under way.

In contrast, O’Shea has played every minute of Manchester United’s three league games so far. “Hopefully the manager doesn’t see the need to rotate,” he smiled. He is, then, relishing full fitness again after missing much of the last campaign.

But is it a worry that so many of his Irish team-mates have struggled to get first team football since the start of the season?

“I don’t think so, no, most of those lads have been involved in pre-season games, so even if they’ve missed out on the first few weeks of the Premier season I can’t see it being a problem.

“You’re still working very hard at this stage and you don’t really ease off when the games start, the intensity is still the same. So, fitness wise, there definitely isn’t a problem.”

All thoughts, then, are focused on the opening two games of the Euro 2012 qualifying game, against the lowest-ranked nations in the group – Armenia on Friday and Andorra the following Tuesday. “You don’t want to look too far ahead,” said O’Shea, “but that’s a great chance for us to get six points from two games. You’re going in to the October games then full of confidence.

“Look, we know that if we play well and get that bit of luck, we should come out of Armenia with three points.

“But if we don’t get our minds right from the start we’ll be in for a hell of a shock because these so-called lesser teams have a habit of making us look very stupid.

“It feels as if some people are taking it for granted, that we’ll get the six points, but we couldn’t have got a trickier draw than Armenia away in the first game.

“They’ve caused a few surprises against quality opposition not too long ago, like Belgium and Poland.

“We know we’re going to have to put in a very good performance, especially over there. It’s going to be very hot. I’m sure they’ll make it as hostile as possible for us, in how they approach the game tactically and physically.

“But we’re more than experienced in going away to tough games. The away performances in the last campaign were an improvement on what went before. Still, they could have been better. And picking up points away from home is definitely going to be the key to automatic qualification.

“Our home form, well, we know we can beat anyone at home. Once we can stick to being unbeaten at home and winning the majority of those games, it’s going to come down to the away games. Get them right and, needless to say, we have a chance.”

O’Shea will be past the 30 mark when this qualifying campaign reaches its conclusion, but, he insists, he has given no thoughts to his plans at that point, not tempted – for now at least – to follow the example of United team-mates Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, both of whom credited their retirement from international football with extending their club careers.

“Well, you never know, it’s definitely a possibility when you see how they excelled because of the rest they’ve got.

“It’s a simple factor, but I don’t see it ever being a problem for me, purely because I’ll always be of the persuasion . . . well, at the moment I’m saying this . . . no, I would be very confident,” he smiled, “of Ireland retiring me, rather than me retiring Ireland”.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 2:27pm

With a staggering 64 major trophies between them, Sir Alex Ferguson and Giovanni Trapattoni own two of the most enviable medal collections in the game. Even in an era of lucrative salaries and vast mansions, most players would swap their flashiest Ferrari or priciest Rolex for the opportunity to work under the tutelage of either of these managerial legends.

John%20OShea%20and%20Sir%20Alex%20Feguson

PA Photos

John O'Shea has played under Sir Alex Feguson for 11 years at Manchester United

Few can claim that privilege, but an even greater distinction belongs to Manchester United defender John O'Shea, who is currently working under both trophy-laden tacticians. Aside from loan spells at Bournemouth and Royal Antwerp, O'Shea has spent his entire club career playing under Ferguson at United, while for the past two years he has taken international orders from Trapattoni.

Ferguson has played a key role in O'Shea's football education and, despite rumours linking the versatile Irishman with a move away from the club appearing on a number of occasions during his 11-years at Old Trafford, the presence and continued support of the manager has given him no reason to seek a new challenge elsewhere.

The United boss has moulded three generations of title-winning sides - claiming 11 Premier League triumphs in all - while former Italy coach Trapattoni tasted Scudetto victory on nine occasions with Milan, Juventus and Inter, before going on to win league championships in Germany, Portugal and Switzerland. Having experienced the management styles of both veteran bosses, O'Shea believes the reason for their longevity in the game is that they share similar qualities - chiefly an insatiable appetite for success.

