Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 159>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:58am
It makes no odds who Glenn is playing for once he keeps doing what he has been doing for years been consistent  he will still be a valuable member of our squad Clap
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

It makes no odds who Glenn is playing for once he keeps doing what he has been doing for years been consistent  he will still be a valuable member of our squad Clap

It's 2051 and Ireland face a crucial qualifier vs Portugal. Ireland are without their key holding midfielder due to injury and are turning to 67 year old stalwart Glenn Whelan. He's always been a valuable member of the squad, he never lets us down, and he loves playing for us. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:10am

Fair enough point
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:21am
On a separate note did anyone get the WhatsAp with Stephen Cluxton as an old man in his goalkeeping jersey under the caption Dublin going for 25 in a row off course ye did something similiar was doing the rounds on Andy Moran.
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:50am
didnt hourihane start in the holding mid role vrs spurs??? anyone see how he done?? is he an option there for us
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:52am
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

didnt hourihane start in the holding mid role vrs spurs??? anyone see how he done?? is he an option there for us

There's a bit of discussion about it on page 211 of the James McCarthy thread.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

It's 2051 and Ireland face a crucial qualifier vs Portugal. Ireland are without their key holding midfielder due to injury and are turning to 67 year old stalwart Glenn Whelan. He's always been a valuable member of the squad, he never lets us down, and he loves playing for us. 
This sums you up perfectly Clap
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

On a separate note did anyone get the WhatsAp with Stephen Cluxton as an old man in his goalkeeping jersey under the caption Dublin going for 25 in a row off course ye did something similiar was doing the rounds on Andy Moran.
There’s a bog ball thread...
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

Keeps doing what he's doing??? The fact that you can't even describe how he benefits the team shows how deluded people are about Whelan.

He's as limited a footballer as you'll find and even as a holding midfielder he is left wanting.

Ah Jaysus look who’s back bless, you have been his greatest detractor under your 40 different reincarnations LOL
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 1:31pm
Glenn Whelan will start against Switzerland despite your one man campaign and all scottish football is crap bar Celtic 🤡
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:04pm
ouch LOL even I wouldn't go that far
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:11pm
I think the difficulty for some Irish fans is that it feels like a serious regression. In Declan Rice it looked like we had a ready made, long term DM who would sit into the breach. This was after Meyler finished the World Cup Qualification campaign in 2017 in the role. Since Rice defected and Meyler form dipped we have needed an alternative, and the best it seems we can do is go back to Glenn Whelan. Whelan has been out of the team for some time, and now appears more integral than ever before.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:12pm
Have a look on twitter at hearts' announcement of him. Page upon page of villa fans saying they've got a hell of a player, wishing him all the best, praising him profusely. It was the same at Stoke, where they spent up to about 20 million on players for their midfield who couldn't get him out. 

But Dunphy says he drives a Ferrari and doesn't know what he does on a football pitch so he's sh*te.

He struggled for us a good few times by the fact that for a large amount of his international career he was played in a 2 man midfield with a player tasked with doing the same job as him. Before it was Meyler it was McCarthy, and it was Andrews before that. They got in each other's way.

There is still absolutely no way he should start against the Swiss, he has been unattached until this week.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:33pm
Here we go again with the Dunphy stuff LOL it is painful at this stage.

Whelan is the symbol of a 10 year span of utter mediocrity (at best) for the senior Irish team. He is everything we should be aspiring to move away from. Instead, as just mentioned, we are somehow going back to him**. It is beyond grim in the darkest time in Irish football I can recall.

** not a massive surprise tbf, we appointed a has been as manager who was only going to go one way with his squads

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Have a look on twitter at hearts' announcement of him. Page upon page of villa fans saying they've got a hell of a player, wishing him all the best, praising him profusely. It was the same at Stoke, where they spent up to about 20 million on players for their midfield who couldn't get him out. 

But Dunphy says he drives a Ferrari and doesn't know what he does on a football pitch so he's sh*te.

He struggled for us a good few times by the fact that for a large amount of his international career he was played in a 2 man midfield with a player tasked with doing the same job as him. Before it was Meyler it was McCarthy, and it was Andrews before that. They got in each other's way.

There is still absolutely no way he should start against the Swiss, he has been unattached until this week.
Correct, apart from he should probably start as the alternatives are worse!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Correct, apart from he should probably start as the alternatives are worse!

I personally rate diamond geezer 'Arry Arter but how and ever
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:21pm

Whelan is the symbol of a 10 year span of utter mediocrity (at best) for the senior Irish team. He is everything we should be aspiring to move away from. Instead, as just mentioned, we are somehow going back to him**. It is beyond grim in the darkest time in Irish football I can recall.

** not a massive surprise tbf, we appointed a has been as manager who was only going to go one way with his squads

For large periods of that time he was the best we had available to us as a holding midfielder. We can't move away from those, we'd be ripped to shreds by any half decent side. You need only look at every time something went wrong for O'Neill and he switched to essentially a 4-0-6 formation to see that. 

He'd have played better deployed as he has been thus far by mick, as the one defensive midfielder in a 3.

I agree that Mick's remit naturally will encourage him to be risk-averse with selection.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 15 Aug 2019 at 5:22pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:31pm

For large periods of that time he was the best we had available to us as a holding midfielder. We can't move away from those, we'd be ripped to shreds by any half decent side. You need only look at every time something went wrong for O'Neill and he switched to essentially a 4-0-6 formation to see that. 

He'd have played better deployed as he has been thus far by mick, as the one defensive midfielder in a 3.

I agree that Mick's remit naturally will encourage him to be risk-averse with selection.

I've been down this road before so many feckin times. I can't believe I'm going down it again!

Whelan is what he is. He has had an incredible career all things considered and I think he should be applauded for that.

Have I wanted him to be the heart of our midfield for any season over the past decade? No, I most definitely have not. He is not good enough to play at the level I would want Ireland to at least aspire to play at, if not reach. Sheffield Wednesday. Stoke City. Aston Villa (championship). Hearts. He has had a brilliant career all things considered, but the fact so many believe that he should be a central cog in our midfield the past decade sums up the absolute mediocrity we have settled for. 

So so many reasons why he shouldn't have played with us in the past (gone over a thousand times), a million more reasons why he shouldn't be near our current squad. This is so depressing in 2019 to be still talking about Glenn Whelan. Better still to be talking about whether Mick McCarthy will select Glenn Whelan LOL oh my god, just typing that made a little sick come up

Edited by Hans Moleman - 15 Aug 2019 at 5:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 159>
  Share Topic