You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 159>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 6:35am

Glenn Whelan has backed Paul Green to fit right in if he is picked for the Republic of Ireland’s game against Armenia on Friday.

Giovanni Trapattoni’s side begin their Euro 2012 qualification campaign in Yerevan and Green, who played in the recent friendlies against Paraguay, Algeria and Argentina, is expected to replace the injured Keith Andrews alongside Whelan in the Irish midfield.

The 27-year-old Derby County man is a latecomer to the international fold, but has done well in his appearances so far, scoring the opener in the 3-0 win over the Algerians, who went on to shut out England at the World Cup in South Africa.

It looks like a straight choice between him and Manchester United’s Darron Gibson to partner Whelan in the middle, and the Stoke City man thinks whoever comes in is more than capable of doing a good job against the Armenians.

"We don't know the starting team yet and there'll be few people fighting for Keith's spot," said Whelan. "If its Paul or Darron who gets the nod, I'm sure they'll do their best.

"Paul waited a long time to get his chance in the summer friendly matches and he did well. He's a terrific player. I'd say Keith and I are more defensive-minded than himself but he's well capable of playing in this match."

Meanwhile, Preston North End winger Keith Treacy has joined Andrews and Damien Duff on the sidelines. Treacy might have been set to fill in on the left of midfield with Duff and Stephen Hunt not available, but a groin injury for him sees the problem in the position added to for Trapattoni.

Treacy, like Duff, may be fit to tale on Andorra at the Aviva Stadium next Tuesday, however.

Sponsored Links

Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 6:08am
Whelan eager for return to action

(UKPA) – 2 hours ago

Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan cannot wait for the chance to put his World Cup misery behind him as he targets European success.

The 26-year-old Stoke player, like the rest of his team-mates, was shattered by Ireland's controversial play-off exit in Paris as France squeezed through to what turned out to be a disastrous campaign in South Africa with a helping hand from Thierry Henry.

Whelan said: "Because of what happened in the last campaign, everyone was just hoping for this to come around as soon as possible. Hopefully with this campaign here, everyone can forget about what happened in Paris."

Ireland will return to competitive action for the first time since that infamous night on Friday as they attempt to launch their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign with victory over Armenia in Yerevan.

Andorra head for Dublin's Aviva Stadium four days later, and a maximum points haul would give Giovanni Trapattoni's men just the start they desire, and send a message to Group B rivals Russia and Slovakia.

Whelan added: "We are not going into any campaign thinking, 'Let's go for second'.

"We are definitely going for top and hopefully that's the case.

"We know we have some tough places to go to and we are going to have some hard games, but we can just worry about ourselves. That's what we are going to do and hopefully qualify.

"It doesn't matter if we are playing Armenia or Russia, we will worry about ourselves."

Kingdom View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingdom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 6:39am
He's a legend as far as I'm concerned. I get the impression he's always honoured just to be involved and seems to realise just how much it means to us as it does the players. Everytime the chap speaks, sensible stuff comes out. If only I was as lucky!
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Kingdom Kingdom wrote:

He's a legend as far as I'm concerned. I get the impression he's always honoured just to be involved and seems to realise just how much it means to us as it does the players. Everytime the chap speaks, sensible stuff comes out. If only I was as lucky!

can definitely see that in him alright.
He was in tears after his goal against Italy
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

Whelan eager for return to action

(UKPA) – 2 hours ago

Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan cannot wait for the chance to put his World Cup misery behind him as he targets European success.

The 26-year-old Stoke player, like the rest of his team-mates, was shattered by Ireland's controversial play-off exit in Paris as France squeezed through to what turned out to be a disastrous campaign in South Africa with a helping hand from Thierry Henry.

Whelan said: "Because of what happened in the last campaign, everyone was just hoping for this to come around as soon as possible. Hopefully with this campaign here, everyone can forget about what happened in Paris."

Ireland will return to competitive action for the first time since that infamous night on Friday as they attempt to launch their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign with victory over Armenia in Yerevan.

Andorra head for Dublin's Aviva Stadium four days later, and a maximum points haul would give Giovanni Trapattoni's men just the start they desire, and send a message to Group B rivals Russia and Slovakia.

Whelan added: "We are not going into any campaign thinking, 'Let's go for second'.

