Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 159>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Hearts relegated, revolutionary manager Daniel Stendel on the brink and fans running around like headless neanderthals. Couldn't happen to a nicer shower of dickflops.  Meanwhile old Glenn is at Fleetwood - a better club in a better league . . .  and looking forward to the Euros! Suck it up. 

jaysus LOL
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:41pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. 

So would a Glasgow Celtic patriot be a British scoundrel or an Irish scoundrel? 
A 'Glasgow Celtic patriot' is a contradiction in terms. There is no country called Glasgow Celtic, nor disputed territory. 
If you want  to try and  be a ****, at least be able to get it out right.LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 4:04pm

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. 

So would a Glasgow Celtic patriot be a British scoundrel or an Irish scoundrel? 
A 'Glasgow Celtic patriot' is a contradiction in terms. There is no country called Glasgow Celtic, nor disputed territory. 
If you want  to try and  be a ****, at least be able to get it out right.LOL
It's a rhetorical Celtic patriot. Anyway, you should be deliriously happy after winning the SPL duopoly for the zillionth time and not calling me obscene names. Brother Walfrid will be ropable. 

FOI: Apparently, the influx of Irish and Scottish to fight in the American Civil War were called Celtic Patriots. Some were even from Glasgow, imagine that. But scoundrels all.
Yes, but were they called Glasgow Celtic patriots? For that is a very different thing, as it is possible to have Celtic nationalism and patriotism.  I'm also aware of the Celtic Patriots, but thanks.

FOI: it hasn't been called the SPL in some time.

FFOI: I didn't call you an obscene name

FFFOI: What the f**k does 'FOI' mean?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:54am
How is it a typo? That makes no sense at all!LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:40am

Get over it. Go back to celebrating.  
I need things explained to me, always. It's a form of OCD. Now; how is that a typo? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:25am

I need things explained to me, always. It's a form of OCD. Now; how is that a typo? 
FYI: Have been dealing with the obtuse FOI office of late. It was a slip and not a rab. Get over it. 
But 'o' is nowhere near 'y'. So you are saying that you're an idiot, but we had already established that. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 1:47pm

FYI: Have been dealing with the obtuse FOI office of late. It was a slip and not a rab. Get over it. 
But 'o' is nowhere near 'y'. So you are saying that you're an idiot, but we had already established that. 
Suffering Jazus!
This is tremendous fun.LOL
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:08pm
Missed out on a return to the championship tonight.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Have to say I watched both legs of the play off and was really expecting more from him at that level.he was tidy in his passing but he just kept the ball moving (sideways mostly) and he never got above a trot in both games.

Also fleetwood deserved noting from either tie...they gave away some awful goals but were also robbed of two peons in both games.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Have to say I watched both legs of the play off and was really expecting more from him at that level.he was tidy in his passing but he just kept the ball moving (sideways mostly) and he never got above a trot in both games.

Also fleetwood deserved noting from either tie...they gave away some awful goals but were also robbed of two peons in both games.

Sounds familiar.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 12:21pm
Tbf the type of player he is he could move to LSL and he wouldn't be running rings around people. He does what he does well...We've seen him for 15 years odd now surely you know what he does at this stage!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 12:21pm
Not sure why its surprising. Whelan's the sort of player who'll perform the same way no matter what level you put him at. You could put him in the Conference and he wouldn't dominate the game, he'd still take possession and just move it on as he always does.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 12:31pm
He's doing what his role involves.

Not sure why a holding midfielder would dominate a game
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Because as you drop down the levels, typically your overall game will be so superior to the opposition that you will be able to dictate the pace of the game. The idea that just because you're a "holding midfielder" means you literally don't have to do anything other than "hold" is part of the reason Whelan has thrived in an Irish midfield for a decade. By doing nothing other than the bare minimum of what his position requires, he's convinced a significant number of people that it would actually be impossible for anyone in his position to do more than that bare minimum. Quite a trick.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 2:23pm
Not a lot changes as you play further down the divisions, you could argue it will get a lot more physical but the concept is still the same.

No doubt the quality of opposition will be more noticeable too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Because as you drop down the levels, typically your overall game will be so superior to the opposition that you will be able to dictate the pace of the game. The idea that just because you're a "holding midfielder" means you literally don't have to do anything other than "hold" is part of the reason Whelan has thrived in an Irish midfield for a decade. By doing nothing other than the bare minimum of what his position requires, he's convinced a significant number of people that it would actually be impossible for anyone in his position to do more than that bare minimum. Quite a trick.

In fairness to Whelan from 2008 on he played over 450 games at International, premier league and championship level for Ireland, Stoke City and Aston Villa. He averaged 35 Premier League appearances a year for Stoke over nearly a decade as a "holding midfielder" and only scored 5 goals so he literally probably just did the job that he was told to do.

The only people Whelan "convinced" he could do the role better than him are the managers at Stoke City , Aston Villa and Ireland who looked at him and thought he must be doing something right in it!! Managers pick teams not fans and i hope that any of our current crop of new young midfielders coming thru under Stephen Kenny go on next year to either get promotion with their clubs or get moves to premier league clubs and then go on to make 35 plus PL appearances a season over the next 9 years.

We would be in great shape if we could get 8-10 of our best 15 players playing at that level on a regular basis.

Edited by irelandshirts - 07 Jul 2020 at 3:21pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 3:27pm

That's a cheap attack on Glenn Whelan - the most gutless, tacky sledge on an Irish international I've ever read. To allege his international career was based on a "trick" as he performed the "bare minimum" is truly atrocious, especially from someone who climbs high moral ground with such agility. 

No one will record Whelan's career in green as iconic, no one will describe him as a high achiever, but your senseless, nauseous bashing of a solid professional and a decent bloke is rancid to the core. I find it hard to believe that you - who takes such a comprehensive interest in the careers and progress of so many Irish players abroad - could stoop so low and unload such a diatribe against one of our most loyal servants. A truly awful post.

Nothing gutless about it. It's an explanation as to why Whelan doesn't stand out at lower levels, as you might expect from a man who has so much experience at higher levels. 

When I say Whelan does "the bare minimum", that is not insinuating that he is lazy, merely that he is risk averse in the extreme. He takes an incredibly narrow definition of what the holding midfielders job is, and then executes that particular interpretation. Due to this cautiousness he rarely, if ever, strays from this role, and consequently his performances look pretty much the same no matter who he's playing against. It could be Andorra, it could be Austria, he'll do the same thing. That is my point.
We're decent enough..
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

In fairness to Whelan from 2008 on he played over 450 games at International, premier league and championship level for Ireland, Stoke City and Aston Villa. He averaged 35 Premier League appearances a year for Stoke over nearly a decade as a "holding midfielder" and only scored 5 goals so he literally probably just did the job that he was told to do.

The only people Whelan "convinced" he could do the role better than him are the managers at Stoke City , Aston Villa and Ireland who looked at him and thought he must be doing something right in it!! Managers pick teams not fans and i hope that any of our current crop of new young midfielders coming thru under Stephen Kenny go on next year to either get promotion with their clubs or get moves to premier league clubs and then go on to make 35 plus PL appearances a season over the next 9 years.

We would be in great shape if we could get 8-10 of our best 15 players playing at that level on a regular basis.

That’s a very good and logical post Irelandshirts. 
So get off this thread and take that fact based knowledge somewhere else.

We have experts on here that know better than premier league and International managers. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 159>
  Share Topic