You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:44pm
The oddest thing about that group was Israel. Never thought they were up to that much. Every time they played one of the big guns I felt this is where they get their comeuppance. Yet, every time they seemed to somehow scramble another draw like the game here when they were really outplayed. Weird team and one of the most annoying goalkeepers we ever faced. 
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:44pm
Dudu prick.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:48pm
Dudu still hate that ****
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:01pm
It wasn't the Israel game that was the most galling of the 04/05 campaign because 8 times out 10, Ireland would beat Israel in those circumstances, but that last game at home to Switzerland. If ever there was a time to be fired up and go for it, that was the game, and yet the team delivered the quintessential, depressingly conservative performance against a Swiss side who may have been reasonably well-organised but certainly no world-beaters. And I lay the blame squarely at the players' feet for that. If you can't have a go there, you don't deserve to be at the World Cup. 

Edited by BriMurt - 23 Jun 2017 at 3:02pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

It wasn't the Israel game that was the most galling of the 04/05 campaign, but that last game at home to Switzerland. If ever there was a time to be fired up and go for it, that was the game, and yet the team delivered the quintessential, depressingly conservative performance against a Swiss side who may have been reasonably well-organised but certainly no world-beaters. And I lay the blame squarely at the players' feet for that. If you can't have a go there, you don't deserve to be at the World Cup. 
That was an extremely frustrating match. I remember feeling so angry leaving the stadium after the game. IIRC, he took Robbie Keane off after 75 minutes and put on Stephen Elliot. We didn't threaten at all. I was expecting the usual high tempo, long balls pumped into the box etc for the last 20 minutes or so but there was nothing. At the time I wanted Kerr to be sacked but looking back, he should have been given the Euro 2008 campaign.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It wasn't the Israel game that was the most galling of the 04/05 campaign, but that last game at home to Switzerland. If ever there was a time to be fired up and go for it, that was the game, and yet the team delivered the quintessential, depressingly conservative performance against a Swiss side who may have been reasonably well-organised but certainly no world-beaters. And I lay the blame squarely at the players' feet for that. If you can't have a go there, you don't deserve to be at the World Cup. 
That was an extremely frustrating match. I remember feeling so angry leaving the stadium after the game. IIRC, he took Robbie Keane off after 75 minutes and put on Stephen Elliot. We didn't threaten at all. I was expecting the usual high tempo, long balls pumped into the box etc for the last 20 minutes or so but there was nothing. At the time I wanted Kerr to be sacked but looking back, he should have been given the Euro 2008 campaign.

Kerr was probably looking for something different, but the team as a whole played in a disinterested fashion, so there wasn't much service for a fresh striker to take advantage of anyway. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:09pm
His time as manager should have absolute no impact on how people take his views on current performances though. Kerr is there because he is someone who genuinely understands the game, when he gives his opinion and it is negative or critical you have people shouting about him not doing any better, which is completely irrelevant.
I do think though, as I have said before, that he does enjoy leaving the boot in a bit and needs to harness his own bitterness towards the FAI.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:10pm

It was all a bit surreal that game. I was very young at the time but i remember feeling there wasnt a big match feeling about the game in the stands, like say there was when we lost 1-0 to France. We played as though we were already through or already out. It was almost like a friendly. 

I'll never forget 'Congratulations Switzerland' coming up on the scoreboard almost before the ref had even put the final whistle to his lips Dead
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

It was all a bit surreal that game. I was very young at the time but i remember feeling there wasnt a big match feeling about the game in the stands, like say there was when we lost 1-0 to France. We played as though we were already through or already out. It was almost like a friendly. 

I'll never forget 'Congratulations Switzerland' coming up on the scoreboard almost before the ref had even put the final whistle to his lips Dead

It's not the big teams or little teams I dread to see Ireland playing, but that opposition which is more or less an even match. It is against these teams that Ireland so often fail to perform. If you could hypnotise Ireland to believe that they're the out and out underdog in every game, they'd probably likely have qualified for more stuff than they have. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:25pm
I'll never forget that Dudu prick punching Andy O'Brien in the face which, somehow got O'Brien sent off. 

The 2 draws with Israel were a killer, we would have topped the group with wins.

As for the 0-0 with Switzerland, that was a real low point. I think Ian Harte had the only notable chance of the game after about 10 minutes and the rest of the match was dire! 

Kerr had a very good tarting 11 but we had no strength in depth those days.

Remember a certain Jon Macken getting a cap!? LOL

"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:27pm
The notion was aswell the players were bored with the level of detail and preparation he went into before games. Hence He couldnt get them fired up.

Theres a stark Irony here somewhere but suffice to say it wasnt footballing matters that were his downfall but maybe his personell management skills. Does anyone remember him having to stand up for Keane for coming home late during match week?
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

The notion was aswell the players were bored with the level of detail and preparation he went into before games. Hence He couldnt get them fired up.

If players need someone to fire them up for a crucial WC qualifying game, then they're even bigger prima donnas  than I thought. The situation should be all the impetus needed. It was a game that was a real slap in the face to the notion of the Irish spirit. Spirit they have when things are going well, maybe. But when the chips are down? That's when it really counts. 

Brian Kerr may have been a negative manager, but there's no way he instructed them to play the turgid football they did on that night. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Ive mixed feelings for Kerr, was a big fan of him until I met him... Such an arrogant man and still bitter about the how he was treated as senior manager.