"There are definitely similarities - their desire and hunger to continue to want to be the best and to want their team to win is incredible," he tells ESPNsoccernet. "That's why they are still so successful and have cemented their reputations as two of the best managers ever to have been involved in the game. It's been a pleasure to work with both of them."

Excluding the caretaker reigns of Don Givens, O'Shea has experienced four different managers for Ireland - with Mick McCarthy, Brian Kerr and Steve Staunton coming and going before Trapattoni took the hotseat in 2008. The wily Italian may have taken them to the World Cup but for Thierry Henry's infamous handball, but O'Shea insists that he and his team-mates have never dwelt on their play-off disappointment, with Trapattoni responsible for keeping the players focused on the new campaign.

"We've moved on from it," he says. "The manager has spoken about it and we're just looking forward to going one step closer this time and qualifying for the Euros. Dwelling on it would just take the focus off what we're trying to do.

John%20oShea%20and%20Thierry%20henry%20Ireland%20v%20France

GettyImages

John O'Shea says Ireland have not dwelt on last November's play-off disappointment

"In terms of experience and what he's won, I'd have to say Trapattoni's the best coach I've had for Ireland. He's improved the team and the squad with the approach he brings to every game and the understanding that he gives players now about fine little details that happen in the game and that have happened to him throughout his career. He's passing on all those little bits of advice to us."

The players may have just about got over the emotional trauma of the Henry-inspired defeat to Les Bleus last November, but the match took a physical toll on O'Shea, who picked up a thigh injury in Paris that curtailed his season. Having racked up an impressive haul of 54 games for United in the 2008-09 campaign, he made just 19 appearances last season - with 15 of those coming before his injury in November. It was the longest time O'Shea had ever spent on the sidelines and, while he admits it was tough watching the likes of Gary Neville and Rafael stake their claim for a first-team spot, he is philospohical about his time on the treatment table.

"If you're involved in football you's going to get injured," he says. "You just have to deal with it. That was my first major injury, but you do your hard work and you just concentrate on the recovery. It's unfortunate that you miss out on lots of big matches, but that's part and parcel of being at Manchester United and that's why the manager has such a good squad to cover injuries if these things happen. It feels good to be playing regularly again now and I've just been concentrating on having a good start and staying fit. Everything's gone well so far so hopefully it continues."

O'Shea has slipped seamlessly back into United's first XI after making some fleeting appearances towards the end of last season, and he is currently keeping Rafael out of the starting line-up. With Neville and Wes Brown on their way back from injury, the right-back slot is one of the most hotly contested positions in the team, but it is the Irishman who seems to curry most favour Ferguson at the moment.

John%20OShea%20has%20played%20every%20minute%20of%20Uniteds%20first%20three%20Premier%20League%20games%20this%20season

Other

John O'Shea has played every minute of United's first three Premier League games this season

Competition for places is fierce throughout the United squad, though opinion is divided about the three new summer arrivals at Old Trafford. While Javier Hernandez's pre-World Cup signing has been hailed as a masterstroke after he impressed in South Africa, doubts remain about just how much young pair Chris Smalling and Bebe will feature in the first-team. But having seen all three players close-up in training, O'Shea is confident they will have an important part to play in the coming season.

"The performances of the new lads in training have been very encouraging. Bebe's just come in so in the last few weeks I haven't trained with him as much but, the few days he has had, he's shown he's a quality finisher. Hernadez and Smalling I've obviously trained a lot more with and they're going to be great athletes for Manchester United.

"Chris is really going to improve learning from the defenders we have at the club and you can see already that his confidence is growing. We've got a real star in Hernandez - he played in the World Cup and took his goals there and the impression we've got in training already is he's going to be a big hit for the fans and for the team hopefully this season. I'm sure they're ready for the first team, and the manager's convinced that the three lads will definitely play a part this season.

"We're hungry to get to the latter stages of the Champions League again and obviously to win the title again. I think if we can keep everyone fit and the squad healthy, the manager has plenty of choices and we are definitely going to go close."

