You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 81>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Fruice, your argument based on goals and assists is far too simplistic. There's a reason why Hourihane's record at club level is decent but he rarely contributes at international level. We need more drive in midfield to allow our attacking players to have chances in the first place, he doesn't provide any. Now that might mean dropping Hendrick rather than Hourihane, but either way it's not as simple as Hourihane gets goals and assists at club level so is an automatic starter as you're suggesting.
Of course to a certain degree it’s simplistic he was playing at better team with villa than he is with Ireland.
And hourihane lacks things but sadly so do all our options all over the team at the moment.
But on the other hand we have very little in the squad contributing with goals or assists.
And has been seen this is having a huge impact on the national team.
All I’m saying is that when you have player capable helping out in this regard he needs to be in the team more often than not.

Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:00pm
If even one of our strikers could go on a run between now and Serbia. Really disheartening how optimistic things looked up front 12 months ago and the potential that was there. Still find it amazing that none can hit a barn door it appears. Reality check indeed. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

If even one of our strikers could go on a run between now and Serbia. Really disheartening how optimistic things looked up front 12 months ago and the potential that was there. Still find it amazing that none can hit a barn door it appears. Reality check indeed. 

2 year transition period Banjaxed.

Still some positives with Cullen, knight, Collins, oshea and Kelleher.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

2 year transition period Banjaxed.

Still some positives with Cullen, knight, Collins, oshea and Kelleher.

I have the patience to give it time and Kenny in general. Wasn't expecting a Robbie Keane to emerge, just surprised how underwhelming Idah, Connolly, Obafemi and Parrott have been as goalscorers. 

With every year that goes by, Robbie Keane's emergence becomes more of a freak of nature within Irish football.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:20pm

This world cup cycle was always likely to come too soon for this group. We're talking about a bunch of 18-21 year olds, it doesn't happen overnight. The world cup is so hard to qualify for at the moment anyway given our limited resources, this always needed to be seen as a rebuild period. Euro 2024 needs to be seen as the target and anything before then a bonus really.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Fruice, your argument based on goals and assists is far too simplistic. There's a reason why Hourihane's record at club level is decent but he rarely contributes at international level. We need more drive in midfield to allow our attacking players to have chances in the first place, he doesn't provide any. Now that might mean dropping Hendrick rather than Hourihane, but either way it's not as simple as Hourihane gets goals and assists at club level so is an automatic starter as you're suggesting.
Of course to a certain degree it’s simplistic he was playing at better team with villa than he is with Ireland.
And hourihane lacks things but sadly so do all our options all over the team at the moment.
But on the other hand we have very little in the squad contributing with goals or assists.
All I’m saying is that when you have player capable helping out in this regard he needs to be in the team more often than not.

I mean, he has 24 caps, 1 goal, no assists (despite him taking free kicks and corners) and if im being generous luke warm performances so I'm not sure what Fruice is trying to sell here.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Or Gerry....Shocked

Mr Peyton to you :)  
AKA pedantic kunt
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:21pm

Hogan and Collins both scored today if some one like them could go on a run they would have to be included 
It’s a sad state of affairs When we are hoping for a player these guys calibre to fire us to glory.

We really have to hope Kenny is open in his thinking and that he doesn’t get bogged down in a certain system or players.
We need him to be a calm clear figure head and get these players confidence up and that come the autum part of the campaign that sons of our guys had found a bit of form and can help us compete for qualification.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:22pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Why is it Conor and Knight.   Do you know him.  Bias ? 

It's like the people who say mick was great and Kenny is terrible 
Does it matter?

It suggests that you have skin in the game and you have a bias. Added to that your location says Cork gives that idea more credence. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:26pm

Hogan and Collins both scored today if some one like them could go on a run they would have to be included 
It’s a sad state of affairs When we are hoping for a player these guys calibre to fire us to glory.

We really have to hope Kenny is open in his thinking and that he doesn’t get bogged down in a certain system or players.
We need him to be a calm clear figure head and get these players confidence up and that come the autum part of the campaign that sons of our guys had found a bit of form and can help us compete for qualification.

Hogan could score in the next 5 games and then not score again for 5 months. He's some man for the purple patches. Consistency has been a killer for his career momentum. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:29pm

I mean, he has 24 caps, 1 goal, no assists (despite him taking free kicks and corners) and if im being generous luke warm performances so I'm not sure what Fruice is trying to sell here.
What I’m trying to sell is  we are as bad as we have been for years.
We are average at best all over the field don’t look like winning games look like conceding.
I had fierce hope that some of the younger players would have stepped up they haven’t yet.
And I’ll I’m saying is we have a player in form( all be it at championship level)and it’s good to see and he should be in the team at the moment because his rivals aren’t Steppping up.

