You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 81>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I genuinely don't get Kenny's obsession with McCarthy. He's a sitting midfielder, who's brilliant on his day (which are rarer than fook). Kenny goes on about James taking the ball off the back four and starting attacks from there. This is never something I've seen McCarthy do. Nor do I think he can. McCarthy has always lacked the personality (as Trap would say) to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. 

Having watched Cullen for Anderlecht, he's exactly what we need. A sitting midfielder who's not just about stopping the opposition. 

All that aside, does James warrant a place in starting 11 based on the last 6 months? He's had his personal issues in that time, but I'm still not seeing what Kenny is.

When Kenny described McCarthy as our best passer of the ball, I was pretty flummoxed too honestly. I’ve been watching closely for the last 8 years and he is an outstanding DM on his day but in no
way a distributor - never mind a playmaker.

Thinking about it, I think Kenny was trying to motivate McCarthy and get him in a positive state of mind. He’s just never going to be that player, although I still think he is our best DM. I’d want to see Cullen there too
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

When we factor in an amalgamation of ...... form/pragmatic selection/is there any other real option... what realistic team is/can Kenny put out next month?

As things stand, I'd go with....

Kelleher
Coleman  Egan O'Shea Stevens
Cullen
Hourihane Knight
Brady ?????? Connolly

Genuinely have no idea who I'd put up front. Idah has been pretty much 1st choice, but surely he can't be realistic choice come next month. Maybe Connolly up top and McClean in his place.

The front 3 options are all up for grabs in my mind. If Parrott scored a half dozen in next 6 weeks, I'd say Kenny would stick him up top.

Randolph may hold on in goal.
Clark if fit at centre back.
McCarthy probably ahead of Cullen.
Molumby maybe in midfield.
Robinson deserves a chance up front.

This is very much a team in transition and it was always going to be this way in this campaign. Probably as weak a squad as we have had since the mid 80s but definitely more hope for the future, but it was always unrealistic to expect the change to come in time for this campaign.

The good news is that the squad will almost certainly look a lot stronger two years from now. Patience required from the supporters.

Weakest since mid 80s? Mid 80s we had an ace team on paper at least. 

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:31pm
Cullen's lack of starts in the autumn despite all the call offs and injuries suggests to me that Kenny isn't a huge fan of him for whatever reason. It probably doesn't help that he wasn't part of any of his under 21 squads.

Personally I think he should have been given more of a chance than he has been. But, as he wasn't, I think it's unlikely that he will be thrown in against Serbia.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Cullen's lack of starts in the autumn despite all the call offs and injuries suggests to me that Kenny isn't a huge fan of him for whatever reason. It probably doesn't help that he wasn't part of any of his under 21 squads.

Personally I think he should have been given more of a chance than he has been. But, as he wasn't, I think it's unlikely that he will be thrown in against Serbia.

He's 25 in April and already captaining Anderlecht a few months after joining them. The idea that playing against Serbia is seen as throwing a player in is nuts. I loved that Kenny made it very vocal that there would be no fear when it comes to his team selections. In that case, don't pick Josh cause you don't like him, not cause you think he'll sh!t his pants. Give the player some credit. 

We inflate the standard of international football way beyond what it deserves. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:51pm
I haven't seen any of the anderlect games where Cullen played but agree that he's gone into that team and hit the ground running and even captained the team is impressive.

If he can get a few more good games before the ireland games I really cant think as to why we wouldn't select him.

There is no midfield or forward position where you would think a player is irreplaceable at the moment.

Edited by Left foot - 06 Feb 2021 at 6:52pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:55pm

We inflate the standard of international football way beyond what it deserves. 

For sure.
An analysis of most of our opponents at International level will find them playing at levels similar to Cullen's.
But McCarthy is (or was when fit and available) a regular PL midfielder, something we don't have many of so dropping him for Cullen seems a step too far for SK.  And understandable.  Be more interesting to see who SK would play when McCarthy is unavailable.

The March squad will be curious and with so few players playing like they can cement their spot in the team, debate and opinions will continue, likely changing weekly as a player plays well somewhere and another doesn't.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

There is no midfield or forward position where you would think a player is irreplaceable at the moment.

I'd go as far as to say there's not one single player in the Irish set up who can consider themselves undroppable. Not one player that deserve the tag of "first name on the team sheet".

And given that's the case, it's a pretty sad indictment of we're at and the form/standard the players are currently playing to.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 7:05pm

I'd go as far as to say there's not one single player in the Irish set up who can consider themselves undroppable. Not one player that deserve the tag of "first name on the team sheet".

And given that's the case, it's a pretty sad indictment of we're at and the form/standard the players are currently playing to.

Speaking of which... Coleman on the bench for the second game in a row. Even before that he's been in and out of the team.

This might get worse before it gets better 
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 7:37pm
Delighted for Conor that his loan spell is going so well and I will cheer all our lads whatever club they play for and I will cheer them to the rafters when in green...but I said it before he doesn’t do enough to be starting for Ireland 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 7:52pm

Speaking of which... Coleman on the bench for the second game in a row. Even before that he's been in and out of the team.

This might get worse before it gets better 

You really are the life and soul of the party. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 8:02pm

I would largely agree with that. It's a clear sign that we're in transition as much as anything though, I'd rather have the younger lads there putting pressure on and creating that situation, rather than not have them there, as was the case in the last campaign - if that makes sense.

