You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 159>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 8:48am
I've never seen a player more scrutinised as much, this for someone who has 277 premier league appearances, has never not turned up for his country when asked, never created noise or bullSh1t for club or country and gives 100% in every game.

If everyone who wore a green shirt for the last 12 years put in the same effort, we would have won allot more games. I appreciate hes not Inesta or Perlo, but not many are.

Have a look in the mirror, Play station players, who havent played the game beyond 5 aside astro.

Please stop this bashing of a loyal and honest servant to the green jersey

Getting old and intolerant
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

I've never seen a player more scrutinised as much, this for someone who has 277 premier league appearances, has never not turned up for his country when asked, never created noise or bullSh1t for club or country and gives 100% in every game.

If everyone who wore a green shirt for the last 12 years put in the same effort, we would have won allot more games. I appreciate hes not Inesta or Perlo, but not many are.

Have a look in the mirror, Play station players, who havent played the game beyond 5 aside astro.

Again another idiotic lazy response.

What do you base these assumptions on?
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:37am

Agree on this
Players in his position tend to always be scrutinised more than many other positions on the pitch

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:53am
They actually don't though really its Strikers by a country mile.

People tend to judge strikers on their goals to games ratios only, which leads to them being by far and away the most scrutinised.

Often not telling the full story of how good said striker is/was when you factor in their link up play or how many times they've made runs across the box to create space etc.

Giroud is a prime example, probably one of the best centre forwards in international football (many cant understand why he starts for France based on his club career) and without him leading the line France are nowhere near as effective.

Glenn is fortunate we dont play expansive attacking football or he'd be badly exposed like a fair number of our current players, playing in an ultra defensive set up surprise surprise suits his game and again limits the chance of being exposed.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

People tend to judge strikers on their goals to games ratios only, which leads to them being by far and away the most scrutinised.

Often not telling the full story of how good said striker is/was when you factor in their link up play or how many times they've made runs across the box to create space etc.

Giroud is a prime example, probably one of the best centre forwards in international football (many cant understand why he starts for France based on his club career) and without him leading the line France are nowhere near as effective.

Glenn is fortunate we dont play expansive attacking football or he'd be badly exposed like a fair number of our current players, playing in an ultra defensive set up surprise surprise suits his game and again limits the chance of being exposed.

It’s a good job Mick doesn’t pick strikers on a goal to game ratio for Ireland  otherwise Glen would have been up front ahead of most of them until recently 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:08pm

LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

It’s a good job Mick doesn’t pick strikers on a goal to game ratio for Ireland  otherwise Glen would have been up front ahead of most of them until recently 

With all due respect why would you compare a player with 90 odd caps to a player/players with no more than a handful between?

Also, it's a more damning verdict on Micks reign that we only scored 7 goals in 8 matches which evidently shows up his flaws and failings especially in an attacking sense as a manager.

What striker in world football would thrive in our set up, anti football with the mindset of setting up not to lose. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL

LOL

If there was a World Cup based on lads turning up for international duty where we they were judged solely on effort and commitment we would be easily top 5 in the World.

You give a proper and fair analysis on players backed up with well thought out points, yet if you dare say boo about Glenn you're described as an armchair fan.

I never knew being half pissed at an Ireland game is now the pinnacle of player analysis!

Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:39pm

I dont believe it is a Idiotic or Lazy
whats lazy is 128 pages of comments following suit of lazy Journalist like Eammon Dunphy in singling out one player, without knowing what direction has been given to a player and their responsibilities on the pitch. All this without questioning why successive Ireland and team managers choose to continue to play Glenn over twelve years as a senior player.

On my Comment re. play station/astro players, bashing a good pro on this forum, Im sure there is not to many on here has played at a relatively high level or gone beyond kick start 2 on the coaching ladder, if that. Presuming you have GD, I apologise but again I was speaking to the masses not individuals

cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:57pm
probably played his last game at the aviva 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:59pm

whats lazy is 128 pages of comments following suit of lazy Journalist like Eammon Dunphy in singling out one player, without knowing what direction has been given to a player and their responsibilities on the pitch. All this without questioning why successive Ireland and team managers choose to continue to play Glenn over twelve years as a senior player.

On my Comment re. play station/astro players, bashing a good pro on this forum, Im sure there is not to many on here has played at a relatively high level or gone beyond kick start 2 on the coaching ladder, if that. Presuming you have GD, I apologise but again I was speaking to the masses not individuals

Dunphy has a made living out of going against the grain and being controversial, he is an absolutely novelty figure who was on the panel for entertainment and comic value and nothing else.

On Whelan himself, I understand that players are given specific roles in teams and can negate the players influence as a result at times for sure. 

My gripe with having Whelan in the team is that we aren't expansive in the slightest and have a mentality to go out and try not to lose (not try win) and he typifies this mindset! 

Until we can pull ourselves away from being so negative and not having the cajones to go at teams we will stay firmly in the dark ages of European football. 