"We are definitely going for top and hopefully that's the case.

"We know we have some tough places to go to and we are going to have some hard games, but we can just worry about ourselves. That's what we are going to do and hopefully qualify.

"It doesn't matter if we are playing Armenia or Russia, we will worry about ourselves."

great to hear! none of this nonsense that armenia should be feared. we want to be in poland/ukraine and these teams should be canon fodder
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 10:46am
yeah he seems a great pro. the Faye incident when he was calling for more professionalism and when then the Ramsey injury he showed pure glass. Has come on heaps and bounds on the field too
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 7:23pm

HE’S BEEN an ever present for Giovanni Trapattoni since being called into the manager’s first squad, for the May 2008 friendly against Serbia. Even now, though, the Italian can surprise Glenn Whelan, not least when he describes the midfielder and Keith Andrews as “a beautiful couple”.

Whelan, mildly bemused, nods on being told of the compliment, returning it by expressing his happiness at the manager’s return to duty after his health-scare last month. “If I’m anything like him at his age I’ll be really happy,” he said. “You can see him out on the pitch at training, still doing warm-ups and running around. He has looked after himself really well. He told us that he was really disappointed not to be at the Argentina game, hopefully now he is much better and he will be there for us come Friday.”

But with Andrews’ injury leading to the break-up of the beautiful couple, Whelan awaits word on whether it will be Darron Gibson or Paul Green who partners him in midfield against Armenia, on a night when the Stoke City player will win his 21st cap. “Of course it’s disappointing for Keith, but it gives someone else a chance to get in and do well – and if they do, then Keith might have to fight to get back in. But that’s good to have in any squad, it just makes people try and improve and do better when they get a chance.”

Whelan was familiar with Green long before the Derby midfielder joined the squad in May, their first brush at the end of 2004 when Whelan’s Sheffield Wednesday met Green’s Doncaster in a League One game.

“We’ve had a few little barnies, I would say, we’ve crossed paths a few times going back over the years. That first one was like a derby game as well, which helped spice things up. I think he hit me once, which I thought was over the top a little bit. I haven’t got him back yet,” he smiled, “but I’ll try soon.

“But you could tell with Paul that he had the ability to kick on and do really well. Then he got his move to Derby, which has helped him come on leaps and bounds. He is playing for a big team now and doing really well for himself.”

“No matter who comes in for Keith the manager has his style and way of playing, and to be picked you need to fit in to that. He’s seen enough of Paul playing for Derby to be happy to throw him straight in. I’d say Keith and I are more defensive-minded than Paul, but he’s well capable of playing in this match. And knowing Paul, the way he is, if he’s selected he’ll just take it like any other game, it wont effect him.”

Also vying for a place in the team is Whelan’s international room-mate Liam Lawrence who left Stoke for Portsmouth on transfer deadline day, with Marc Wilson making the opposite journey. While dropping a division didn’t sit well with Lawrence, Whelan understands the move.

“There is no point being at a Premiership club and not playing any games, what is the point in that? He always said he just wants to play football so if he does really well at Portsmouth you never know what will happen.”

The arrival of Wilson and Jon Walters from Ipswich last month has upped the Irish contingent at Stoke, Walters featuring in the club’s last three games. “I played with Jon at under-21 level for Ireland, so I knew him already. The manager (Tony Pulis) has been trying to sign him for the last two or three seasons, so he’s finally got his man.

“Jon’s been asking me about the Irish set-up, he’s obviously keen to get called up, as any player would be for his country. If he does things right and scores some goals for Stoke he’ll make some headlines.”

It’s just a week shy of two years since Whelan made his competitive debut for Ireland, scoring the second goal in the 2-1 win over Georgia in Germany in the opening game of the World Cup qualifying campaign.

He’s hopeful of a similar result in Armenia. “We’re not going into any campaign thinking ‘let’s go for second’, we’re definitely going for top. Two years ago there were a few players like myself coming on the scene, who hadn’t had many international games. Now, a lot of us have picked up quite a few caps. That campaign gave us the experience of playing in the big games in stadiums away from home. Absorbing that, hopefully, will hold us in good stead for this campaign.”

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:54am

GLENN Whelan fears that a rash challenge in Friday's European Championship win in Armenia could cost him his place in the Ireland team - with the possibility that the Stoke City man will be rested for tomorrow's qualifier at home to Andorra.

