Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lansdowne memories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lansdowne memories
    Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:16am
In light of us entering a new era..post up some memories from the old ground

Apart from McAteer, it has to be Brady's testimonial against Finland and my first Ireland matchClap
Sponsored Links

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:20am
My first game, Denmark in 2001. God I was excited!! Great memories.

Also, a mention has to be given to Kilbane's goal v the Czechs... Great celebrations
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Weser777 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weser777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:21am
Mark Kennedy's sparkler against Yugoslavia in the Euro 2000 qualifiers...was the winner when we won 2-1...

wotta strike out of nowhere!
"I'm not the best manager in the world, but I'm definitely in the top one!" - Brian Clough
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:28am
My first ever game (Albania) was probably one of the most exciting days of my life. I was 12 and the whole day from getting up early to get a bus from Monaghan, to racing back to Parnell Square after the final whistle to get the bus home. The sight of the stadium as I approached it. the East Stand was huge to a 12 year old. The climb up the stairs to block US in the Upper East, it seemed like an eternity. Would have loved to have got to stand on the South terrace for a competitive game, but never got the chance.  Games that stand out are against the Pub (3-0) Portugal, Holland, Yugoslavia to name a few. Some great times in the old place and some horrible moments as well. Belgium and Turkey in play offs, Israel (dudu) Spain (3-1).
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:34am
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

My first ever game (Albania) was probably one of the most exciting days of my life. I was 12 and the whole day from getting up early to get a bus from Monaghan, to racing back to Parnell Square after the final whistle to get the bus home. The sight of the stadium as I approached it. the East Stand was huge to a 12 year old. The climb up the stairs to block US in the Upper East, it seemed like an eternity. Would have loved to have got to stand on the South terrace for a competitive game, but never got the chance.  Games that stand out are against the Pub (3-0) Portugal, Holland, Yugoslavia to name a few. Some great times in the old place and some horrible moments as well. Belgium and Turkey in play offs, Israel (dudu) Spain (3-1).

Very same thing, myself and my da came up on the train for the game. And when we got the dart we passed LR and Jaysus, it looked huge. Remember when you coul see right in from the train? Was so excited. What a day Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:54am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

In light of us entering a new era..post up some memories from the old ground

Apart from McAteer, it has to be Brady's testimonial against Finland and my first Ireland matchClap

bro played in a cup final against st kevins before that match. great place for a cup final as a schoolboyClap

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 8:58am
First game vs Bolivia in 94. Was 9 at the time. After that I was hooked. Only missed 3 games at Landsdowne since due to work/holidays (switzerland when we lost 2-1, Cyprus when we won 3-0 and Australlia when we won 1-0 in a friendly).
Beating the Dutch, Croatia, Portugal in 95 and Yugoslavia were obviously the highlights. Albania too when we got a last minute winner and got out of jail after not giving them the ball back after they had been time wasting was also such a relief and good feeling

Edited by t_rAndy - 20 Jul 2010 at 8:59am
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:10am
Quinn's equaliser against Denmark and the 1-0 win over Portugal. The Portugal game was a cracker if memory serves.
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Weser777 Weser777 wrote:

Mark Kennedy's sparkler against Yugoslavia in the Euro 2000 qualifiers...was the winner when we won 2-1...

wotta strike out of nowhere!

This would be my one. Dancing like a loon afterwards. Tongue
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:14am
Ireland 3, France 2, WCQ in 1981 the fateful day Dave Langan busted his knee, but what a match.  Lansdowne heaving, early og by France's Mahut, Bruno Bellone equalised, the Stapleton and Robinson put us 3-1 up at half time in an incredible first half.  2nd half France came at us, Platini scored near the end to make it 3-2 and Seamus McDonagh made a world class save in injury time from (I think) Platini and we held on.   Wonderful wonderful game, dramatic, heartbreaking (for Langan even though he played on) and totally memorable.  We just missed out on qualifying, France went on to the semis in 82 and shoulda made the Final.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tash Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:25am
My 1st game in Lansdowne 1975 against Switzerland 2-1 win, was on the East Terrace was packed as well, was used to the terrace from Dalymount being open apart from the shed end but hadn’t been in that much at that stage so was a new experience being on terrace under the old East Stand and the atmosphere that created, we had a great start for 1976 Euros as well and winning against Switzerland put us in a great position to qualify but sadly missed out narrowly to the USSR.

Was absolutely mad on the terrace in Lansdowne those days god knows how many people were actually in the ground at times, think the highest official attendance was about 55,000 for the 3-2 win over France World Cup qualifier 81 FW was just talking about but was probably a lot more than that in truth, the South Terrace had the most packed crowd at football I remember anywhere that day, great atmosphere though, only other experience I ever had like it was at the Dublin Galway all Ireland final in 83 on the hill, maybe as many as 5000+ above the official attendance that day, could have easily been that many more on the South Terrace that day as well.

Philip Greene RTE Radio Legend
10 Seconds Gone Here In Limerick And No Score.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:34am
Play Off against Turkey when Robbie scored in 99... really thought we were going to euro 2000 Cry
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:17am
Shels V Dundalk in the FAI Cup final 93. It was my 1st ever match and it led to years of joy and then depression supporting Shelbourne

Also getting fecked out in a friendly match because my mates brother kept on pushing me into people

Seeing the legendary Ronaldo, Hakan Suker and Lazio

Shels V Deportivo

Edited by Gouldinho09 - 20 Jul 2010 at 10:19am

FiremanDan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:21am
My immediate reaction to this was Holland in 2001. But having thought a bit more about it I reckon this game was every bit as atmospheric.
Ireland v Spain shortly after Hillsborough in 1989. Aldo couldn't bring himself to play but Houghton and Whelan did. I was on the East Terrace, the one and only time I was ever there. I came straight from school and got there early, the stiles weren't even open. There was the mother and father of all showers then and I was drenched and freezing entering the ground. Soon after a warm April sun dried me off as I stood on the terrace which filled up quickly. Given the events of the previous week the ground was full earlier than I've ever seen at any Ireland game. And this coupled with a spine tingling minutes silence lead to an unbelievable atmosphere. I stumbled across this link which sums it up quite well. Great result.

I found the away game on you tube - not a good day that one - but couldn't find the home game.

Edited by FiremanDan - 20 Jul 2010 at 10:31am
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:24am
Yeah some class players have seen over the years apart from our own. Glad zidane came out of retirement that time so I could actually see him play in the flesh.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:30am
Yeah Dan, that game v Spain was some atmosphere that day, although it was only an og from Michel that decided it our way, we were terrific on the day, bullied their star names like Butragueno (McCarthy totally broke his spirit, when he was taken off he just sloped off shaking his head in frustration), Martin Vazquez and Michel, never game the fookers any time or space all game.  Crowd was immense that day too.

Another wonderful win was 1980  in a WCQ against Holland 2-1 after going behind.  Gerry Daly equalised and Lawro's diving header sent us bananas on the South Terrace.

And how could we forget October 1989, beating the Nordies 3-0 en route to Italia 90, great performance especially 2nd half with goals by Whelan, Cascarion and Houghton.  A certain Michael O'Neill had a glorious chance to put the Nordies ahead in the 1st half.  George Dunlop's disrespect to Amhrán na bhFiann was suitably answered by a rampant Irish that day. Brilliant day and night.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 11:02am
this might bring back a few memories... ClapClapClap

from about 2:35 onwards..

http://ybig.ie/movie-detail.asp?id=5&nid=45

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 11:02am
Originally posted by FiremanDan FiremanDan wrote:

My immediate reaction to this was Holland in 2001. But having thought a bit more about it I reckon this game was every bit as atmospheric.
Ireland v Spain shortly after Hillsborough in 1989. Aldo couldn't bring himself to play but Houghton and Whelan did. I was on the East Terrace, the one and only time I was ever there. I came straight from school and got there early, the stiles weren't even open. There was the mother and father of all showers then and I was drenched and freezing entering the ground. Soon after a warm April sun dried me off as I stood on the terrace which filled up quickly. Given the events of the previous week the ground was full earlier than I've ever seen at any Ireland game. And this coupled with a spine tingling minutes silence lead to an unbelievable atmosphere. I stumbled across this link which sums it up quite well. Great result.

I found the away game on you tube - not a good day that one - but couldn't find the home game.

Amazing atmosphere there that day.  Still brings hairs on the back of my neck when I think aboutit.    I have the whole game on video too. not a pretty spectacle when watched in the cold light of day but an amazing atmosphere.
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic