You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 159>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote city4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:42am
he is not irish
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:43am

Retarded Post of the Year and that's saying something

Edited by Denis Irwin - 01 Aug 2010 at 8:43am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Retarded Post of the Year and that's saying something

Agreed. pure nonsense
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 4:09pm
so that implies noel gallagher, morrissey and john lennon aren't irish either. what a load of sh*te. how ironic his user name is "cityforlife" and his player rating is phil babb and he's on a nationalist tirade.
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
billybunter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

so that implies noel gallagher, morrissey and john lennon aren't irish either. what a load of sh*te. how ironic his user name is "cityforlife" and his player rating is phil babb and he's on a nationalist tirade.

whats ironic is your post on paul mcshane. You should be ashamed to call yourself an ireland fan.
city4life View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote city4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 9:05pm
shamefull is lads on here begging english rejects to play for us and england were one of the worst teams in the world cup
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 9:59am
Originally posted by city4life city4life wrote:

shamefull is lads on here begging english rejects to play for us and england were one of the worst teams in the world cup

Who's beggin anyone?Confused
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:37am
Originally posted by McGoldrick McGoldrick wrote:

Exactly Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:46am

begging? ha. hardly. trap has left jamie o'hara to his own to consider. and paul green chose of his own accord to make himself available to ireland. i don't think trap would be begging a player who is playing for derby county.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:51am
Originally posted by billybunter billybunter wrote:

Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

whats ironic is your post on paul mcshane. You should be ashamed to call yourself an ireland fan.

my post on paul mcshane is fact. as a fan i'm entitled to give my judgement on player's ability. i don't care where they're from, if they're eligible and play well then i'm happy to see my team be successful as a result. you see player's of different ethnicity in rugby, cricket, tennis etc so no reason why it should be any different in football. cityforlife has decided to become an ignorant nationalist bigot. i'm sure if he checked his own ancestry then he'd be pleasantly surprised what it throws up. ireland has a history of emigration so of course there is going to be players in england who have irish parents or grandparents. those are the fifa eligibility rules and we are perfectly entitled to take advantage of them and so are professional footballers. the more players available to us, the better.   

Edited by CPS89 - 02 Aug 2010 at 10:53am
Propagandhi View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 5:39am

Glenn Whelan has set his sights on being fit for Stoke's opening game of the season against Wolves as he battles with a calf injury.

The 26-year-old midfielder picked up the problem in Saturday's friendly against Burnley and will play no further part in the Potters' pre-season preparations.

Whelan will also miss Republic of Ireland's friendly with Argentina next week as he focuses on a 14th August return against Mick McCarthy's men at Molineux.

"Over the last couple of days the injury has eased off," Whelan told The Sentinel.

"I'm hoping it's not as bad as first feared.

"It's obviously a bad time to get injured, you put in all that hard work over the last four or five weeks and then you get something like this so close to the season.

"But I feel pretty lucky to have got a couple of 90 minutes under my belt, so it's not a case of chasing fitness now, but just maintaining it.

"Hopefully, everything will be OK for the first game."

International misery

Whelan, who has 18 caps for his country, would almost certainly have been involved in Giovanni Trapattoni's plans for the game against the World Cup quarter-finalists next Wednesday, which celebrates the re-opening of the new Lansdowne Road.

But Whelan concedes there is no way he could have played in the illustrious fixture.

"If I'd been fit, I'd have loved to have played but the way things are at the minute with the injury, I'm going to have to pull out of that one," he added.

"I don't think the manager would be too pleased if I said I wanted to play in it so close to the new season, especially with it being a friendly."

darragh1888 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh1888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 7:30am
Gibson would do for me personally!
"26 + 6 = 1, No Surrender"
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 7:41am
You's are forgetting about Stephen Quinn - ok i do jest here as there's no way trap would pick him due to his unfortunate lack of height which trap requires of his midfielders for set pieces's etcc but he has started preseason well for Sheff Utd & is the industrious sort trap likes!!

I reckon it will be a Gibson & Andrews partnership seeing as Gibson looks to have progressed a bit with Manure & i'm thinking after our last few games trap might keep with what he's been doing since Paris & fancy a more adventourous display with it being the 1st game in Lansdowne & all that
Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 10:29am
Robbie's picked up an injury , although not serious.

Or maybe its to do with a move from Spurs?

