You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 9:38am
Two games stand out for me when Kerr was in charge. The away game against Israel and Switzerland at home. We scored early against Israel and sat back and let them come at us. As far as I can remember after we scored(which was early in the game) thenext shot we had on target was after they equalised in the dying minutes.
Israel at home was just one of those games, similar to Liechtenstein, where we just couldn't get the goal needed to win the game.
Switzerland was a disaster of a game where a win would have given us a play off spot and yet we played like we didn't want to lose as opposed to going for the win. A borefest of 90 minutes with barely a shot on target the whole game.
As someone once said Kerr was a great friendly manager as we won far more friendly than competitive games when he was manager. 

Edited by reddladd - 13 Mar 2015 at 9:39am
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Sponsored Links

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 11:21am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Israel at home was just one of those games, similar to Liechtenstein, where we just couldn't get the goal needed to win the game.

Nah. We were 2-0 up when Robbie got injured and Kerr replaces him with a defensive midfielder (Kavo) that was our undoing that day...
Had we'd stayed at them we probably would've won this game by a hatful.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 9:21am

Good piece I think the journo has a point when you think of what Brian Kerr achieved at Youth level in the past. I know we had better players then but the FAI should be looking to sort the Youths s

Kerr's absence is a sporting scandal - The Irish Post
www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/kerrs-absence-is-a-sporting-scandal

Edited by Double Maxim - 28 Jun 2015 at 9:26am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 8:54am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 10:29am
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 11:13am
Christ, I love Brian Kerr
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:56am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:44pm
I've great time for Kerr as a pundit and his work at underage levels but I do think it was desperately poor form of him as an ex-Ireland manager to criticize by saying he wouldn't pay to watch Ireland after the Austria performance.

It lacks humility and you'd think Ireland managers wouldn't stick the knife in on each other especially when Kerr himself wasn't a success. He was very negative in his approach.

It smells of bitterness and he should take a leaf out of O'Neill's book who praised Trappatoni when asked by journalists over the improved atmosphere long players since Trap left.

Obviously Kerr's entitled to his opinion but you'd think there'd be a bit of empathy for O'Neill.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 10:57pm
I would have no complaints over what he said after that performance against Austria. Its his opinion as you say, and I don't see why he cant call it up for what it was and give his genuine view on it. He's not obliged to be nice to O Neill and you can bet he wasn't the only one thinking that after seeing that muck.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:02am
Ive mixed feelings for Kerr, was a big fan of him until I met him... Such an arrogant man and still bitter about the how he was treated as senior manager.

From a football point of view, I agree with 99% what he has to say. Theres no doubt he knows his ball inside out, great dept of knowledge of the game.. the dogs on the street know it..

But its comments like I wouldn't pay to see Ireland after the Austria game and when I met him he was saying to our group he was only there for the pay day.. couldn't give a fiddlers about the ball or team that annoyed me.
pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:13am
iv never understood this guy's popularity...people must have very short memories..he did a very bad job with some great players at his disposale
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:00am
Isnt his win percentage the highest after Jack? He was unlucky at times in some games during the 2006 WC qualifiers but his teams played awful football at a time when we had some decent players.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 5:59am
Completely agree with Kerr. He gave credit where it was due (Italy and France games at the Euros) when we played good ball and offered criticism for when we've been poor. His job is to call it as he sees it, not to be a fan boy to the current regime and I say that as a supporter of MON.

I've met him plenty of times and found him to be sound. He's not fake and won't lay on the false charm but he always been keen for a chat about football especially LOI
El Puto Amo
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 6:07am
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Ive mixed feelings for Kerr, was a big fan of him until I met him... Such an arrogant man and still bitter about the how he was treated as senior manager.

From a football point of view, I agree with 99% what he has to say. Theres no doubt he knows his ball inside out, great dept of knowledge of the game.. the dogs on the street know it..

But its comments like I wouldn't pay to see Ireland after the Austria game and when I met him he was saying to our group he was only there for the pay day.. couldn't give a fiddlers about the ball or team that annoyed me.

Well him saying that he was only there for the pay day is very much the problem with the FAI and click that it is . BK's problem is he isn't in the click and is on the outside now looking in
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 7:38am
Know him well always comes across as a decent bloke.
He is just saying it as he sees it and you can't fault the man for his opinion.
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:09am
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

That'd be the complete opposite of how I have found him to be any time I have met him. I've met him a number of times and he's always been very approachable and more than willing to talk football - especially, as MC Hammered mentioned, LOI.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:23am
I've always been a big fan of Kerr. I thought he was 100 % correct in his assessment of the Austria game. Just because he had a few shortcomings as Ireland manager doesn't mean he can't criticise the current regime. 

He made an awful decision bringing on Graham Kavanagh for Robbie Keane when we were 2-0 up against Israel which cost us. We also went too defensive against Israel away when holding on to a 1 goal lead. We really should have qualified for 2006.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:24am
Originally posted by pepper67 pepper67 wrote:

iv never understood this guy's popularity...people must have very short memories..he did a very bad job with some great players at his disposale

Would these be the same 'great' players that lost the first two matches of the Euro 2004 qualifiers under Mick and then went on to have a calamitous Euro 2008 qualifying campaign under Stan? LOL

Kerr's team did okay to take the 2004 campaign to the last game of the qualifiers having lost the first two matches when Mick was in charge.

The 2006 campaign saw an incredibly tight group where the four main competing nations (ourselves, Israel, France and Switzerland) drew all of the matches against each other with the exception of our 1-0 home loss to France when Henry produced a bit of brilliance to win it.

The low point was definitely the two Israel games where we failed to hold on to a lead in both fixtures. To say, however, that he did a ''very bad job'' with a team of alleged world beaters is just f*cking laughable. He was pretty conservative in his approach and did a passable job but definitely fell short of the hopes and expectations that many of us had for him when he was appointed.

Edited by tony grealish - 23 Jun 2017 at 8:25am
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic