You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Does Kerr have some personal beef against Kenny or is this more back to his FAI days?
He's looking after himself. Needs to be different, controversial. From the outset, another pro-Kenny muppet would have attracted f-all reaction. He's using Dunphy's template: tune in, hear me, hate me, talk about me, make me relevant. 

Yeah and while I am very much pro Kenny I have no issue with anyone being a bit sceptical about him. His tenure has been mixed you can pick holes. 

it's just the narrative he tried to invent in his head about Scotland punishing us if they had a top class goalscorer when the two chances they had all match were two efforts on the edge of the box gifted to them by Duffy. If your not gone on a coach at least make the criticism accurate.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Does Kerr have some personal beef against Kenny or is this more back to his FAI days?
He's looking after himself. Needs to be different, controversial. From the outset, another pro-Kenny muppet would have attracted f-all reaction. He's using Dunphy's template: tune in, hear me, hate me, talk about me, make me relevant. 

Yeah and while I am very much pro Kenny I have no issue with anyone being a bit sceptical about him. His tenure has been mixed you can pick holes. 

it's just the narrative he tried to invent in his head about Scotland punishing us if they had a top class goalscorer when the two chances they had all match were two efforts on the edge of the box gifted to them by Duffy. If your not gone on a coach at least make the criticism accurate.

Fully agreed, we were much the better team on the day and surprised the Scots with both our tenacity and ability. To try and belittle what was a real achievement for the team is small time. As you say there are plenty of sticks to beat Kenny with, the Scottish game is not even a twiglet.
Idah Dream!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Fully agreed, we were much the better team on the day and surprised the Scots with both our tenacity and ability. To try and belittle what was a real achievement for the team is small time. As you say there are plenty of sticks to beat Kenny with, the Scottish game is not even a twiglet.
We have disagreements, he has agendas. He desperately wants to have input by being a tv personality. It's possible he harbours ambitions to be involved with the team again. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:48pm
Kerr has strong views and is not afraid to air them publicly unlike others who talk a lot but say nothing. It is true that if his views are more critical than the group think, he is portrayed as a bit of a curmudgeon with a grievance.  If he does have a beef with the FAI he is probably justified. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Kerr has strong views and is not afraid to air them publicly unlike others who talk a lot but say nothing. It is true that if his views are more critical than the group think, he is portrayed as a bit of a curmudgeon with a grievance.  If he does have a beef with the FAI he is probably justified. 

I think the thing that rubs people up the wrong way is that from day one, his criticism of Kenny, rightly or wrongly, has seemed personal. I dont think anybody has any beef with Kerr being vehemently critical of the FAI, but he has seemed, either intentionally or otherwise, to be completely ott in his criticism of the current regime. I think it's possible to air strong views without them bordering on the personal. Tbh it comes off as small time and imo has besmirched the reputation of a guy who was generally reasonably well regarded before this.
Idah Dream!
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:59pm
Kerr's articles in the independent, and the times before that, have been written with a poison pen for a long time. The only difference is now it's on tv, not in print
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Kerr's articles in the independent, and the times before that, have been written with a poison pen for a long time. The only difference is now it's on tv, not in print
T, you are the stats guru here, do you know how Kerrs results compare to other managers of the Irish team ? Think he comes out quite well.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:22pm

T, you are the stats guru here, do you know how Kerrs results compare to other managers of the Irish team ? Think he comes out quite well.

I think he certainly had a better set of players at that time and I seem to remember a gutless wretched performance vs the Swiss which was the death knell for him, but I took no particular joy from his subsequent, in my view warranted, dismissal and I still had a lot of time for the man. The tome and tenor of his criticism of the current regime has soured my opinion of him considerably.
Idah Dream!
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:39pm

Great results in friendlies. Think Albania were the highest ranked team we beat in competitive games. Could have been Georgia. Very strong squad relative to the current squad.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:36pm

If I remember correctly he comes out well if you include friendlies. I don't think he comes out great in competitive games. Some pretty poor performances too (home and away against Albania, a couple against Switzerland). To be fair to him though he often gets stick for the home Israel game but we were just unlucky in that one.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

If I remember correctly he comes out well if you include friendlies. I don't think he comes out great in competitive games. Some pretty poor performances too (home and away against Albania, a couple against Switzerland). To be fair to him though he often gets stick for the home Israel game but we were just unlucky in that one.