Edited by Belfast Green - 03 Aug 2010 at 10:35am
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 1:16pm

Stoke City: Masterblaster Whelan nearly back to his best after injury setback

Stoke%20City:%20Masterblaster%20Whelan%20nearly%20back%20to%20his%20best%20after%20injury%20setback

GLENN Whelan refused to feel sorry for himself – despite being only an inch away from ending his frustrating start to the season in spectacular style.

Whelan, pictured below, was well below his own standards in the season's opening two games as he struggled to shake off the effects of a calf injury.

He was relegated to the bench for Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Chelsea, but came on to almost snatch an equaliser when his 25-yard shot smacked against the underside of the bar and bounced to safety.

He said: "I was on my own so I looked up and thought I would have a shot. I was nearly off to celebrate to be honest.

"Even when it hits the bar and bounces down you look at the linesman to see if he's going to flag, but it wasn't to be.

"Had that gone in, we'd have been right back in it at 1-1 and it would have been a different game, but I thought the lads did really well. This was a much better performance than last time."

City's 7-0 hiding at Chelsea in April was their heaviest league defeat in 12 years and was an experience the players were determined would not be repeated.

Whelan said they were not intimidated by returning to the champions, even though Chelsea had begun their season with 6-0 wins over West Brom and Wigan.

He said: "The only thing we were thinking about was putting things right after what happened last time.

"We wanted to prove people wrong and show we could give Chelsea a game."

The 26-year-old midfielder had no complaints at being left out of the starting line up after admitting he was not at his best in the opening-day defeat at Wolves or last week's loss at home to Tottenham.

He has not got going after a pre-season calf injury, but hopes Saturday's impressive substitute appearance is the start of better things to come.

He said: "I was disappointed to be on the bench, but I know in myself I haven't been right in the last few games after my injury. I am still trying to get match sharpness.

"I was flying in pre-season and I think the coaching staff would say I was one of the fittest players, but then my calf went.

"I missed two weeks and they were probably the most important two weeks of the lot because the lads were getting games under their belts.

"I rushed back, which probably hasn't helped me, but it is up to me now to get back in the team."

Edited by Propagandhi® - 30 Aug 2010 at 1:17pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 1:19pm
Thread renamed. Jaysis prop.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 1:20pm

Thread renamed. Jaysis prop.
I was just about to suggest you do that.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 6:33am

Republic of Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan has his sights set on topping Group B and securing an automatic place at the European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.

Ireland kick off their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign against Armenia in Yerevan on Friday and follow that up with a home game against Andorra next Tuesday.

Whelan admitted that it will be tough to finish above top seeds Russia and World Cup qualifiers Slovakia, but he hopes that the defeat to France has made the squad more determined to avoid the play-off route.

He said: 'We are not going into any campaign thinking 'let's go for second'. We are definitely going for top and hopefully that is the case.

'We know we have got some tough places to go and we are going to have some hard games, but we'll just worry about ourselves and what we can do.'

Whelan is one of a number of players who earned their first caps under Giovanni Trapattoni and have since gone on to become regulars in the team.

The Stoke City midfielder believes that Ireland are a wiser, more battle-hardened team than the one that set out to qualify for the 2010 World Cup back in September 2008.

He said: 'If you look at two years ago, there was a few players coming on the scene that had not had that many games internationally.

'But now quite a lot of us have picked up a fair few caps and we've been through a campaign already. Hopefully, that will help us and we can get through.

'We have been away and got some big results, especially the Italian game and how we got a late result out there. It is just little things like that you remember.'

The most difficult obstacle for automatic qualification are Dick Advocaat's Russia, but Whelan believes Ireland's recent performances will have the Russians looking over their shoulder.

'Going to Russia we know it is going to be hard, but hopefully the Russians are thinking the same when they have to come to Dublin,' said Whelan.

'We want to top the group, so if we want to top the group we have to do better than Russia. But it is not just the Russians, there are other teams in there who will be thinking the same.'

Whelan has recovered from a calf injury picked up in pre-season, which forced him to miss last month's friendly with Argentina, and is expected to win his 21st cap on Friday.

Having experienced the highs and lows of international football in the past two years, Whelan is eager for the competitive action to begin again.

'This is the first game. We have to go out there and get the right result and play really well to get this campaign going. That is what we are setting out for', he said.

'Because of what happened in the last campaign, everyone was hoping for this one to come around as soon as possible. It's here now and hopefully everyone forgets about what happened in France.'

Edited by Propagandhi® - 31 Aug 2010 at 6:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 159>
  Share Topic