You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cillian Sheridan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 42>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Dunno,
Its an average Euro league.
Would prefer him moving to something like the belgian/dutch league.

The Poles pick most of their squad from their league and they tend to do OK. Based on form and our lack of options up top, id have Sheridan in the squad now playing in Cyprus
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Dunno,
Its an average Euro league.
Would prefer him moving to something like the belgian/dutch league.

The Poles pick most of their squad from their league and they tend to do OK. Based on form and our lack of options up top, id have Sheridan in the squad now playing in Cyprus

Yep agree it's a disgrace he hasn't got a look in yet we have donkeys and Zimmerframe Keane at Euro 2016 Confused
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:32am
Matt Derbyshire is top goalscorer in Cyprus at the moment, that may be down to Sheridan, his strike partner, but it would certainly make me reticent about calling up Sheridan. He has scored 4 goals from play in the league.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:45am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Matt Derbyshire is top goalscorer in Cyprus at the moment, that may be down to Sheridan, his strike partner, but it would certainly make me reticent about calling up Sheridan. He has scored 4 goals from play in the league.

3 times as many as Long this season. I know who I's start. He's proven himself already in the likes of Bulgaria so no issue in crunch games. Plus he has a habit of banging them. I wouldn't trust Long to finish an orgasm. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

3 times as many as Long this season. I know who I's start. He's proven himself already in the likes of Bulgaria so no issue in crunch games. Plus he has a habit of banging them. I wouldn't trust Long to finish an orgasm. 
Did he prove himself in Bulgaria? I never saw him play there but his goal scoring record was poor. It is also a bit disingenuous to compare the EPL, for all its faults, with a league where Matt Derbyshire is the top scorer. As for banging them in; I know penalty kicks have to be scored but without them Sheridan would have 4 in 17. It might be worth sending MON or Roy for a winter break and maybe have a look at him against Iceland, even then I would be unsure. To suggest starting him in any game is lunacy.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:47am
You would start Cillian Sheridan over Shane Long? LOL
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 8:08am
Sheridan has a record of of a goal every other game since moving to Omonia, now whether that makes him good enough to start for us is one thing, but I think it's bordering on indisputable that it should at least have won him a place in one of our extended squads over the past 18 months.
We're decent enough..
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 10:14am
Exactly. Always an arbitrary thing to say "I dont rate this player because he's playing in X league or Y league". We select massive extended squads and he deserves a chance to at least show what he can do in training.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:29pm
I keep thinknig this thread is a wind up, this must be a different Cillian Sheridan to the one i'm thinking of.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:33pm
Clearly starting him ahead of Long in a competitive game is farcical, but I don't think it's too much of a wind up to suggest he should be given a chance in one of the extended squads - particularly given the absolute dearth of striking talent we have available at the moment. And even more so if he is able to perform to a decent level in the Polish league.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Exactly. Always an arbitrary thing to say "I dont rate this player because he's playing in X league or Y league". We select massive extended squads and he deserves a chance to at least show what he can do in training.

I kind of see where you are coming from but you do have to compare achievements in different leagues. If he's scoring at that level in Cyprus, would he be scoring many more in Ireland, or League One? And if we had someone scoring at that level in League One would they get a call up? Simon Cox has been scoring plenty in League One this season but I don't see any great clamour for him to be called up.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 2:55pm
He fits the Murphy/Doyle role of being the big target man to hit. He's 6 foot 5 or 6 foot 6. I can't really comment on how good he is as I haven't seen him play in years but with our lack of strikers at the moment, surely he should be looked at.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I keep thinknig this thread is a wind up, this must be a different Cillian Sheridan to the one i'm thinking of.
i know what you mean, but considering our dearth of options we probably should have a look at him again. I would be surprised if he was good enough though. I would suggest that O'Brien at Millwall would be, or at least will be, a better option.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:14pm
All Long has going for him is that one goal against Germany, I'd start Sheridan over him any day based on the latter's vast European experience, the last couple of seasons he was the only Irishman to play group stage Champions League football. Long is yesterday's man.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:17pm

All Long has going for him is that one goal against Germany, I'd start Sheridan over him any day based on the latter's vast European experience, the last couple of seasons he was the only Irishman to play group stage Champions League football. Long is yesterday's man.

Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:23pm
Long's legs have gone, its a fact. Sheridan was the most successful Irishman in European football this decade until Dundalk. Won shed loads of medals to boot. No contest if you need a late goal
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:47pm

Long's legs have gone, its a fact. Sheridan was the most successful Irishman in European football this decade until Dundalk. Won shed loads of medals to boot. No contest if you need a late goal
You have seen him play?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:54pm
Hes a cultured player, pony tail and drinks wine ffs .There's a reason he doesn't play in England. Hes too cultured. If he was Italian he'd be playing for Juve. I reckon the long hair sets him back in the Irish setuo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 42>
  Share Topic