But again, posters will slate me and others for "not watching the job he does" when in truth and I've explained this a million times, Whelan is playing as a holding midfielder in one of the most negative and defensive minded teams in European football. We bypass midfield constantly when we have the ball and when we don't have the ball we just sit back and defend deep. 

He has one of the easiest jobs on the pitch, compare that to McGoldrick or even one our wingers and people have the balls to pull up stats on how our strikers aren't scoring or wingers aren't creating?

Again just because a chap never managed Man United or played for Real Madrid doesn't mean he can't have an opinion on a professional footballer?

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:18pm
The 'position of authority' arguement is not one that can really be used in football forum.

Mark Hughes picked Whelan for Stoke and his football credentials are much better than yours, therefore Whelan is....

You could say that pep Guardiola, Alex Ferguson and klopp have better credentials than Hughes and where not interested in Whelan , therefore whelan...

Having an opinion on a spectator sport, even as an armchair supporter is just as valid as anyone else's. You may not agree with it but that's the point of setting up a forum.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:20pm
How positive can we be when we don’t have a midfielder who is any good though? That’s our handicap. I get your point, and there are ways around it, but no matter who else plays in midfield they hide from the ball. If Whelan gets the ball there is rarely a creative player to look for it and we don’t have one. The fact that some people see the solution as a lad playing alright in the LOI tells its story.

I have long defended Whelan on here, not because he is an amazing player, but because he gets constantly singled out when the bigger problem isn’t him. Playing without him we are often wide open. Cullen certainly looks a credible option and may improve our style and ball retention, but he can’t do on his own. Hourihane, Hendrick, Arter, Browne etc. are all incredibly limited and not very disciplined or hard working.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:25pm

Has it ever occurred to you that most of the people criticising Whelan may well have formed their opinion independently of Dunphy? I generally couldn't care less about Dunphy's footballing opinions, but even a broken clock is right twice a day, and Dunphy wasn't mistaken in believing Whelan is a poor midfielder. Irrespective of that, I'd suggest to you that most people who argue Whelan isn't very good have come to that conclusion from having watched him numerous times; that's certainly my situation. Dunphy's comments on him have not swayed my opinion.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

How positive can we be when we don’t have a midfielder who is any good though? That’s our handicap. I get your point, and there are ways around it, but no matter who else plays in midfield they hide from the ball. If Whelan gets the ball there is rarely a creative player to look for it and we don’t have one. The fact that some people see the solution as a lad playing alright in the LOI tells its story.

I have long defended Whelan on here, not because he is an amazing player, but because he gets constantly singled out when the bigger problem isn’t him. Playing without him we are often wide open. Cullen certainly looks a credible option and may improve our style and ball retention, but he can’t do on his own. Hourihane, Hendrick, Arter, Browne etc. are all incredibly limited and not very disciplined or hard working.

We're not winning games though PM, we scored 7 goals in 8 games Dead

It's no surprise we're more open in midfield when he doesn't play because we tend to take more risks, with risk comes reward. I said as much on a thread a few days, we will probably lose more games but we will also win more and score goals also.

Not suggesting you are, but it people are happy enough to see us defend for our lives and plod along playing for draws then fair enough but I'm not.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The 'position of authority' arguement is not one that can really be used in football forum.

Mark Hughes picked Whelan for Stoke and his football credentials are much better than yours, therefore Whelan is....

You could say that pep Guardiola, Alex Ferguson and klopp have better credentials than Hughes and where not interested in Whelan , therefore whelan...

Having an opinion on a spectator sport, even as an armchair supporter is just as valid as anyone else's. You may not agree with it but that's the point of setting up a forum.

I agree with that 100%,

I find it fairly odd that just because someone has a different opinion to someone else's (especially on this thread) the ones who don't rate Whelan too highly get called armchair fans ConfusedLOL

Edited by Green Devil - 22 Nov 2019 at 1:32pm

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 2:05pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

We're not winning games though PM, we scored 7 goals in 8 games Dead

It's no surprise we're more open in midfield when he doesn't play because we tend to take more risks, with risk comes reward. I said as much on a thread a few days, we will probably lose more games but we will also win more and score goals also.

Not suggesting you are, but it people are happy enough to see us defend for our lives and plod along playing for draws then fair enough but I'm not.
We’re not winning games because we are sh*t! Probably not as sh*t as our manager thinks, but still fairly awful! 
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 3:36pm

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I agree with that 100%,

I find it fairly odd that just because someone has a different opinion to someone else's (especially on this thread) the ones who don't rate Whelan too highly get called armchair fans ConfusedLOL

Okay everyone can have an opinion, I get it, but the Whelan banging drum is getting very old and IN MY OPINION, is unfair

Given how bad Hedrix has been this campaign, how is the bile still being directed at Whelan. If Whelan is limited and a defensive Mid in a defensive team, what is Hendrix bringing to the party

Edited by Huggybeer - 22 Nov 2019 at 3:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 159>
  Share Topic