You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lee Carsley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 2:45pm
Average midfielder gave his all for Ireland, always behind Keane, Kinsella and Holland; his handball against Turkey in qualifier will probably what he'll be most remembered for in a green shirt unfortunately.

Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 3:27pm
He was always going ro be behind Keane for the holding midfield role.

With Holland and Kinsella playing well for their clubs, I think he was a little behind them with regards to getting the ball forward.

Carsley was a good player though, and offered the team a good midfield option and read the game well. However we had more options back then, if he peaked in his playing career 5 years ago, he would have been capped far more times. Feel he was a better option than Artur and Whelan, couple that with Mccarthy being injured...

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 11:53am
He was unlucky with that handball and the stick he received after it most unwarranted. John O’Shea escaped similar criticism for a way more blatant concession of a peno at home to Israel in that horrible 2-2 draw at home.

I can’t criticise Carsley’s stance on WC2002 when he was away from a Down’s Syndrome son and his wife pregnant, it’s called perspective and priorities.  There are things way more important than football and I wish the chap well and he always gave his all when he did play. Not getting a reply for offering his services as a coach to the FAI is no surprise however. 🤬
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 7:46pm
Looks like Lee is going to be the new England 21s Head Coach.

Edited by Double Maxim - 07 Jun 2021 at 7:48pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:58pm
He’s building a good cv and reputation. Hopefully he’ll come back into our system at some point. I’m sure he’s be around if we’d offered him half what Robbie Keane is being paid to sit on his arse
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He’s building a good cv and reputation. Hopefully he’ll come back into our system at some point. I’m sure he’s be around if we’d offered him half what Robbie Keane is being paid to sit on his arse

He'd have to come into the conversation when the senior job comes up again 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He was held in very high regard for his Coaching (and character) at Brentford, such that they offered him  the position of Head Coach after he had stepped in as Caretaker.

However he turned it down, since he had a son with Downs Syndrome at home in Birmingham and he prioritised that over a f-t job in management, with all the demands on his time which that would have entailed.

I believe that his subsequent jobs were all p-t and/or Midlands based, but now that his son is 21 (22?), maybe he feels he can now meet the demands of his latest position?

Either way, he's an admirable human being:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic