You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The thing with Kerr was the team seemed to show no spirit at all. Very flat performances. Eg. Switzerland away 2003, home 2005, France 2005...

Now the players were definitely at fault too.  I heard they hated the team meetings and didnt bother watching the DVDs Kerr gave them to watch on the opposition and wanted the party days back. It was too serious for them.  I find that pathetic for professionals tbh.

That's why they were initially pleased when Stan got the job and brought back the ''feel good factor'' (ha!) as it was called at the time. He brought back Tony Hickey and they all hopped on him when we beat Sweden 3-0. Stan was going to bring back the ways of Jack.

Despite what Dunphy says on RTE I find the Irish players unprofessional.  Ok they usually give their all (most of the time) but there is definitely a culture of liking to come over for interntional duty and having a piss up. They don't like being professional. They were in coppers after the Austria match.  I see them in there after nearly every match.  That's a joke tbh.

I suppose Kerr had Keane, Duff, Given, Dunne at their very best form. Duff was at Chelsea, Dunne player of the year at City, Given in top form, Keane banging them in at Spurs.  They were all very mediocre when they played for Eire under Kerr.

Nothing wrong with having a pint after a single game international weekend. If they were getting pissed in between games of a double header, that's more of a problem. However, I'd say you have as much chance of removing the drink culture from the team's mentality as you would eliminating the long ball approach. 

But for perspective, do other international teams have a very strict approach to how their players behave in between games? I seem to remember a shot of the German team disembarking from their plane at the last WC and Ozil being photographed with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Makes me wonder how strictly other teams police their players and how much it's a factor. Have any of us ever watched Ireland play and gone, "Yeah, they look hungover. That's why they're 1-nil down."?

Correct me if I'm wrong, prior to the game in Gelsenkirchen, were a few of the German team not photographed a little merry at Oktoberfest?
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:13pm
They could get as pissed as they liked after the Austria game as their season was finally over, it is probably the one time you couldn't call a player unprofessional for drinking!
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:14pm

The thing with Kerr was the team seemed to show no spirit at all. Very flat performances. Eg. Switzerland away 2003, home 2005, France 2005...

Now the players were definitely at fault too.  I heard they hated the team meetings and didnt bother watching the DVDs Kerr gave them to watch on the opposition and wanted the party days back. It was too serious for them.  I find that pathetic for professionals tbh.

That's why they were initially pleased when Stan got the job and brought back the ''feel good factor'' (ha!) as it was called at the time. He brought back Tony Hickey and they all hopped on him when we beat Sweden 3-0. Stan was going to bring back the ways of Jack.

Despite what Dunphy says on RTE I find the Irish players unprofessional.  Ok they usually give their all (most of the time) but there is definitely a culture of liking to come over for interntional duty and having a piss up. They don't like being professional. They were in coppers after the Austria match.  I see them in there after nearly every match.  That's a joke tbh.

I suppose Kerr had Keane, Duff, Given, Dunne at their very best form. Duff was at Chelsea, Dunne player of the year at City, Given in top form, Keane banging them in at Spurs.  They were all very mediocre when they played for Eire under Kerr.

Confused

The club season is over and all players were on their holidays once the Austria game finished. Whats wrong with going out?
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:29am
I said they are in there after most home games. You also had players sneaking out to drink and putting it in teapots.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I have a lot of time for Kerr and he is one of the few pundits I will pay close attention to. I remember going to UCD games as a nipper and you'd see him most times. The chap just loves football.

His Ireland tenure isn't remembered too fondly but I think he was very unlucky to be fair. As pointed out above he nearly rescued the 2004 Euro qualifying campaign after inheriting a start that should have meant game off. That last game at home to the Swiss was desperately disappointing but he nearly completed a fine turnaround.

The 2006 campaign was really where you saw how unlucky he was as Ireland manager however. We were the best team in the group without question - however clinching defeat from the jaws of victory on both occasions against Israel f*cked us. And then three of France's best players coming out of retirement to give them that killer edge in the 1-0 win over us. He'll probably be most remembered for displaying uber conservatism in the home game against Israel for bringing on Graeme Kavanagh for the injured Keane when we were 2-0 up but even with that he was so unlucky that the team folded in the manner it did.
the final game for 2004 was away to Switzerland in awinner takes all game for straight qualification iirc

The final game for 2006 was a home draw which would have brought a play off place with a win
we were f**king horrendous that night in Basle,great trip though
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 3:12pm
I have often wondered what would have happened under Kerr, had he been kept in the post, and he had been given the opportunity to mould a team in the post 2005 era, when may of the World Cup 2002 brigade were stepping aside, and had the likes of Joey O'Brien and Stephen Reid not been injured, and had Stephen Ireland stayed with the Irish setup. What is often forgotten in the haze of the Staunton era is that we did have a clatter of very good players available to us, and some more developed during the course of that campaign. O'Brien, Ireland, McGeady, Long, Doyle and Hunt spring to mind, while the likes of Stephen Kelly and Alan Quinn had potential. Along with a spine of Given, Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff and Keane, we should have been able to make a real challenge for a place at Euro 08, rather than pick up the pieces after a 5-2 defeat in Cyprus, or nearly drawing with San Marino.

Kerr may well have benefitted from moulding the post McCarthy Irish team, as he would have known the players well, and was a very seasoned manager. The problem remained that decisions he made during the WC qualifying campaign were very easy to pinpoint.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 4:48pm
Whatever about the other players, Stephen Ireland would have never played for Kerr
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Whatever about the other players, Stephen Ireland would have never played for Kerr

Cork player in being an arse shocker!

Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:13pm

I said they are in there after most home games. You also had players sneaking out to drink and putting it in teapots.

Would there be a problem if it was after the Germany game? They're normal lads as well at the end of the day. As long as its not 72 hours before a game, its not a massive issue IMO. 
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Would there be a problem if it was after the Germany game? They're normal lads as well at the end of the day. As long as its not 72 hours before a game, its not a massive issue IMO. 

There's an awful immaturity among footballers. Why do they have to go to Coppers after every game?

Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:23pm

There's an awful immaturity among footballers. Why do they have to go to Coppers after every game?

Same reason you're in Coppers after every game I'd imagine

Gary Speed 1969-2011

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:29pm

Roy Keane used to drink fairly heavy at United in the earlier days by his own admission, lads like Blanc, Zidane, Pirlo, Berbatov all smoked cigarettes. When moyes got sacked by United, the sticking point immediately after was that the players wanted chips back on the menu. these are premier league winners, world cup winners, champions league winners in a lot of cases. And they show the same attitude our players do. Going on the piss relatively frequently (I'm sure they rarely ever drink, as professional footballers, compared to say you or I) might not be something we want to see from them, but I wouldn't see it as a defining characteristic of their attitude in any way.

Our approach to matches might have been questionable recently, but nobody can doubt that we have an extremely fit side that has been finding something extra in the dying minutes of games quite often. Whatever they're up to for extra curricular activity isn't impacting on their fitness or their attitude.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 24 Jun 2017 at 5:31pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 6:47pm

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 7:43pm

what is it any concern of anyone's what they do in their spare time?

As long as they arent drinking in Coppers the nught before world cup qualifiers they could be in there every night for all anyone should care
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Roy Keane used to drink fairly heavy at United in the earlier days by his own admission, lads like Blanc, Zidane, Pirlo, Berbatov all smoked cigarettes. When moyes got sacked by United, the sticking point immediately after was that the players wanted chips back on the menu. these are premier league winners, world cup winners, champions league winners in a lot of cases. And they show the same attitude our players do. Going on the piss relatively frequently (I'm sure they rarely ever drink, as professional footballers, compared to say you or I) might not be something we want to see from them, but I wouldn't see it as a defining characteristic of their attitude in any way.

Our approach to matches might have been questionable recently, but nobody can doubt that we have an extremely fit side that has been finding something extra in the dying minutes of games quite often. Whatever they're up to for extra curricular activity isn't impacting on their fitness or their attitude.
I think it is the media influence as much as anything else, that is why people have this impression of footballers as living an abstinent lifestyle. You see the reaction every time some player is seen smoking shisha or the over-the-top headlines when Raheem Sterling had food from Gregg's.Poor Wayne Rooney get it worst of all for having a few pints in the team hotel, it might have been at a wedding or something?
I am sure they are told when they can and can't have a few beers, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it openly in places where they would be known.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 2:54pm
One word 'Israel'.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 8:46am

Did this happen under Trap?
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 2:42pm
BK was on LOI weekly podcast with Johnny McDonnell today. It's a shame that the sound quality was so poor but it was still a good episode and well worth a listen. You can get it on soundcloud if you want to listen back
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
  Share Topic