From a football point of view, I agree with 99% what he has to say. Theres no doubt he knows his ball inside out, great dept of knowledge of the game.. the dogs on the street know it..

But its comments like I wouldn't pay to see Ireland after the Austria game and when I met him he was saying to our group he was only there for the pay day.. couldn't give a fiddlers about the ball or team that annoyed me.

That'd be the complete opposite of how I have found him to be any time I have met him. I've met him a number of times and he's always been very approachable and more than willing to talk football - especially, as MC Hammered mentioned, LOI.
I'd be the same...approached him with the Harps jersey on in Moldova and he was more than happy to chat all things LOI...The main thing I took from the chat though was how much he hated Zimbru, as they had knocked Pats out of Europe at one stage!
When he was managing the Faroes, they drew NI in one of the qualifying groups. After the game out there, he cadged a lift back on the IFA flight (a charter), on which there were also a number of NI fans. Despite everything, including the fact we only drew Ouch, they all liked him and thought him sound.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Ive mixed feelings for Kerr, was a big fan of him until I met him... Such an arrogant man and still bitter about the how he was treated as senior manager.

From a football point of view, I agree with 99% what he has to say. Theres no doubt he knows his ball inside out, great dept of knowledge of the game.. the dogs on the street know it..

But its comments like I wouldn't pay to see Ireland after the Austria game and when I met him he was saying to our group he was only there for the pay day.. couldn't give a fiddlers about the ball or team that annoyed me.

That'd be the complete opposite of how I have found him to be any time I have met him. I've met him a number of times and he's always been very approachable and more than willing to talk football - especially, as MC Hammered mentioned, LOI.
I'd be the same...approached him with the Harps jersey on in Moldova and he was more than happy to chat all things LOI...The main thing I took from the chat though was how much he hated Zimbru, as they had knocked Pats out of Europe at one stage!
When he was managing the Faroes, they drew NI in one of the qualifying groups. After the game out there, he cadged a lift back on the IFA flight (a charter), on which there were also a number of NI fans. Despite everything, including the fact we only drew Ouch, they all liked him and thought him sound.

Decent point for your lot back then.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Decent point for your lot back then.
To be filed under the category of "Sad But True". LOL
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:54pm
The thing with Kerr was the team seemed to show no spirit at all. Very flat performances. Eg. Switzerland away 2003, home 2005, France 2005...

Now the players were definitely at fault too.  I heard they hated the team meetings and didnt bother watching the DVDs Kerr gave them to watch on the opposition and wanted the party days back. It was too serious for them.  I find that pathetic for professionals tbh.

That's why they were initially pleased when Stan got the job and brought back the ''feel good factor'' (ha!) as it was called at the time. He brought back Tony Hickey and they all hopped on him when we beat Sweden 3-0. Stan was going to bring back the ways of Jack.

Despite what Dunphy says on RTE I find the Irish players unprofessional.  Ok they usually give their all (most of the time) but there is definitely a culture of liking to come over for interntional duty and having a piss up. They don't like being professional. They were in coppers after the Austria match.  I see them in there after nearly every match.  That's a joke tbh.

I suppose Kerr had Keane, Duff, Given, Dunne at their very best form. Duff was at Chelsea, Dunne player of the year at City, Given in top form, Keane banging them in at Spurs.  They were all very mediocre when they played for Eire under Kerr.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:00pm
thinking back to that time, i dont think dunne ever played in a competitive game under kerr. it was always breen and cunningham in the euro qualfiers , then andy o'brien replaced breen for the 06 campaign. 
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The thing with Kerr was the team seemed to show no spirit at all. Very flat performances. Eg. Switzerland away 2003, home 2005, France 2005...

Now the players were definitely at fault too.  I heard they hated the team meetings and didnt bother watching the DVDs Kerr gave them to watch on the opposition and wanted the party days back. It was too serious for them.  I find that pathetic for professionals tbh.

That's why they were initially pleased when Stan got the job and brought back the ''feel good factor'' (ha!) as it was called at the time. He brought back Tony Hickey and they all hopped on him when we beat Sweden 3-0. Stan was going to bring back the ways of Jack.

Despite what Dunphy says on RTE I find the Irish players unprofessional.  Ok they usually give their all (most of the time) but there is definitely a culture of liking to come over for interntional duty and having a piss up. They don't like being professional. They were in coppers after the Austria match.  I see them in there after nearly every match.  That's a joke tbh.

I suppose Kerr had Keane, Duff, Given, Dunne at their very best form. Duff was at Chelsea, Dunne player of the year at City, Given in top form, Keane banging them in at Spurs.  They were all very mediocre when they played for Eire under Kerr.

Nothing wrong with having a pint after a single game international weekend. If they were getting pissed in between games of a double header, that's more of a problem. However, I'd say you have as much chance of removing the drink culture from the team's mentality as you would eliminating the long ball approach. 

But for perspective, do other international teams have a very strict approach to how their players behave in between games? I seem to remember a shot of the German team disembarking from their plane at the last WC and Ozil being photographed with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Makes me wonder how strictly other teams police their players and how much it's a factor. Have any of us ever watched Ireland play and gone, "Yeah, they look hungover. That's why they're 1-nil down."?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
  Share Topic