But the current situation is that a lot of our previous regulars - Duffy, Hendrick, Hourihane, McClean etc. just aren't good enough anymore while a lot of the younger lads aren't yet quite ready to step in and be a clear improvement. So we're just going to have to live with that for the next year at least. 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Why is it Conor and Knight.   Do you know him.  Bias ? 

It's like the people who say mick was great and Kenny is terrible 

You really don't think Kenny's been terrible so far? A single goal from a set-piece and no goals from open play from 8...

Mick got us to a World Cup Finals.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 06 Feb 2021 at 10:28pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 11:05pm

When we factor in an amalgamation of ...... form/pragmatic selection/is there any other real option... what realistic team is/can Kenny put out next month?

Kelleher

Cullen
Hourihane Knight

Brady ?????? Connolly

Genuinely have no idea who I'd put up front. Idah has been pretty much 1st choice, but surely he can't be realistic choice come next month. Maybe Connolly up top and McClean in his place.

The front 3 options are all up for grabs in my mind. If Parrott scored a half dozen in next 6 weeks, I'd say Kenny would stick him up top.

When the playoff got kicked out from this time last year to October I was delighted i said to myself This is a good thing the young lads will be after improving and if we mange to get over the playoffs we would be in better place come the euros in 2021 but what has transpired is if anything we are now worse if anything than this time last year if I was picking a team now this is what it would be

Randolph 
Coleman     Egan    Clark      Stevens
                   McCarthy
   Hendrick.                     Hourihane 

Robinson.    Long.      Connolly
Randolph hasn’t done anything wrong to be dropped and was key for us in games Kelleher will just have to wait unless he gets 4 or 5 more games between now and March then his case becomes stronger 
I could be sold on o Shea at centre back 
And would have no hassle in having Molumby instead of Hourihane or Hendrick.
I haven’t seen enough of Cullen to put him if he is the real deal then of course he has to be considered 
Up top with the exception of Connolly any of them could drop out if we could find a player who could score 

I like Idah but just needs to play more games 

Long is a short term solution 
Brady is very hit a miss
Robinson has yet to get going for us
Hogan and Collins are scoring the most for their clubs but I really feel they aren’t good enough but maybe I’m wrong they would do against the weaker teams and maybe even Serbia if the rest of the team was performing .
Then you have scully,Curtis and the boy at Oxford all doing well but a league 1
The white hope is Parrot his time at Millwall was poor but from what is being said he did well for Ipswich today but still it’s league 1
All these boys in league 1 are at Very best a season away from contributing.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

You really don't think Kenny's been terrible so far? A single goal from a set-piece and no goals from open play from 8...

Mick got us to a World Cup finals....on his 3rd qualifying campaign.

Kenny's had 8 games. 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Kelleher

Cullen
Hourihane Knight

Brady ?????? Connolly

When the playoff got kicked out from this time last year to October I was delighted i said to myself This is a good thing the young lads will be after improving and if we mange to get over the playoffs we would be in better place come the euros in 2021 but what has transpired is if anything we are now worse if anything than this time last year if I was picking a team now this is what it would be

Randolph 
Coleman     Egan    Clark      Stevens
                   McCarthy
   Hendrick.                     Hourihane 

Robinson.    Long.      Connolly
Randolph hasn’t done anything wrong to be dropped and was key for us in games Kelleher will just have to wait unless he gets 4 or 5 more games between now and March then his case becomes stronger 
I could be sold on o Shea at centre back 
And would have no hassle in having Molumby instead of Hourihane or Hendrick.
I haven’t seen enough of Cullen to put him if he is the real deal then of course he has to be considered 
Up top with the exception of Connolly any of them could drop out if we could find a player who could score 

I like Idah but just needs to play more games 

Long is a short term solution 
Brady is very hit a miss
Robinson has yet to get going for us
Hogan and Collins are scoring the most for their clubs but I really feel they aren’t good enough but maybe I’m wrong they would do against the weaker teams and maybe even Serbia if the rest of the team was performing .
Then you have scully,Curtis and the boy at Oxford all doing well but a league 1
The white hope is Parrot his time at Millwall was poor but from what is being said he did well for Ipswich today but still it’s league 1
All these boys in league 1 are at Very best a season away from contributing.

I'd agree with a lot of that. I think Cullen and Knight's form puts them in the frame. We're greatly in need of some additional energy and impetus in midfield. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:18am

Kenny's had 8 games. 

I'm not saying we should sack Kenny just yet or anything like that, but it has been terrible so far.

Obviously there have been some mitigating factors but we are on our worst run of results in modern history, and we can't score for toffee, there's no getting around that.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:32am

Kenny's had 8 games. 

I'm not saying we should sack Kenny just yet or anything like that, but it has been terrible so far.

Obviously there have been some mitigating factors but we are on our worst run of results in modern history, and we can't score for toffee, there's no getting around that.

Do people think if we get a new manager in our strikers who can’t score for their clubs will start scoring at international level? 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 9:07am
The point I was making and I think you failed to see is that when people start calling one person by their first name and the other by their surname it nearly always works out that they are defending the former and criticising the latter and the bias is obvious. 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 81>
  Share Topic