Ireland's disciplinary record under Steve Staunton was earmarked as one of the things which Giovanni Trapattoni wanted to change when he took over two years ago, and the Irish players did clean up their act under the Italian in the World Cup campaign.

But Whelan was booked two minutes from time for a clumsy challenge on Henrikh Mkhitaryan, and the Stoke man -- who has missed just one competitive game under Trap -- now faces the prospect of a suspension if he's booked in the rest of the campaign.

Trap's assistant Marco Tardelli yesterday suggested that Trapattoni would at least consider resting Whelan for the Andorra game to make sure he's free to play in the first game of a massive double header against Russia (home) and Slovakia (away) next month, and Whelan admits that he's concerned about his yellow peril.

"The player got in behind me and Paul Green so I had to make an effort. I'd claim it as a good tackle but it was stupid for me to get a yellow card so early in the campaign, and I know that could cost me further down the line in the group in terms of a suspension," Whelan says.

"At the time I can't be thinking of that, I was only thinking of this game. Maybe it was a silly thing for me to do and it may force me to miss a game but I can't do anything about it now.

"It's up to the manager what he does now. He might choose to leave me out at some stage but I want to play in every game. It's out of my hands.

"I am always a committed player and I don't hold back when I play for Ireland. But I know now that it was stupid of me to get booked in the first game of the campaign," he added.

Trapattoni will decide after training this morning whether or not to change his team, but Tardelli yesterday said it was "50/50" whether Whelan could miss out.

"I don't know, Giovanni will decide the squad on Monday. It's possible to rest some players but I don't know if that is during the match or before," Tardelli said.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 5:01pm

Republic of Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan hopes that Russia are panicking when they travel to Dublin for next month’s Euro 2012 qualifier.

Whelan’s Ireland top Group B after beating Andorra 3-1 at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday evening, right on the back of their next opponents Russia losing 1-0 at home to Slovakia, who a- like Ireland - now have six points from six.

Ireland play in Slovakia on October 12 and before that have another massive game against the Russians in Dublin, and Whelan hopes the pressure on the Russians after Tuesday’s reverse will benefit the Boys in Green.

“Hopefully there is a little bit more pressure on Russia now coming over to us because their next game is massive after a defeat,” the Stoke City midfielder said after playing an hour of the game against Andorra (with the game won he was then taken off as a yellow card would have seen him suspended against Russia).

“I think it’s going to be tough. They have some great individuals and are a good team but we just need to worry about ourselves and hopefully we can put in the performance to get the right result.”

Whelan was pleased that Ireland came through their games against Armenia and Andorra with a full haul of points and also praised the showing of Aiden McGeady against Andorra as the Spartak Moscow man caused the minnows problems throughout.

“We set out to get six points and do as well as we can and I think we have done that,” Whelan continued.

“The goal at the end of the first half unnerved us a little bit but we came out in the second half and gave a professional performance.

“You can only beat the team that is in front of you. No disrespect to Andorra, but these are the games that we have to win. I think at times we cruised a little bit but we were professional in the second half. I think they were playing 4-5-1 and that’s always hard to break down.

“I think Aiden was on top form tonight and he caused chaos and having a player to break them down and do that always helps.”

Kevin Kilbane and Kevin Doyle had given Ireland a 2-0 lead, but there was a brief moment of panic when Christian Martinez pulled one back just before the break. Whelan says that manager Giovanni Trapattoni was calm at the interval though and Robbie Keane’s 54th minute goal then killed off Andorra.

“He’s the coolest man I know, Whelan said of the Italian manager. “He came in and obviously we were disappointed that they scored early on but we knew we had another 45 minutes to go and the early goal in the second half took the nerves away.”

Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 3:19am

Whelan prepared to switchclubs to remain in international 

By Ruaidhri O'Connor

Tuesday November 16 2010

THE fact that a sizeable group of his regular starters are struggling for first-team action is an issue that exercises the mind of Giovanni Trapattoni, but one of those -- Glenn Whelan -- is hoping to reduce its number by one by January.

The Clondalkin man has started just three matches for Stoke City this season and, although he has come off the bench on seven occasions, the 26-year-old is concerned that if his spell on the sidelines continued after Christmas then his Ireland place would be in jeopardy.

