FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 9:38am
Two games stand out for me when Kerr was in charge. The away game against Israel and Switzerland at home. We scored early against Israel and sat back and let them come at us. As far as I can remember after we scored(which was early in the game) thenext shot we had on target was after they equalised in the dying minutes.
Israel at home was just one of those games, similar to Liechtenstein, where we just couldn't get the goal needed to win the game.
Switzerland was a disaster of a game where a win would have given us a play off spot and yet we played like we didn't want to lose as opposed to going for the win. A borefest of 90 minutes with barely a shot on target the whole game.
As someone once said Kerr was a great friendly manager as we won far more friendly than competitive games when he was manager. 

Edited by reddladd - 13 Mar 2015 at 9:39am
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 9:12am
Bitter, bitter man.
Loves his gargle and loves his fluff.

Shambles of a manager for Ireland when you look at the quality he had at his disposal.
Given his knowledge, experience and dedicated to Irish football, the bigger shambles is him not being involved in Irish football.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 8:26am
[QUOTE=Denis Irwin]Yep even a win in one of them would have put us in the playoffs. Was a Very tight group

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)[/QUOTE]

Yeah and on another day could so easily have won both. Last minute equalisier out of nowhere in Israel and then a scandalous display cheating by their keeper in the home leg. Replacing Robbie with Graham Kavanagh in the home match probably wasn't the wisest move, but he got incredibly unlucky in fairness.

He was shafted by Delaney either way - definitely earned another go at qualification, especially considering who came in after him. Ouch

As for punditry, was easily the best co-commentator in the WC.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 8:21am
One of the true greats
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Why has no loi club offered him a job in the last few years. Is it down to his wages he would want?

With the Faroe Islands he was believed to be on around €200,000 a year.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by winner alright winner alright wrote:

He can talk a good game but that was all.
100% WUM.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:01am
I'd imagine he probably sees the Loi as something he's done.crediable manager in fairness...alright not pleasing on the eye style wise but should of got longer in charge and even more so when you think of the cabbage that followed him.think I'm right in saying he has the highest win percentage of any ireland manager,plus he did an unbelievable job with the Faroes...good laugh as a pundit to.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:56pm
Why has no loi club offered him a job in the last few years. Is it down to his wages he would want?
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:39pm
Great man. Lives breathes football. Scandalous that he is not involved at some level.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

winner alright View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winner alright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:29pm
France at home, the lack of tactics & spirit against Switzerland.  Hoofball up to Doherty was the only clear tactic he had.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:29pm
Yep even a win in one of them would have put us in the playoffs. Was a Very tight group

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:27pm
Would have topped the group IIRC
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:11pm
Kerrs record actually is very good if you look back on it. He was way to conservative which let him down. The 2 games against Isreal ultimately killed him. Could have been so different if we won those games
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by winner alright winner alright wrote:

All??? hardly
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:08pm
When you think the FAI sacked him and JD promised us a world class manager and we got Stan instead   

winner alright View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winner alright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:05pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:03pm
Good at analysing games but he just didnt have the reputation or respect from the players to be successful in international management.

His style of play was not easy on the eye though
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 10:59pm
Great pundit. Was top notch during the WC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
  Share Topic