You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Documentaries on the web

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 12:34am
This is a very good documentary.

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:51pm
A very good documentary and an incredibly strange incident.

Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:34pm
Harlan County, USA - Documentary made during a coal miners strike in East Kentucky in 1973/74, includes company gun thugs, a crooked union leader and a glimpse of life in the Appalachians.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Harlan County, USA - Documentary made during a coal miners strike in East Kentucky in 1973/74, includes company gun thugs, a crooked union leader and a glimpse of life in the Appalachians.

That sounds like the plot to a Steven Seagal movie.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:14am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

You obviously like Vice on Facebook also.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:32am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

That was brilliant. I remember the incident well. Bizarre!
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

That sounds like the plot to a Steven Seagal movie.

The documentary reminded me of the film Matewan (1987) with Chris Cooper.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 2:11pm
“America’s First Football Hooligan”.

It’s on Vice’s YouTube Channel.

It’s like performance art.

You can all thank me later.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:25pm
@superdave. Just watching Portillo’s Canadian rail trip programme on BBC 2. Would you prefer Portillo or Palin for the railway docs?
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

@superdave. Just watching Portillo’s Canadian rail trip programme on BBC 2. Would you prefer Portillo or Palin for the railway docs?
I think I like Portillo's shows in spite of him rather than because of him. He gets some great scenery and background to the area, but a lot of his interviews are very cheesy.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It's not that excrement of a film Green Street is it? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I think I like Portillo's shows in spite of him rather than because of him. He gets some great scenery and background to the area, but a lot of his interviews are very cheesy.
He is an unbelievable ****, but I enjoy Portillo on them. He makes them.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 4:10pm

Love their documentaries Clap

Will give this a watch Thumbs Up
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 5:12pm
Seen a mad doc last night about a town called UNCERTAIN in Texas.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 7:47pm

That has very hard viewing, it's obvious Derek is suffering badly mentally and should never have been in the position to take part in that documentary.

All in all it was absolutely sh*te and 25 minutes of my life I will never get back. 

Edited by Green Devil - 22 Mar 2020 at 7:47pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:22am
Vice do a very good wrestling documentary series about true life controversy called 'dark side of the ring' 

That hooligan guy is not well mentally I reckon and must of been watching too many hooligan films 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

He is an unbelievable ****, but I enjoy Portillo on them. He makes them.

I agree. It wouldn't be the same with Palin over him. In fairness, they're different concepts. Palin's are more about the actual travel whereas Portillos are much more about the arcana of small-town places and what made them a hundred years ago and what still makes them. The show is more about comparisons between 100 years ago and now than it is about the actual experience of travel. Palin's shows tend to be somewhat different but no less enjoyable for it. Portillo's shows wouldn't work as well with Palin, and Palin's wouldn't work as well with Portillo.

There's a couple from London who have done a whole heap of railway youtube videos, including one where they visit all the stations in GB then last year all the stations in Ireland. They have decent enough production values too even if they are themselves a bit nerdy. In fairness though, that's to be expected from a couple making youtube videos on trains. They've done the longest possible journey on the UK rail network on the summer solstice (Penzance to Aberdeen) and the shortest on the winter solstice (some weird tram job thing in the Midlands somewhere). Their videos are generally worth watching. They've a couple of great videos from Corrour (that bleak Highlands part of Trainspotting). The youtube channel is called All The Stations. I've watched a decent number of them and they're entertaining, in particular when they go to places like the West Highland Line and Cornwall. They have the same nose for the lesser-spotted things in our midst, like the mini-series they do on the least-used stations on each line or in each county in England. They don't have the same budget as Palin or Portillo (obviously enough) but the series is none the worse for it.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:53pm
I remember Palin doing a programme where he was doing the train journey across the top of Africa. He was going from Egypt to Morocco I think. Some interesting bits on that, border crossings and the like.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>
  Share Topic