Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 159>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Jebediah Springfield Jebediah Springfield wrote:

I reckon he'll pick something up before or just after the transfer window closes. Teams will have no alternative to pick up a free agent who’s not cup tied if they are looking to win a domestic/European trophy. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get at least a team chasing for the league or champions league

Can’t argue with any of that. 
The Champions League LOL

I’ve seen it all. I give up
I have a second hand sarcasm detector for sale, only fifty quid.
Sponsored Links

fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:19am
This thread definitely needs a sarcastometer. 
Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 3:23pm
lol not sure why I said European! I meant just cup tied! I probably meant that’s what teams in general do, not solely applicable to GW. Or maybe I’ve just officially lost the plot. 
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

This forum definitely needs a sarcastometer. 
Fixed
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Any talk of potential clubs?

Haven't heard Whelan linked with anyone yet. I would image that he should find something in the next 2 weeks before the January window closes (not that Whelan is impacted by that) as that's when clubs will be looking to improve things.

If he finds a club and gets some minutes under his belt between now and March that should be good enough for selection for ireland, just needs to keep match fit.

It’s very demoralising following the team at the moment when the above is reality
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 4:15pm
Hearts 2 up Eyes on Apple iOS 13.3
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:52am
any update on his search for a club?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:23am
I certainly don’t feel hugely demoralised. Simply because we have a good number of players heavily involved at PL level, which includes a player at holding midfield. We also have a group of strikers doing well which was a concern this time last year, and Randolph is staking a claim in the PL. It’s also good to see players bubbling away in the Championship. Simply put, there is no reason to guarantee the likes of Whelan, Judge or Hogan a key role in he play offs.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:43am
Would any club decide to give Glenn Whelan a contract?
Fleetwood would, would Fleetwood. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:56am
Not an ideal move anyway before March thought he would have at least got a lower half Championship team.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Not an ideal move anyway before March thought he would have at least got a lower half Championship team.

So the players playing regularly at Championship level and above jump ahead of him in the pecking order. we've a few of those, so not a big issue
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:12am
Sorry but he shouldn't be selected from now on! its not the level of football for a International team with ambitions of qualifying for a major tournament especially when there's other players playing at a higher level and younger.
I appreciate Whelan's efforts/loyalty/service to the Ireland team but its time to let the younger lads have a go and to get experience for either the Euro's if we qualify or for the World Cup qualifiers   
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:13am
Sorry, but we have plenty of options in the Championship and one in the Premiership. There are certain positions I wouldn’t mind playing somebody from a lower division (goalkeeper springs to mind), but the idea that playing regularly in League 1 as a CDM just doesn’t cut it. Nowhere near the intensity or the skill level necessary to compete at international level, less so if we actually qualified with a 37 year old League 1 player as our CDM.

I appreciate MM favours regular game time but once you get past a certain level it shouldn’t be irrelevant.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:14am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

So the players playing regularly at Championship level and above jump ahead of him in the pecking order. we've a few of those, so not a big issue
You would like to think that but is Mick of the same mindset that James McCarthy should be starting in March? I’m not so sure.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:25am

You would like to think that but is Mick of the same mindset that James McCarthy should be starting in March? I’m not so sure.

Other than keeping some League One players around the squad, the idea that Mick picks his old favourites to play in the team is a myth. McClean gets selected for his defensive attributes as a winger, Coleman over Doherty is understandable if not a decision i agree with, and there was nobody taking Whelan's spot from them with the way they were impressing or anything like that. Mick has generally picked players on merit. 
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:30am

Other than keeping some League One players around the squad, the idea that Mick picks his old favourites to play in the team is a myth. McClean gets selected for his defensive attributes as a winger, Coleman over Doherty is understandable if not a decision i agree with, and there was nobody taking Whelan's spot from them with the way they were impressing or anything like that. Mick has generally picked players on merit. 

That is true, and I agree with that. However, I think this might actually be an interesting test case. When MM took over, Whelan was there or thereabouts in a well performing Villa team in the Championship. 

This has changed since then. Also, both Cullen and Molumby and Cullen have done well in the Championship, while Roy Hodgson has utilised McCarthy in the PL. Whelan appears to be about to join up with a mid table League 1 team. MM also was happy to use Judge, provided he was playing in League 1. Once that changed MM changed. But if the same standard is applied, there is a reasonable potential that Whelan could be selected.

CaroG View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:33am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Sorry but he shouldn't be selected from now on! its not the level of football for a International team with ambitions of qualifying for a major tournament especially when there's other players playing at a higher level and younger.
I appreciate Whelan's efforts/loyalty/service to the Ireland team but its time to let the younger lads have a go and to get experience for either the Euro's if we qualify or for the World Cup qualifiers   
Thankfully, we have no such ambitions!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 159>
  Share Topic