So, he is ready to sit down and discuss the matter with Stoke manager Tony Pulis when the transfer window opens in January. Having started 25 league matches last season, his frustration is more than understandable.

The Welshman has told Whelan that the reason he has not been selected thus far is that his international games last summer left him mentally and physically drained at the start of this campaign. And as a result of the form of his replacements Dean Whitehead, Marc Wilson and Rory Delap, he cannot get back in the team now he has been rested.

Ironically, tomorrow's international friendly against Norway represents a chance for Whelan to get some game time and remind Pulis of what he can do. His international form has been rewarded at club level before and he is hoping he can win his place back with a strong performance. If not, he says he will consider his options.

"I want to be involved with Ireland as much as I can, involved in these games and the qualifiers and playing games," he said at last night's launch of the FAI Late Night League programmes in Darndale.

"If it means I move on and leave the club, so be it. But I'm not thinking about that now, I'm thinking of getting into the team and going from there. We'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

"He (Pulis) hasn't told me anything bad or that he doesn't want me in his plans. He told me to keep working hard and that I'll get a chance -- so that's what I'm doing. Hopefully, if I do well for my country the manager will take a bit of notice and realise that I can get back to good form and get back in the team."

Given the presence in his squad of a handful of players who are not getting regular game time with their clubs, Trapattoni is understandably concerned by the trend.

And, while Whelan has not discussed the matter with the Italian, he is under no illusions that his Ireland place is at stake if he cannot get game time.

"I know myself," he admitted. "I'm not stupid and if you're not playing week in, week out you're going to lose your match sharpness and not get as fit.

"But you need to be playing well for your club for these chances to come around and I need to get playing as soon as possible. Come next year if I'm not playing, I can't really see these things coming around because there will be other lads playing and they will have a fighting chance of getting into the squad.

"If you ask anybody, you want to be playing as many games as you can and I think I've only started three games. It's not enough. I'm working harder to try and get in the team probably than I've ever done so I just need a chance to get in.

"I had it a couple of years ago -- I was playing for Ireland and wasn't really involved (at club level), so hopefully it will be the same thing again. But I'll be working hard here and when I go back to Stoke as well."

- Ruaidhri O'Connor

Irish Independent

Edited by Jokerman - 16 Nov 2010 at 3:20am
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 3:40am
he is only getting minutes , he will eb well short of full match fitness if this keeps up , he has to move
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 12:04pm
Glenn Whelan

Came on for Walters with 20 minutes remaining and worked hard, adding a bit of solidity when Stoke began to struggle to keep up with the Wigan counter attack.

Goal.com
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 12:55pm
I love whelan as he gives his all for club and country but I don't think he is up to the standard to play in centre midfield for ireland.

Clark is way better.
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Mick_G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

I love whelan as he gives his all for club and country but I don't think he is up to the standard to play in centre midfield for ireland. Clark is way better.

Get a grip will ya Clark has only played a handful
Of games......Jesus
traphasntaclue View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traphasntaclue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 3:10pm
so what if lads have only played a few games its very evident they are good players coleman cunningham mccarthy meyler clarke should all be playing against macadonia this "their too young" is a load of crap!kilbane green whelen are just not good enough!
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 5:06pm
I'm a villa fan and i have seen all of clarks games for villa and i can see why he plays week in week out in the premiership. He is good now, but he will only get better.
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Mick_G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

I'm a villa fan and i have seen all of clarks games for villa and i can see why he plays week in week out in the premiership. He is good now, but he will only get better.

Fair enough Dave no doubting the lads talent just hate the way people on here
are so quick to rag on players as soon as a decent prospect comes along
whelan is a great player ,his last couple of games for Ireland have been poor but to be fair he hasnt had great support in Green and is also lacking game time.

I really like Whelan and hope he either gets a move or starts getting regular
game time for stoke (although cant see it happening)

p.s i dont buy the whole "To Young" crap that trap comes out with would just like to see a bit more of Clark before he is thrown straight into the starting 11 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:33pm
Whelan can do a job for us but he is limited and centre mid is defo in need of improvement. Hopefully the welsh game we can have a look at a combo of McCarthy and Meylor, or possibly 4-5-1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 159>
  Share Topic