You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 159>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

With James McCarthy moving to Palace, he's a shoe in for the sitting midfielder role in Irish midfield. 

Josh Cullen now playing championship level with Charlton. I think Glenn's international days are numbered. He may get call up for initial 150 man panel but realistically he'll struggle to make final squad especially if he's not getting substantial game tine.

Sadly I think you're mistaken there. As long as McCarthy is manager I'd expect Whelan to start most if not all qualifiers. Even if he signs for the Renford Rejects, it won't matter to the manager.

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

With James McCarthy moving to Palace, he's a shoe in for the sitting midfielder role in Irish midfield. 

Josh Cullen now playing championship level with Charlton. I think Glenn's international days are numbered. He may get call up for initial 150 man panel but realistically he'll struggle to make final squad especially if he's not getting substantial game tine.

Sadly I think you're mistaken there. As long as McCarthy is manager I'd expect Whelan to start most if not all qualifiers. Even if he signs for the Renford Rejects, it won't matter to the manager.

I disagree to be honest. Mick Said he left James McCarthy out of the squad because he wasn't playing at all at Everton. Starting for your club is very important to McCarthy as indicated by his team selections so far. A club less Glenn Whenlan won't be starting in my honest opinion. You have to remember that Whelan was playing regularly for promotion chasing Aston Villa during the last 4 Euro 2020 qualifiers. That's probably a huge reason he got the nod over Shaun Williams at Millwall and a gameless McCarthy at Everton. I would be surprised if Whelan starts against Switzerland even if he's playing with hearts. That's a huge drop from Aston Villa and I believe that will influence McCarthy's decision.  In fairness to Mick with regards to the dinosaur comments he was praising Alan judge ability when he took a step down in a lot of people's eyes after the Ipswich move. he's not afraid to give a player a chance if he thinks he can do a job. Judge set up the Duffy goal against Denmark. Mick deserves credit for that sub. I wouldn't be surprised to see Browne and Crowley given a chance against the Swiss from the bench at least. McCarthy has already heaped huge praise on Browne and I think he definitely would have played already if it wasn't for the injuries.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 9:00am

PM, no?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:25am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

PM, no?
I have given up! I have long accepted that my homeland is full of semi-literate ****s.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:46am

There’s no guarantee James Mc will be a starter at CP

It’s a bit of a guessing game on who starts against the Swiss as the defensive midfielder at the moment.

Re GW - with the window closed to incoming players and only unattached players available - I’ll guess he’ll be picked up by a championship club in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

fr larry duff View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fr larry duff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:11am
being linked with hearts
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by fr larry duff fr larry duff wrote:

being linked with hearts
Q.E.D.

Edited by pre Madonna - 09 Aug 2019 at 8:17am
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:05pm
Signed for Hearts
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:28am
Can’t start for us anymore surely, playing for that sh*te

And I’ve been a Whelan supporter in the past
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Ireland have capped players from Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibernian and Motherwell in the last twenty years. Why not Hearts ?
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:49am

Should be nowhere near the team.

Hearts LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:30am

I don't think you've ever said a good word about Whelan before (or any other Irish player come to think of it.)

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:46am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't think you've ever said a good word about Whelan before (or any other Irish player come to think of it.)

Well that's the biggest bullsh*t post you're going to read on here today anyway
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:51am
Literally the Vag has his period LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:55am
K
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Ireland have capped players from Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibernian and Motherwell in the last twenty years. Why not Hearts ?
Twenty years is a long time frame though. Even outside of following Celtic I really enjoy the Scottish game, but it is fairly obvious it has been dropping in quality, certainly in comparison with the EFL. 
Ireland seem to only pick standout performers from League One and I think it might be generous to say that is the level Hearts are at. 
In saying that, our complete lack of options means Whelan is still likely to feature.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

As PM has alluded to, Scottish football is in a terrible state at present. Certainly going by their results in Europe with teams from the league of Wales now beating them.

Added to that the fact that Whelan has been a free agent for the last two months, has only joined a club so wouldn't have done a pre season with them I wouldn't have imagined, has already been retired by the previous manager only to come back, is now 35, surely he isn't going to be up to speed to start a crucial qualifier in a couple of weeks time?
I think i'd rather see Williams, McCarthy or even Hourihane in that holding midfield role.

That's not to say Whelan won't start, he probably will you know. I was just giving an opinion on him.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:04am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Confused
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:25am
The usual suspects at it again. There will be 30 new posts today with three lads sl*gging each other.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:55am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Its a constant thing LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 159>
  Share Topic