Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 159>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Conor Hourihane is not getting a game with Villa and looks the most vulnerable.

Should have went on loan to a league one side.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:02pm
That’s Glenn retired surely 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

That’s Glenn retired surely 

But he is dominating at Fleetwood!!
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:40pm
He's probably played his best football for Ireland in the last 12 months, certainly the home games
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

He's probably played his best football for Ireland in the last 12 months, certainly the home games

I agree he probably played his best for his standards... but when you compare performances to a bench mark it paints a different story.

For example Roy Keanes performance vs Juventus in the champions league semi final was a 9-10.

Richard Dunne vs Russia was a 9-10

Paul McGrath vs Italy was 9-10

Glenn Whelan in the last few games would have been a 3 or 3.5 at best. All hard work but limited quality.

I'm not trying to disrespect Glenn but he was never a 7-10 player and in reality it'll be less difficult to find a successor for him than it has been for the others.
footballman View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footballman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I agree he probably played his best for his standards... but when you compare performances to a bench mark it paints a different story.

For example Roy Keanes performance vs Juventus in the champions league semi final was a 9-10.

Glenn Whelan in the last few games would have been a 3 or 3.5 at best. All hard work but limited quality.

I'm not trying to disrespect Glenn but he was never a 7-10 player and in reality it'll be less difficult to find a successor for him than it has been for the others.
Whelan has been one of our better players in this campaign, if he's a 3/3.5/10 then others would be lucky to be a 1 or 2. It's highly likely he's played his last game for Ireland but he's been a great servant
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 12:27am

I thought the away games in October even more so. He was visibly the rock solid, key play breaker in the middle third for us against the opposition. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 12:58am
Both Whelan and David McGoldrick were finished under the O'Neill/Keane management. They would not have played for Ireland again but Mick brought them back and both have been outstanding. Kenny will have his own ideas going forward but it remains to be seen if he will risk any of the emerging young players in the play-offs. One thing he might do is check out James McCarthy,see what has been going on there.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

That's just you, Lefty - and myriad others here who only see what they want to see regarding Glenn Whelan. Media ratings for his performances in the vital last two games were:

In the Switzerland defeat:  8 (Mirror), 7 (Indo), 7 (Sun), 7 (Sports J), 6 (Irish Times).
In the final Denmark game: 7.5 (Indo), 7 (RTE), 7 (Mirror), 7 (Sports J), 6 (Sun). 

Your 3 - 3.5? Sorry, but that is disrespectful. 

PS: Good post, Footballman.
Cmon brick. The sun , mirror! Look at the stat that we couldn’t muster 50% possession against any team in the last 10 odd years. Not all whelan fault. But he was playing in the most influential position on the pitch for most of them.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:32pm
Regardless of age, Kenny doesn't play with a traditional defensive midfielder. Whelan would have struggled for a call up at any point.

With a number 10 in the hole, we will have 2 Midfielders in behind. Molumby a shoe in. Whoever takes other slot will have to be similarly dynamic but it will be ESSENTIAL that they are comfortable on the ball, and if anything demands to be on the ball. In this instance, even someone like James McCarthy would have to be worried. Great off the ball, not so on it. 

We have to remember that Kenny will primarily be a proactive team not a reactive one. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Regardless of age, Kenny doesn't play with a traditional defensive midfielder. Whelan would have struggled for a call up at any point.

With a number 10 in the hole, we will have 2 Midfielders in behind. Molumby a shoe in. Whoever takes other slot will have to be similarly dynamic but it will be ESSENTIAL that they are comfortable on the ball, and if anything demands to be on the ball. In this instance, even someone like James McCarthy would have to be worried. Great off the ball, not so on it. 

We have to remember that Kenny will primarily be a proactive team not a reactive one. 

McCarthy does his best work as a solitary holding midfielder; if we're going for a flat two in behind an attacking midfielder, Arter/Hendrick/Hourihance/Knight/Cullen are probably more suitable partners for Molumby. In saying that, if Coventry starts getting regular game time next year, he may well leapfrog them all.
We're decent enough..
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

McCarthy does his best work as a solitary holding midfielder; if we're going for a flat two in behind an attacking midfielder, Arter/Hendrick/Hourihance/Knight/Cullen are probably more suitable partners for Molumby. In saying that, if Coventry starts getting regular game time next year, he may well leapfrog them all.

If we use Coventry as a template, Cullen would be the closest, sporting a more evident defensive game, while being very good when in possession too. 

The number 10 spot will be very interesting. At the moment Jack Byrne and Connor Ronan are the only "proper" number 10's available to us.

We have a good few attacking midfield options like Robinson and Browne but they are not number 10's in the mould that Kenny would be looking for. 

Whoever the number 10 is will have to possess a consistent killer pass in the final third. Besides Byrne and Ronan I don't see what other player available to us has that ability.
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:59pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If we use Coventry as a template, Cullen would be the closest, sporting a more evident defensive game, while being very good when in possession too. 

The number 10 spot will be very interesting. At the moment Jack Byrne and Connor Ronan are the only "proper" number 10's available to us.

We have a good few attacking midfield options like Robinson and Browne but they are not number 10's in the mould that Kenny would be looking for. 

Whoever the number 10 is will have to possess a consistent killer pass in the final third. Besides Byrne and Ronan I don't see what other player available to us has that ability.

In fairness to Browne he had a good season last year playing number 10 for Preston, but he has been playing deeper this season due to Daniel Johnsons form
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:03pm
Browne's a different type of attacking midfielder, more an athlete and goalscorer than a creative influence. The only 3  "creative" attacking midfielders we have are Byrne, Ronan, and Judge (with Judge looking past his best if we're being honest). Crowley may yet be an option, as well as Mandroiu if he keeps up his development. I wouldn't entirely look past McGeady doing a job there for a year or two either, his form over the last few years for Preston and Sunderland as a creative influence has been brilliant, and moving in off the wing may be a natural development for him as his career draws to a close.
We're decent enough..
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 7:02pm
I think there is a real possibility of Molumby, Hourihane and Jack Byrne being the midfield three. That sounds lightweight but Kenny likes ball players and those three are very tidy on the ball. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 7:03pm
I wouldn't call Molumby lightweight, he's very combative.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 159>
  Share Topic