It’s fairly simple 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:31pm

When you look at the young players too. 

Connolly is still our best option but not finishing chances or games.

Masterson off injured today 

Molumby subbed and team losing

Connolly played well for Brighton. Not a shame getting subbed he’s only back from injury.

Going by Twitter Preston fans are nearly losing their life over Molumby being subbed. Maybe he hadn’t a great game I don’t know. 
Masterson that’s a pity hope it isn’t serious. 

With players aged 18-22 Parrott a case in point there is going to be setbacks/down periods. All part of the learning curve. 

Connolly is not doing too bad at all bar scoring a few more. The miss against Tottenham was such a pity really. 

It’s been dissapointing with the young attackers Idah Obafemi and Parrott. 
Obafemi is having a lot of injuries and that’s worrying. Parrott had a bad loan move at Millwall. Hopefully he can kick on at Ipswich. 

Idah I would cut him a bit more slack the other 3. Don’t think Norwich have handled his development greatly and he really could have got a loan move this year or even last January. He’s getting minutes but it’s only 10 minutes here and there. Pukki and Hugill ahead of him for one position no major shame in that 2 good strikers but why not loan him out then.

Edited by kevin100 - 06 Feb 2021 at 5:36pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:41pm

Why is it Conor and Knight.   Do you know him.  Bias ? 

It's like the people who say mick was great and Kenny is terrible 
Does it matter?

It suggests that you have skin in the game and you have a bias. Added to that your location says Cork gives that idea more credence. 
If anything it’s that conor is quicker to type than hourihane.
Of course I’d prefer if there was more local lads in the team.
But ultimately I couldn’t care if they were from ballybrack or ballydehob.
I just want us to be competitive and I just feel at the moment Hourihane is in better form and more of a threat than knight.
This could all change in 6 months 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:45pm
When we factor in an amalgamation of ...... form/pragmatic selection/is there any other real option... what realistic team is/can Kenny put out next month?

As things stand, I'd go with....

Kelleher

Coleman  Egan O'Shea Stevens

Cullen
Hourihane Knight

Brady ?????? Connolly

Genuinely have no idea who I'd put up front. Idah has been pretty much 1st choice, but surely he can't be realistic choice come next month. Maybe Connolly up top and McClean in his place.

The front 3 options are all up for grabs in my mind. If Parrott scored a half dozen in next 6 weeks, I'd say Kenny would stick him up top.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:58pm
The golden generation Clap
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:09pm

When we factor in an amalgamation of ...... form/pragmatic selection/is there any other real option... what realistic team is/can Kenny put out next month?

Kelleher

Cullen
Hourihane Knight

Brady ?????? Connolly

Genuinely have no idea who I'd put up front. Idah has been pretty much 1st choice, but surely he can't be realistic choice come next month. Maybe Connolly up top and McClean in his place.

The front 3 options are all up for grabs in my mind. If Parrott scored a half dozen in next 6 weeks, I'd say Kenny would stick him up top.

If Long keeps starting for Bournmouth then slot him in Centre-Forward.
Or play Robinson there actually.  Or Connolly, with Robinson wide.

Edited by Fozz - 06 Feb 2021 at 6:09pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:09pm

Kelleher
Cullen
Hourihane Knight
Brady ?????? Connolly

Randolph may hold on in goal.
Clark if fit at centre back.
McCarthy probably ahead of Cullen.
Molumby maybe in midfield.
Robinson deserves a chance up front.

This is very much a team in transition and it was always going to be this way in this campaign. Probably as weak a squad as we have had since the mid 80s but definitely more hope for the future, but it was always unrealistic to expect the change to come in time for this campaign.

The good news is that the squad will almost certainly look a lot stronger two years from now. Patience required from the supporters.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:19pm
I genuinely don't get Kenny's obsession with McCarthy. He's a sitting midfielder, who's brilliant on his day (which are rarer than fook). Kenny goes on about James taking the ball off the back four and starting attacks from there. This is never something I've seen McCarthy do. Nor do I think he can. McCarthy has always lacked the personality (as Trap would say) to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. 

Having watched Cullen for Anderlecht, he's exactly what we need. A sitting midfielder who's not just about stopping the opposition. 

All that aside, does James warrant a place in starting 11 based on the last 6 months? He's had his personal issues in that time, but I'm still not seeing what Kenny is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 81>
  Share Topic