You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Documentaries on the web

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:37pm
May have been put up here already

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

watched a fascinating doc on BBC4 recently, called Collective - Unravelling a Scandal. About widespread corruption at the heart of Romanian health system. Following a fire at a music venue which killed 27 people, a further 37 victims of the fire died in hospital, not as a result of the fire but from getting infections picked up in the hospital. It turned out that the company who supplied the disinfectants to the hospital (and other hospitals) had  diluted the disinfectants by 10 times more than they should have which was complicit in the deaths of patients. That's only the start of it, the level of corruption was astounding. It was actually a sports paper that broke the story....

How are you watching this? the iplayer doesn't work for me in Ireland.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 12:51pm

watched a fascinating doc on BBC4 recently, called Collective - Unravelling a Scandal. About widespread corruption at the heart of Romanian health system. Following a fire at a music venue which killed 27 people, a further 37 victims of the fire died in hospital, not as a result of the fire but from getting infections picked up in the hospital. It turned out that the company who supplied the disinfectants to the hospital (and other hospitals) had  diluted the disinfectants by 10 times more than they should have which was complicit in the deaths of patients. That's only the start of it, the level of corruption was astounding. It was actually a sports paper that broke the story....
Thanks for the spoiler heads up. Hardly worth watching now 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Randomly watched that last weekend, nice documentary. Weird that it didn't show the first two games of the campaign against Albania and Latvia other then just showing the results via Newspaper articles.

Another thing which I've always wondered how were we allowed to be in the same group as the North given the troubles? When you look at qualifying now a lot of countries are kept apart.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Randomly watched that last weekend, nice documentary. Weird that it didn't show the first two games of the campaign against Albania and Latvia other then just showing the results via Newspaper articles.

Another thing which I've always wondered how were we allowed to be in the same group as the North given the troubles? When you look at qualifying now a lot of countries are kept apart.

I would say I have watched this documentary over 1000 times. Used to have it on constantly during the 90s.   That and Que Sera Sera are great documentaries.  

Who would have thought that the Saw Doctors song  to win just once would become Prose rather than poetry. 

That team had so many leaders and potential captains.  Moran, McGrath, Keane, Townsend, Whelan, Staunton.  Real
Leaders.  

Saying that we were lucky in that our only win against any of the top 3/4 teams was at home to NI.  

That “consolidation” goal Sheridan got at home to Spain proved vital. Wouldn’t be the last time in that whole
Campaign that a consolation goal would prove vital. 

Edited by Baldrick - 06 Apr 2021 at 1:58pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I think there was talk at one stage might have been in the aftermath of Shankill and Greysteel of the match in November 93 being moved to Munich or somewhere like Anfield or Old Trafford on security grounds.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 2:30pm
that group also had a triple header in away to Albania Latvia and Lithuania at the end of May and start and middle of June.  

Anyone on here do all 3?  
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

that group also had a triple header in away to Albania Latvia and Lithuania at the end of May and start and middle of June.  

Anyone on here do all 3?  

Well before my time of going to games but do known some lads that did Latvia and Lithuania

Edited by Denis Irwin - 06 Apr 2021 at 2:32pm

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 2:39pm

Anyone on here do all 3?  

Well before my time of going to games but do known some lads that did Latvia and Lithuania
Would have been an ideal double header, 300km between the capitals
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Anyone on here do all 3?  

Would have been an ideal double header, 300km between the capitals

McGrath got a goal against Latvia after he had gone awol for the game against Albania.  That must have been some fear he had after the Albania game and his week in Israel. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 5:25pm
The Albania game wasn't broadcast at all on irish TV as there was a dispute over the pricing of the rights. Similar to Turkey playoff game.

Seem to recall family members watching the Albania game in the Submarine via some unofficial satellite source. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 5:34pm
yeah it’s in the doc a load of people watching the game in the submarine.  You may spot your relations Tom.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 5:36pm
Have no memories of watching any of the Euro 92 qualifiers at all. Have a vague recollection of the shootout against Romania. Next Ireland memory after that is the Latvia game

Edited by Denis Irwin - 06 Apr 2021 at 5:37pm

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 5:40pm
Remember listening to the Albania match on the radio. Same craic with Turkey in 1999.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jack City View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 8:07pm
I went to Latvia and Lithuania in 93,10 day package with travel agent.Flew to Moscow from Dublin,1 night in Moscow and then it was train's to Latvia and Lithuania with 3 nights in St Petersburg between the 2 matches.Good trip,won the 2 matches.St Petersburg was a dodgy spot, hotel room got robbed.They took everything, they only left us our wash gear.Luckey for us we had our passports and money on us.Big smile
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Thanks for the spoiler heads up. Hardly worth watching now 
save you the bother of watching it👍
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:16pm
LOL

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

The Albania game wasn't broadcast at all on irish TV as there was a dispute over the pricing of the rights. Similar to Turkey playoff game.

Seem to recall family members watching the Albania game in the Submarine via some unofficial satellite source. 

That game was shown on a giant telly in The Point. They charged however much it was and a few thousand paid in to see it. It was great craic made all the better by a 2-1 win
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
  Share Topic