Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:45am
But McAteer was around the Irish squad when Kerr was coaching the underage teams to semi-finals of World Championships and to two European titles. Also, many of the players who played with McAteer around that time came via Kerr’s management.

It’s a bizarre retrospective, and sadly I think shines a bit of a light on the idea that from some players you’d get more respect as a merry-go-round journeyman manager in the UK, that has never lifted a trophy, than if you actually have achieved in the game.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

But McAteer was around the Irish squad when Kerr was coaching the underage teams to semi-finals of World Championships and to two European titles. Also, many of the players who played with McAteer around that time came via Kerr’s management.

It’s a bizarre retrospective, and sadly I think shines a bit of a light on the idea that from some players you’d get more respect as a merry-go-round journeyman manager in the UK, that has never lifted a trophy, than if you actually have achieved in the game.

What would McAteer know about Irish football though? He probably wasn't even aware of the underage teams successes with Kerr.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:50am
He played with the likes of Keane and Duff who were going through that system at the same time as they were first being capped. The idea that he didn’t know him is fanciful. But, the idea that his view of who he’d take instruction from would be influenced by what he though a manager should be makes more sense.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:03pm
Petty comments from McAteer, but I believe Shay Given said something along the same lines about Kerr. So it wasn't a view restricted only to McAteer.
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Petty comments from McAteer, but I believe Shay Given said something along the same lines about Kerr. So it wasn't a view restricted only to McAteer.

Someone posted the comments from his book on foot.ie,

"When it came to Brian's managerial style I felt it was a wee bit naive and basic for the very highest level. I don't mean to do him a diservice but it seemed a bit up-and-at-'em - just get stuck in and see what happens. He had only worked with young players and, for me, it felt like he was a bit too inexperienced in getting the best out of lads who'd played in the Premier League."
Bonehead24 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonehead24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

What would McAteer know about Irish football though? He probably wasn't even aware of the underage teams successes with Kerr.
I'd be of the view that this says more about McAteer than anything else.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:23pm
Whether the manager is Kerr or Kenny, players will start asking what do they know about the game at that level, especially when things start going south. I'm sure it happens at club football as well. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Whether the manager is Kerr or Kenny, players will start asking what do they know about the game at that level, especially when things start going south. I'm sure it happens at club football as well. 

Luckily no sign of this, at least thus far in the Kenny era. He seems to have engendered a pretty good team spirit among the group based on everything I have seen/read. Dont recall any of the current crop having a pop, they all seem committed to the cause and to the management team. Everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction.

It's the ex-pros and ex-managers raising these kind of issues regarding Kenny, funnily enough Kerr being one such Smile
Idah Dream!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 1:47pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 1:57pm
Yeah he is. Looks like he made sure to know the points totals for the previous campaigns, so he veered off into that territory instead of talking about the game itself. Agenda.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:00pm
Still though, perhaps he isn't the right messenger? The first 1:30 of the interview is not wide of the mark, and if it was to come from somebody else, it may be an easier pill to swallow.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:06pm
If we had of won 1-0 and he'd have taken issue with something

Edited by Denis Irwin - 28 Mar 2023 at 2:08pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:08pm
Its pathetic how former managers hardly ever praise other managers. The way he goes on you would think he won the WC when he was manager with us. Its pathetic from him. That whole Virgin panel is laughable.
I love beer gardens
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Its pathetic how former managers hardly ever praise other managers. The way he goes on you would think he won the WC when he was manager with us. Its pathetic from him. That whole Virgin panel is laughable.

O'Neill was at it to on ViaPlay last night

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

O'Neill was at it to on ViaPlay last night

didn't see that. sad really if you ask me.
I love beer gardens
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

If we had of won 1-0 and he'd have taken issue with something

Maybe, but like I said, it may be more to do with the messenger than the message itself. I think there is an appropriate and proportionate response to last night's game that doesn't undermine the fantastic efforts of the team, but acknowledges that in there is a loss, and ways in which that loss could have potentially been avoided.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:35pm
O'Neill and Kerr appear to be quite bitter people in general. I think Mick Mccarthy was a bit more fair when he did a bit of commentary work on ireland games and he is the one who should be the most bitter. 

Don't know why Kerr has the beef with Kenny but it's farily obvious he has an agenda. Delaney is also a bit of critic of Kenny as well and always looking at the glass half empty when it comes to the ireland performances under Kenny. Maybe Kerr told him privately what Kenny did to him Big smile

Edited by t_rAndy - 28 Mar 2023 at 2:36pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:43pm
Penny for Steve Staunton's thoughts. When you look at the Stan era, and the Kenny era you can see certain similarities, not least the results, but also the efforts to bring through new players, as was needed at the time, and harmonise with the players who had been around the block.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
  Share Topic