We weren't just unlucky.  The keeper was a massive bollox.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Kerr blew it by bringing on Graham Kavanagh for an injured Robbie Keane.

Numerous examples of negative tactics throughout that campaign despite having a really good selection of top 10 Premier League players - Switzerland home & away, Israel home & away were massive opportunities missed Cry
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Numerous examples of negative tactics throughout that campaign despite having a really good selection of top 10 Premier League players - Switzerland home & away, Israel home & away were massive opportunities missed Cry

The thing is though we continued to make and miss chances after that substitution. It's not like we fell apart after Kavanagh came on. We just couldn't score. Throw in the antics of their goalie and a lad somehow putting a header in the top corner from about 18 yards and it just wasn't our day. You're right though generally about his negative tactics.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:58pm

The thing is though we continued to make and miss chances after that substitution. It's not like we fell apart after Kavanagh came on. We just couldn't score. Throw in the antics of their goalie and a lad somehow putting a header in the top corner from about 18 yards and it just wasn't our day. You're right though generally about his negative tactics.

When you look at the selection of players we had at our disposal - Given, O'Brien, Finnan, Carr, O'Shea, Roy, Kilbane, Duff, Robbie were all playing for top 6 clubs and the rest of the squad was made up of Premier League regulars (Cunningham, Harte, Dunne, Carsley, Holland, Morrison, Reid's). How we didn't top that group is a real shame and 2 wins against Israel would have seen us comfortably through as winners....
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:04pm
The comparison of managers is on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team#Coaching_staff

Kerr has the best win percentage of any manager with more than ten games in charge, but in my opinion the devil's in the details
Never beat a team ranked in the top 80 in the world in a competitive game, Georgia were 82nd when we beat them IIRC
Never scored more than three goals in a game, and only did that twice
Underachieved massively with the best squad available to any manager since Italia 90 IMO, peak Robbie Keane, peak Duff, Given, Finnan, etc.
Finished third and fourth in his two campaigns, the lowest for any team since the 1986 world cup qualifiers
He left a fit Stephen Elliott on the bench against Israel, and brought on Kavanagh, which completely upset the rhythm of the team. Duff was tearing then apart on the left, but was isolated when moved up front. It was a horrible refereeing decision and a once in a career goal that let Israel back into the game, but Kerr's changes made it easier for them
A year before the 5-2 loss to Cyprus, we needed a penalty save from given to get out of there with three points, and that final game against Switzerland was soul destroying. We needed a win, but barely landed a glove on them, and they were happy to sit back and play for a draw. He took off Robbie Keane when he needed a goal at home, which is still unbelievable to me.

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 22 Sep 2022 at 3:16pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:07pm

Think he over thought that substitution - he ended up moving Kilbane from CM to LM and pushed Duff from LM up to CF which disrupted the rhythm of the team. Instead he should have brought on Stephen Elliott for Robbie in a straight swap. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:41pm
Agree with CH. By the time the side settled into the 4-5-1 we had lost our rhythm and lead. Second half was productive only we couldn’t hit the net. Dudu’s role as pantomime villain is overstated, and even with 10 men we had chances. But like the lead in Israel, we blew it.

Truth is after the Portugal game we struggled to look productive in games (apart from spells of the Israel game.)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:50pm
Brian Kerr is an arsehole.  His time as manager was one of the most boring periods watching us play.  Had a team full of very good young players and he ruined their creativity and flair.  We played the most boring football and would always start lively, score then sit back for the rest of the 85 mins until the inevitable conceded equaliser.

He wasted a generation at their peak
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
  Share Topic