You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Brian Kerr is an arsehole.  His time as manager was one of the most boring periods watching us play.  Had a team full of very good young players and he ruined their creativity and flair.  We played the most boring football and would always start lively, score then sit back for the rest of the 85 mins until the inevitable conceded equaliser.

He wasted a generation at their peak
And he never got within an asses roar of winning anything with all the Irish teams he managed...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 8:02pm

Brian Kerr is an arsehole.  His time as manager was one of the most boring periods watching us play.  Had a team full of very good young players and he ruined their creativity and flair.  We played the most boring football and would always start lively, score then sit back for the rest of the 85 mins until the inevitable conceded equaliser.

You could argue that Jack Charlton wasted Ireland's greatest chance of silverware by not qualifying for Euro '92.

Between 1990-1992, we had players from some of the best First Division teams in England at our disposal. We didn't lose a single qualifier. But we drew too many games, which ultimately cost us. That 0-0 draw at home vs Poland was the difference between qualifying and not.

Denmark won Euro '92. That could have been us. It was our chance to do a Greece.

Bonner, O'Leary, Moran, McGrath, Staunton, Irwin, Townsend, Whelan, Keane, Houghton, Sheedy, Aldridge, Quinn, Cascarino.

The squad was getting old by 1994. It was already old by 1990.

dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Does Kerr have some personal beef against Kenny or is this more back to his FAI days?

I don't know if there's a beef between them but Kerr and Kenny worked together at Pats in the 90s, Kenny was U21 manager and then went to Longford around the same time Kerr got the FAI job. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Kerr's articles in the independent, and the times before that, have been written with a poison pen for a long time. The only difference is now it's on tv, not in print
T, you are the stats guru here, do you know how Kerrs results compare to other managers of the Irish team ? Think he comes out quite well.

If I remember correctly he comes out well if you include friendlies. I don't think he comes out great in competitive games. Some pretty poor performances too (home and away against Albania, a couple against Switzerland). To be fair to him though he often gets stick for the home Israel game but we were just unlucky in that one.

In fairness to Kerr, the margins were fine in both campaigns, particularly that second one. Henry's goal in Dublin was the difference for us, even 0-0 there and we'd be a point ahead of the other two going into October, then a 0-0 in Dublin with the Swiss would have been us celebrating a playoff most likely. For me the matches he fcuked up were the 0-0 against the Swiss, Cyprus away and to an extent Israel. Russia is 03 were there for the taking as well after Duff scored.  

We capitulated fairly easily in Basel in 2003 as well I recall, when it was a cup final for us with nothing to lose, with a win guaranteeing a playoff. Losing the first two in that group made it a lost cause but Albania and Georgia took points off Russia and Switzerland to help us out. 

Edited by dangere_here - 22 Sep 2022 at 9:30pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

You could argue that Jack Charlton wasted Ireland's greatest chance of silverware by not qualifying for Euro '92.

Between 1990-1992, we had players from some of the best First Division teams in England at our disposal. We didn't lose a single qualifier. But we drew too many games, which ultimately cost us. That 0-0 draw at home vs Poland was the difference between qualifying and not.

Denmark won Euro '92. That could have been us. It was our chance to do a Greece.

Bonner, O'Leary, Moran, McGrath, Staunton, Irwin, Townsend, Whelan, Keane, Houghton, Sheedy, Aldridge, Quinn, Cascarino.

The squad was getting old by 1994. It was already old by 1990.

Yeah but only 1 team got through in Euro 92 not like in 2005.  Fair enough Charlton probably over estimated England under Taylor but that's easy in hindsight as they hadn't turned into the laughing stock they were in 1993 yet. At the time they were a top 4 team in the world fresh off the World Cup.   Poland away and home cost us.

Kerr never looked like being a success.  The football was poor to watch and watching his teams play it never looked like we would win.  We'd score early and then sit back and never create a chance after and held out for the inevitable draw or win.

Cyprus away was almost  a Stan moment for Kerr.  Given got him out of jail.

Overall a dull manager who was ultimately not up to it tactically at that level.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Kerr's articles in the independent, and the times before that, have been written with a poison pen for a long time. The only difference is now it's on tv, not in print
T, you are the stats guru here, do you know how Kerrs results compare to other managers of the Irish team ? Think he comes out quite well.

If I remember correctly he comes out well if you include friendlies. I don't think he comes out great in competitive games. Some pretty poor performances too (home and away against Albania, a couple against Switzerland). To be fair to him though he often gets stick for the home Israel game but we were just unlucky in that one.

In fairness to Kerr, the margins were fine in both campaigns, particularly that second one. Henry's goal in Dublin was the difference for us, even 0-0 there and we'd be a point ahead of the other two going into October, then a 0-0 in Dublin with the Swiss would have been us celebrating a playoff most likely. For me the matches he fcuked up were the 0-0 against the Swiss, Cyprus away and to an extent Israel. Russia is 03 were there for the taking as well after Duff scored.  

We capitulated fairly easily in Basel in 2003 as well I recall, when it was a cup final for us with nothing to lose, with a win guaranteeing a playoff. Losing the first two in that group made it a lost cause but Albania and Georgia took points off Russia and Switzerland to help us out. 