Karnage View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:27am

ALEX FERGUSON has stepped up his plan to get Manchester United stars to commit to Old Trafford by offering John O'Shea a £16.5million contract.

The United boss followed Wayne Rooney's deal by getting Patrice Evra to agree to a big contract as revealed exclusively in yesterday's SunSport.

Now defender O'Shea is being tied down.

His £80,000-a-week four-year deal is modest compared with Rooney's £250,000 and it trails Evra's £100,000.

But O'Shea, 29, will have no complaints. This third contract deal also lets United fans know the club will do all it can to fight off any raids from Manchester City.

Old Trafford chief executive David Gill said: "We have a policy that wages should be 50 per cent or less of turnover.

"We believe we can do that and still retain and attract the stars we need. That's a sensible model. Clubs have other models. Each to their own."

Ferguson moved as O'Shea had just one year left of his contract.

As well as Rooney, Evra and O'Shea, Anderson will also be getting a new deal.

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:30am
Originally posted by Karnage Karnage wrote:

ALEX FERGUSON has stepped up his plan to get Manchester United stars to commit to Old Trafford by offering John O'Shea a £16.5million contract.

The United boss followed Wayne Rooney's deal by getting Patrice Evra to agree to a big contract as revealed exclusively in yesterday's SunSport.

Now defender O'Shea is being tied down.

His £80,000-a-week four-year deal is modest compared with Rooney's £250,000 and it trails Evra's £100,000.

But O'Shea, 29, will have no complaints. This third contract deal also lets United fans know the club will do all it can to fight off any raids from Manchester City.

Old Trafford chief executive David Gill said: "We have a policy that wages should be 50 per cent or less of turnover.

"We believe we can do that and still retain and attract the stars we need. That's a sensible model. Clubs have other models. Each to their own."

Ferguson moved as O'Shea had just one year left of his contract.

As well as Rooney, Evra and O'Shea, Anderson will also be getting a new deal.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL  Fighting off raids from Manchester City LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:40am
Surely those figures cannot be right? 250k for Rooney. I read the other day 160k, Evra, 100k maybe but O'Shea surely 60k or something?
bossofthemoss View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bossofthemoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 8:04am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Surely those figures cannot be right? 250k for Rooney. I read the other day 160k, Evra, 100k maybe but O'Shea surely 60k or something?

I think his basic salary is 160k p/w but add on his image rights and potential bonuses and it comes to 250k. Scary money
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 8:54am
Originally posted by bossofthemoss bossofthemoss wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I think his basic salary is 160k p/w but add on his image rights and potential bonuses and it comes to 250k. Scary money

He is that alright.
Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 10:04am
£80k a week  - i'd settle for that a year

Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 5:26pm

Manchester United utility man John O'Shea believes his side could not be going into their clash with local rivals City in any better spirits.

United picked up a 2-1 win over Wolves in the Premier League on Saturday thanks to a last-gasp goal from South Korean Park Ji-sung.

They now travel to Eastlands on Wednesday with the Blues having earned a 2-0 victory at West Brom on Sunday.

O'Shea said: "Derby games are fantastic to look forward to.

"We couldn't be going into it on a bigger high."

Republic of Ireland international O'Shea lined up in centre midfield alongside Darren Fletcher against Wolves, as a number of key players were absent for United.

"It was strange," he added.

"We knew on Friday we might be a few bodies down and then even more

disappeared. They were all falling away.

"Eventually we managed to get a team and substitutes.

"These things happen but hopefully we will have a lot more lads back for Wednesday."

United are now unbeaten in 24 games and are on the longest run without a defeat from the start of the season during Ferguson's entire reign.

However, form will be thrown out of the window in midweek as the two foes prepare to lock horns at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 1:39pm
He's still keeping O'Shea out of the team. Unhappy

Rafael Da Silva
Top of the Match

Enjoyed ding dong battle with N’Zogbia and came out on top. Held back to stem threat from Frenchman. Excellent cross found Hernandez to seal victory.

Goal.com UK
yapster View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yapster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 3:48pm
O'Shea is a player it has to be said that never fullfilled his potential....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic