You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 150151152153154 159>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I wouldn't call Molumby lightweight, he's very combative.

+1 on that.

Every game I've seen him play he really gets into a tackle. Closes players down very quickly too 
Sponsored Links

killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:04pm
I would say Mcgoldrick would be a natural number 10...seems to have a lot of ability but lacks a poachers instinct and if we were playing tomorrow he would surely start
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

I would say Mcgoldrick would be a natural number 10...seems to have a lot of ability but lacks a poachers instinct and if we were playing tomorrow he would surely start

Agreed fully, 

His hold up and link up play are exceptional, now I suppose if we were a side like Spain or Man City who dominate possession and have countless teams defending in a low block against them with 9/10 men behind the ball all the time the likes of McGoldrick for me wouldn't have that in his locker to unlock sides time and time again with these defence splitting passes on a consistent basis. 

But I mean if Obafemi, Idah, Parrott etc properly emerge as starters for whatever clubs they find themselves at in the near future then instead of seeing an effective player like McGoldrick drop out if we're only playing 1 up top I would most definitely like to see him play in the 10.

Now if Jack Byrne can get himself a good side team in a very competitive league he would be ideal, but in the short term McGoldrick would be an excellent option.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:28pm
Whatever happened to say a team is defending deep or playing a high line.  What’s all this low block nonsense.  I hear Jose sh*teing on about it too. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Whatever happened to say a team is defending deep or playing a high line.  What’s all this low block nonsense.  I hear Jose sh*teing on about it too. 

Sorry big guy Heart
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 8:24am
I find it interesting that people would see Glenn Whelans performances in the last few ireland games comparable to that of world class players.

Realistically it simply isnt true. Switzerland and Denmark where pretty comfortable in the games the played against us in terms of possession, chances created etc but somehow Glenn had the games of his life.

Superlatives such as outstanding, immense thrown about to a player in which the team itself struggled to hold the ball.

Of all the players in the team I think Whelan was the stand out player for ireland but not the best performer on the pitch, he played ok and put in a very good shift. 

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

He's probably played his best football for Ireland in the last 12 months, certainly the home games

I agree he probably played his best for his standards... but when you compare performances to a bench mark it paints a different story.

For example Roy Keanes performance vs Juventus in the champions league semi final was a 9-10.

Richard Dunne vs Russia was a 9-10

Paul McGrath vs Italy was 9-10

Glenn Whelan in the last few games would have been a 3 or 3.5 at best. All hard work but limited quality.

I'm not trying to disrespect Glenn but he was never a 7-10 player and in reality it'll be less difficult to find a successor for him than it has been for the others.

That's just you, Lefty - and myriad others here who only see what they want to see regarding Glenn Whelan. Media ratings for his performances in the vital last two games were:

In the Switzerland defeat:  8 (Mirror), 7 (Indo), 7 (Sun), 7 (Sports J), 6 (Irish Times).
In the final Denmark game: 7.5 (Indo), 7 (RTE), 7 (Mirror), 7 (Sports J), 6 (Sun). 

Your 3 - 3.5? Sorry, but that is disrespectful. 

PS: Good post, Footballman.

Cmon brick. The sun , mirror! Look at the stat that we couldn’t muster 50% possession against any team in the last 10 odd years. Not all whelan fault. But he was playing in the most influential position on the pitch for most of them.

It's a fair cross-section, King_Kenny.  But in the interests of flattening the curve I've adjusted the list to include your ratings.

In the Switzerland defeat:  8 (Mirror), 7 (Indo), 7 (Sun), 7 (Sports J), 6 (Irish Times), 3 (Village Idiot).
In the final Denmark game: 7.5 (Indo), 7 (RTE), 7 (Mirror), 7 (Sports J), 6 (Sun), 3.5 (Village Idiot).

Thanks brick. Even the village idiot has their own opinion. You haven’t reached that level yet!

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 12:13pm
A lot of differing opinions here which is why we visit a forum. We all feel passionate about irish football but maybe we keep the personal jibes to one side.

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 12:18pm
I hope Kenny calls up Glenn for his first squad Thumbs Up
It would damage this forums' reputation
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I hope Kenny calls up Glenn for his first squad Thumbs Up

Haha - the anarchist in me kinda wants it too, this forum would need to scale up its ec2 instances due to the reaction.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:17pm
Stick a fork in him 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:23pm
Am i unpatriotic because i think a lad going on 37 next birthday is finished at int'l level.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:39pm
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:43pm
I don't see Kenny picking Whelan. He'd be lucky to make the squad. 

Just out of curiosity I wonder would Kenny even bother with Arter or wait until Arter makes himself available?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Am i unpatriotic because i think a lad going on 37 next birthday is finished at int'l level.

Yes. The man has at least another 18 months in him of passing the ball sideways and backwards in games for us that average less than a goal a game.

He's been a great servant but if he makes Kenny's squad I'm going to look for trails for the Dublin U20 hurlers next year.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Just out of curiosity I wonder would Kenny even bother with Arter or wait until Arter makes himself available?

He'd have to make himself unavailable first.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:47pm
Whelan is still the best option Ireland have in that holding role, but only by way of us not being allowed to play anyone else in that position, as the risk is too great.

He does a job... 

I would hope that Kenny would choose -

Molumby 
McCarthy
Cullen
Arter 

All ahead of him.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:09pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I don't see Whelan making the squad either. He should retire. But he's still  irresistible clickbait for the forking sledgers. Can't help themselves. Interesting point about Arter. He has probably never heard of Stephen Kenny and is unlikely to ever meet him.
Of course he hasn't. Stephen Kenny is used to fellas playing at a higher level than Fleetwood Town.

Edited by Jackal - 22 May 2020 at 2:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 150151152153154 159>
  Share Topic