You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cork City Foras Co-Op Football Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 80>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:10am
Caulfield officially gone. 
Am obviously not a Cork fan but from the outside this seems harsh - Results haven't been good this season but given the budget cuts and players not replaced then could any more have been expected?
Sponsored Links

adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Am obviously not a Cork fan but from the outside this seems harsh - Results haven't been good this season but given the budget cuts and players not replaced then could any more have been expected?

It hasn't just been this season. Things have been on a slow decline since Maguire left and an adequate replacement was not found. We all know that Caulfield's football was never easy on the eye, but since Maguire left, and particularly since Europe last season, some of the stuff has been appalling to watch. This has led to a serious drop off in attendances, because you simply can't expect fans to pay in and watch that, especially when the results aren't justifying the football. Regarding budget cuts and players being replaced, yes, the budget was reduced from last season, but it's still a decent budget, one where the club shouldn't be in a relegation battle. Caulfield also went with quantity over quality when recruiting players over the last two seasons, essentially wasting the budget. Caulfield's comments about the board and the budget this season hasn't reflected well on him either, as the current board is a new one who had nothing to do with the budget for this season. The biggest issue, however, seems to be him losing the dressing room. The players don't seem to be motivated on the pitch and aren't putting in the required effort (which they should be heavily criticised on), and Caulfield's apparent refusal to make major changes to the tactics hasn't helped his case.

With all that being said though, in time, I doubt this season will define Caulfield's legacy at City. It's a black mark for sure, but he's the most successful manager in the club's history along with being the joint all time top scorer, so he has a huge amount of respect among City fans, which is why it's so hard that it's ended the way it has. A league title, two FAI cups and three President's Cups and possibly the highest win percentage out of any City manager will take some beating. People are angry and upset over the situation the club is in, but in time, people will remember Caulfield as the manager who brought success to Turners Cross. 
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:59am
It’s a shame it has ended like this, he really is a lovely fella who adores City and football in general (Arsenal too, but we will ignore that!). He would probably have been better stepping aside earlier but he is as stubborn as a mule.

Anyone one know who the realistic replacements are? I think that’s why he wasn’t sacked sooner, but the options still seem thin on the ground.
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:41am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It’s a shame it has ended like this, he really is a lovely fella who adores City and football in general (Arsenal too, but we will ignore that!). He would probably have been better stepping aside earlier but he is as stubborn as a mule.

Anyone one know who the realistic replacements are? I think that’s why he wasn’t sacked sooner, but the options still seem thin on the ground.

I doubt we'll see a permanent manager appointed until the end of the season. In the meantime, Colin Healy has been strongly linked with the position of interim manager.

As a side note, it's a little bit funny to see people who support other teams who in the past had no time for Caulfield and thought he was a spoofer of the highest degree now change their time and say it's a disgrace that he's gone and that we should be ashamed of ourselves (not a go at Borussia, btw).
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:19pm

6 wins in 22 since Europe last year, two of those against teams who were already relegated. Budget might be cut but it's still 3rd or 4th highest as it has pretty much always been during his reign. He absolutely over-achieved for years and City manager and we will always be grateful but by holding onto him now you're losing money on attendances and a chance to make another 200k as the seeded team in Europe. Watching the Harps game on Monday was about as grim as it got with City failing to pass the ball effectively against the worst team in the league by a long shot. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:24pm

It was similar boat to O'Neill, football got awful to watch which we were okay with while we were winning. Once the results turned there was nothing left to save him.

He'll be remembered as a legend. Most successful player and manager in the club's history. Bit of a Wenger scenario in that he should have gone a year earlier and his legacy would have been safer.

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Healy will probably get it for the rest of the season, if he does well it may be made permanent.
Neal Fenn is the most likely from outside.
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:27pm
Statement from Caulfield:

It’s with great sadness that my time at a truly great club, that I’ve had the privilege to serve for over 20 years of my life, has come to an end. 

I have loved every goal, every game, every win and every trophy as a player and as a manager at Cork City FC. 

I have seen the club grow over the years and it was a pleasure to work with so many great players, coaches and people at the club. 

I am so grateful to my family; my staff, in particular John Cotter, Liam Kearney, Lisa Fallon, Mick Punch and Phil Harrington. I thank Pat Lyons and the previous board for their support and would like to wish Declan Carey and the new board every success moving forward. 

To the supporters, there’s not a lot to say except thank you. Thank you for all the memories and all the great moments that we have shared. Your fantastic support has always meant so much to me. 

There’s something truly special about Cork City FC and I thank you for letting me be part of it for so long, both as a player and manager.

rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:35pm
classy statement. For the best though.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 2:03pm

Budget cuts me hole!!!

What was his budget cut to? It was cut because of no champions league money, so basically back to what it was before last season when they were able to be competitive and win the league.

You can be sure his budget was much bigger than UCD, Sligo and Finn harps who he failed to beat recently!

As for players not replaced, well he was the one that didn't replace them!! lokks like he signed quantity over quality this season.

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:11pm
long live maxi junior 
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:48pm
Neal Fenn doesn’t have the badges for the premier division.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:01pm
Given his standing in the club's history, it's a shame to end that way but that's management for you. With the players he has, and has had, the style of play was hard to watch at times. Had no choice but to go in the end but will be remembered fondly by the majority of fans in years to come I'd imagine.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Given his standing in the club's history, it's a shame to end that way but that's management for you. With the players he has, and has had, the style of play was hard to watch at times. Had no choice but to go in the end but will be remembered fondly by the majority of fans in years to come I'd imagine.

Absolutely. The vast majority of City fans had no joy in seeing Caulfield go, but understood it had to happen. I'm certain that whenever Caulfield returns to the Cross in the future, he'll be given a great reception. 

In the meantime, John Cotter has been appointed as the interim manager. Alan Bennett and Colin Healy will be assisting him. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:43pm
A horrific side to watch Dead 
Bohs just can’t beat them 
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 9:19am
The points are all that matters for now
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:26pm
We're back baby
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

No change then.  John "Mr. Grassroots" Caulfield remained because of points gained, Mr. Grassroots left because of points lost.  The points are all that matters is a thing at Turner's Cross.  Youth, Development, Future, Progress not so much.  The immediacy of Outcome-led football has lost the argument at CCFC, yet still the points are all that matters for now.

There are alternative views.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Yep, hopefully 4th place.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 80>
  Share Topic