Basel in 2003 and Swiss again in 2004 and 2005 were all woeful performances totally devoid of Irish spirit and heart and instead replaced by this cold cautious team that capitulated fairly easily.  The Kerr era was a bad experiment.

Keane, Given, Duff, Dunne all at their peak with a lot of good pros like Roy Keane, Kinsella, Holland, et al to bolster the squad with experience.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:37pm
Looking back I no longer buy the idea that Euro 92 was a missed opportunity to win a major tournament. We weren’t beating major opposition, and I think beyond the group the likes of the Dutch would have beaten us. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Looking back I no longer buy the idea that Euro 92 was a missed opportunity to win a major tournament. We weren’t beating major opposition, and I think beyond the group the likes of the Dutch would have beaten us. 

Holland were definitely better and were the best team at Euro 92 imo.  Germany were probably better and would have won just with their history versus ours. France were decent but untimately bottlers.
Sweden were ok and would have given us a right good game,  Denmark were around our level. 

I just think ability wise we actually were good enough but mentally wise I still dont think we had the mentality to go and win it.  We were EIRE.  We weren't supposed to contend and win things and so we never did.  We always lacked athat little bit of extra belief based on our countirs footballing traditions and past.

Edited by Trap junior - 22 Sep 2022 at 10:43pm

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:45pm
Honestly, I’m not sure it was just down to mentality. Apart from Spain in 1989, beating major team escaped us a bit and the Euro 92 qualifiers showed signs of decline. Poland away being an obvious one, but we were toothless against Poland in Dublin.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:53pm

Euro 2000 was a bigger missed opportunity IMO. We'd a good blend of youth and experience and had beaten Croatia x2 in qualifying who finished 3rd in the '98 World Cup as well as beating a strong Yugoslavia that narrowly lost to the Dutch in the last 16 of the same competition. Then you had our results in the 2002 qualifiers a win and a draw against the Dutch and x2 draws vs Portugal. Plus our results/performances vs Germany and Spain in the finals themselves.

Turkey who took our place at Euro 2000 were in a group with Italy, Sweden and Belgium and got out of it with a win and a draw playing Portugal in Quarter finals.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:56pm

He was the most boring until Trapattoni and O'Neill came along LOL
It would damage this forums' reputation
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

He was the most boring until Trapattoni and O'Neill came along LOL

Martin 0-Nil

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Euro 2000 was a bigger missed opportunity IMO. We'd a good blend of youth and experience and had beaten Croatia x2 in qualifying who finished 3rd in the '98 World Cup as well

Ask Davor Suker about that 93rd minute winner Embarrassed I take your point but looking back I think McCarthy only had the team with a stable mentality for the 2002 campaign. Before that we were all over the shop at times, we had the talent just not the self-belief to finish the job. Away form in eastern Europe particularly cost us

Iceland + Lithuania home draws
Romania away
the famous Macedonia defeat
Iceland and Lithuania away were very nearly disasters
Belgium playoff at home, throwing it away after a cracking start
Yugoslavia away
Malta away 3-2 was another near catastrophe
the late sucker punch in Croatia
Macedonia say no more
Turkey playoff, again making it hard for our selves with the away goal

Granted the wins against Croatia and Yugoslavia in Dublin were top class, particularly the dramatic Yugoslavia win, one of the best goals ever scored in Lansdowne. 

Edited by dangere_here - 22 Sep 2022 at 11:08pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Euro 2000 was a bigger missed opportunity IMO. We'd a good blend of youth and experience and had beaten Croatia x2 in qualifying who finished 3rd in the '98 World Cup as well as beating a strong Yugoslavia that narrowly lost to the Dutch in the last 16 of the same competition. Then you had our results in the 2002 qualifiers a win and a draw against the Dutch and x2 draws vs Portugal. Plus our results/performances vs Germany and Spain in the finals themselves.

Turkey who took our place at Euro 2000 were in a group with Italy, Sweden and Belgium and got out of it with a win and a draw playing Portugal in Quarter finals.

I also think Roy Keane was at his peak.

We did lack a combination of solid centre backs at the time, with Cunningham being the obvious strong link. But there were players like Carr coming of age, and at Leeds they were about to embark on the Champions League run with several Irish players there. You might have even had a wild card selection like Alan Mahon.

I think we weren’t strong enough in some areas, but it was a missed opportunity.
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 11:59pm
I seem to remember Kerr getting some decent results when managing the Faroes?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:21am
Jason McAteer with some predictably moronic comments about Kerr's reign.

Andy Reid contradicted what he said about the players not respecting him so McAteer doubles down on the cheek and stupidity.

Stephen Cluxton didn't punch that lad in the face hard enough.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:31am
McAteer said he didn't have a lot of respect for Kerr based on his lack of achievement in the
senior game. Its a valid opinion, but I don't see much point in expressing it publicly. Had Kerr taken a pop at him previously or something?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:37am
Exactly ^

I'm sure there are others who felt the same as McAteer too.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
  Share Topic