Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 8:39am
A great man. I just fear he'd be too far removed from the modern day 19/20 year old footballer.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 8:41am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Being linked with the 21's. Would rather that job went to someone with more recent coaching experience. He's too long out of the game IMO. Would be more suited to an advisory role for the domestic leagues.

100% agree on this. I'm a big fan of Kerr. You know he honestly wants whats best for the Irish game irrespective of whether he is on the payroll or not. He understands how the system works including all it's flaws. He is a strong enough personality to take on the various factions in an advisory role. 
Football has progressed a lot in the last 10 years though so the u21's job should be given to one of the talented younger lads we have (Mohan, Crawford, Andrews, Donohue etc). 
El Puto Amo
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 8:58am
Great if he’s back involved but seriously not as no1 at any age levels. 
As has been said, far too long away from it
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 9:00am
Ye like we can say that he's better than what we had before Kenny but I don't think we should be taking any backward steps now that there is serious momentum behind our underage sides for the first time in a decade or two. 

There's a lot of romanticism when it comes to Kerr. But I agree that the job should go to Mohan, etc. The underage coaches should feel that there is a similar pathway available to them as there is to the players.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 9:16am
Should be given an advisory role or be the man to oversee youth football imo not a managerial one. Tactics have moved on completley since Kerr was last in charge.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:15am
Employing a guy in 2020 based on achievements dating back to the mid to late 1990s? That's just not progressive. It smacks of a PR move, getting a  popular media figure and long-standing critic back inside the tent. Yet more short-termism. Why not employ a younger coach with a few fresher ideas with a view to possible future succession? It seems Kenny, itself a cynical PR-driven appointment, was a one-off.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:28am

Ye like we can say that he's better than what we had before Kenny but I don't think we should be taking any backward steps now that there is serious momentum behind our underage sides for the first time in a decade or two. 

There's a lot of romanticism when it comes to Kerr. But I agree that the job should go to Mohan, etc. The underage coaches should feel that there is a similar pathway available to them as there is to the players.

Good point. 

I was initially happy to hear Kerr potentially taking over the U-21s but Mohan deserves his chance. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:41am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Employing a guy in 2020 based on achievements dating back to the mid to late 1990s? That's just not progressive. It smacks of a PR move, getting a  popular media figure and long-standing critic back inside the tent. Yet more short-termism. Why not employ a younger coach with a few fresher ideas with a view to possible future succession? It seems Kenny, itself a cynical PR-driven appointment, was a one-off.

He might not be employed as a coach. Don't forget that we had a structure operating here that ensured that the junior councils and other FAI goons propped up a corrupt regime in exchange for blazers, access to match tickets and foreign junkets. BK was treated horrendously for speaking out. If he wanted to come in and clear out the last of the old guard, I would be delighted to see it happen. He could start with Fran Gavin. 

I see RTE have taken down the video of Kerr ripping Gavin out of it on Soccer Republic. 

El Puto Amo
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Good point. 

I was initially happy to hear Kerr potentially taking over the U-21s but Mohan deserves his chance. 

Yeah, you're right. Kerr has a lot to offer even still with his knowledge of the game but should take an 'upstairs' role.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 11:03am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

He might not be employed as a coach. Don't forget that we had a structure operating here that ensured that the junior councils and other FAI goons propped up a corrupt regime in exchange for blazers, access to match tickets and foreign junkets. BK was treated horrendously for speaking out. If he wanted to come in and clear out the last of the old guard, I would be delighted to see it happen. He could start with Fran Gavin. 

I see RTE have taken down the video of Kerr ripping Gavin out of it on Soccer Republic. 

An oversight role I could live with. Kerr is a good guy, knowledgeable and genuinely has Irish footballs's best interests at heart. You're right to point that a full cleaning out of the Augean stables is what's called for. The removal of a few figureheads at the top isn't enough.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Good point. 

Yeah, you're right. Kerr has a lot to offer even still with his knowledge of the game but should take an 'upstairs' role.

Due to the financial situation there is no upstairs and it is now a bungalow.  Think there is a nice one in Wickow for Rent  
AKA pedantic kunt
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 1:45pm

An oversight role I could live with. Kerr is a good guy, knowledgeable and genuinely has Irish footballs's best interests at heart. You're right to point that a full cleaning out of the Augean stables is what's called for. The removal of a few figureheads at the top isn't enough.

Paxman: Now let's meet the team from Balliol College.

Newbie: Hi, my name's Newt Newbie, I'm originally from Newbridge in Ireland, and I'm reading Classics.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 20 Feb 2020 at 1:46pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 1:49pm

If these coaches are good enough, then yeah I'd fully agree. It would be fairly disheartening to be overlooked for the position if you're good enough 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 2:17pm

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 3:40pm
Would be great to see Kerr involved in some capacity.

So now that the 'new FAI' seem to be getting their house in order, should they also try poach Lee Carsley from the FA? Seems to be one of the most highly regarded coaches in the English game and actually came to the FAI initially to work for Ireland instead of England and he was shunted!

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 4:17pm

Being linked with the 21's. Would rather that job went to someone with more recent coaching experience. He's too long out of the game IMO. Would be more suited to an advisory role for the domestic leagues.
Who is linking him with the 21s ? 
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 5:18pm
Would love to see him involved in some capacity Thumbs Up

I'm sure he would be a huge asset to the organisation even in an advisory role, whether that leads to him being involved in the international set up or not who knows. 

Imagine Kerr going around to various leagues/clubs throughout the country passing on his knowledge, helping implement structures or new ideas etc and because he's a likeable figure no doubt would result in good PR for the FAI. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Augustus Gloop View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Augustus Gloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 7:08pm
I think they'll bring him in on a similar role to Niall Quinn. A highly respected figure who will help bring respect back to a badly damaged brand, and who's ideas and passion will be used to help improve football at all levels. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
  Share Topic