Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 81>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Exactly he is a good squad option for Villa and if he wants I’d suspect he’d be a decent option for a newly promoted team that wants to stay up. Villa wouldn’t have stayed up without his left foot last year. 

Grealish posting about VAR was hilarious and Villa pound for pound the single biggest beneficiary of VARs failings last year in that they would be relegated if it was working properly against Sheffield Utd.

Was that not Goal Line Technology (Hawk Eye) not VAR!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:26pm
Sorry yes my fault. 👀👀👀 

Still though they essentially benefitted so much from the new technology/video assessments we will say brought in and now he’s crying about it on Twitter cause they are on the wrong end.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:25am
Football is a fickle game
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:59am

Sorry yes my fault. 👀👀👀 

Still though they essentially benefitted so much from the new technology/video assessments we will say brought in and now he’s crying about it on Twitter cause they are on the wrong end.
I just looked up to see if he was "crying about it on Twitter" and was disappointed. Do you always use unnecessary hyperbolic language? Are you the return of Coyner from his walk?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Sorry yes my fault. 👀👀👀 

I just looked up to see if he was "crying about it on Twitter" and was disappointed. Do you always use unnecessary hyperbolic language? Are you the return of Coyner from his walk?

“It’s getting borderline embarrassing with some of the decisions. It’s ruining the game”. Directly after a game where they had a decision go against them yes I would regard it as such. 

Now the decision was mental harsh of course but every team has had harsh decisions go with them and against them in the last year and in fairness Villa didn’t cover themselves in glory at times trying to buy fouls at every opportunity throughout the game.

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Dec 2020 at 1:11pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:51pm
Hardly crying though, is it? Nor was it previously 'hilarious' and I'm not even sure what "mental harsh" is. Not everything has to be exaggerated unnecessarily. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 5:16pm
Had Villa taken their chances they would have won the game. Missing simple chances, penalties etc will have you beaten.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 1:59am
why?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 6:20pm
Not really.
U state you believe they won't be game-changers for us but don't state why.

I feel that Connolly and Knight will change up our game.
I don't know about the rest but add Kelleher/Bazunu, O'Shea, Collins and Parrot to that list and we have the spine of a good team already.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Not really.

I don't know about the rest but add Kelleher/Bazunu, O'Shea, Collins and Parrot to that list and we have the spine of a good team already.

I do think Molumby has the potential to be a proper midfielder in time of those on the list mentioned he’s the one I’d strongly disagree with. 

The rest of them you can make an argument either or especially Connolly who has potential but has a touch of Shane along about him. 

Not meant as an insult as Long played PL football for most of his career but put it this way if Long had 15-20 goals a season consistently to his game he’d have potentially played for a Liverpool or a Tottenham with his ability.

If Connolly can had attacking output to his game 20/30 goal contributions a season then he’s a real chance of progressing to a very high level as you have seen how dangerous he is Klopp acknowledged it Saturday even he didn’t do so for the craic. 

Collins Bazunu Kelleher aren’t mentioned by Mr Brick but the first 2 named if you ask me who is our best chance of seeing a player play for one of the top clubs in the England in the next 5/10 years I’d give you Bazunu and Collins. 2 lads with monsterous potential also.

Edited by kevin100 - 03 Dec 2020 at 7:04pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 7:05pm
You'd swear he wasn't integral to them staying up and that he wasn't one of their best players on Monday.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 9:56am
Brick, we can only speculate on their ceilings but bear in mind International football is levels below the PL.
When we play pot 4 and lower teams, their defs won't be PL-level players or anything close and we have struggled to score against even those.
Lets hope these lads can up our levels so we can be more effective even against those teams for a start.

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

I would agree he was important in Villa's promotion year but not to keeping them up last season.

Didn't he hit a purple patch of assists in the run in that was key to them staying up though  ?  Last few games. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

I would agree he was important in Villa's promotion year but not to keeping them up last season.

Didn't he hit a purple patch of assists in the run in that was key to them staying up though  ?  Last few games. 

In the entire season he started less than half their league games. They were looking certainties for relegation until Smith brought him back into the team. Practically the first time he's given a run of games the entire season, he plays superbly and is instrumental in them staying up with goal contributions and general play.

I'm not saying he's the sole reason they stayed up but he more than played his part. And it's difficult for anyone to find form when they're yoyoing in and out of the team. Smith was and is never going to drop Grealish (understandably) or McGinn (less understandably) so it's the nature of the beast. Barkley's injured now and McGinn might miss a few weeks or months here or there so Hourihane's fitness and ability to avoid injuries will stand him in good stead.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 04 Dec 2020 at 2:16pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 2:17pm

Not really.

I do think Molumby has the potential to be a proper midfielder in time of those on the list mentioned he’s the one I’d strongly disagree with. 

The rest of them you can make an argument either or especially Connolly who has potential but has a touch of Shane along about him. 

Not meant as an insult as Long played PL football for most of his career but put it this way if Long had 15-20 goals a season consistently to his game he’d have potentially played for a Liverpool or a Tottenham with his ability.

If Connolly can had attacking output to his game 20/30 goal contributions a season then he’s a real chance of progressing to a very high level as you have seen how dangerous he is Klopp acknowledged it Saturday even he didn’t do so for the craic. 

Collins Bazunu Kelleher aren’t mentioned by Mr Brick but the first 2 named if you ask me who is our best chance of seeing a player play for one of the top clubs in the England in the next 5/10 years I’d give you Bazunu and Collins. 2 lads with monsterous potential also.

I have to disagree there, Long's technically ability was never good enough to ever to play for a top side.

His first touch is often very poor, erratic in front of goal too etc. 

I still really like as a player and has been a great servant for Ireland but in truth, our brand of direct football which often had him out running for the ball in the channels suited his game. The more emphasis put on keeping possession at a slower tempo really doesn't suit the likes of him, McClean etc to name but a few.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Not really.

I have to disagree there, Long's technically ability was never good enough to ever to play for a top side.

His first touch is often very poor, erratic in front of goal too etc. 

I still really like as a player and has been a great servant for Ireland but in truth, our brand of direct football which often had him out running for the ball in the channels suited his game. The more emphasis put on keeping possession at a slower tempo really doesn't suit the likes of him, McClean etc to name but a few.

I can’t argue with anything said there I agree but think back to a few years ago now I was young but I can recall Long carrying quite a bit of hype around him. I never got it myself to be fair always had loads of ability.

He was very erratic in front of goal hence if he was scoring 15-20 goals a season to go with the hype on him who knows where that would have taken him. He was signed for 12m don’t forget even without those goals.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:58am
19 year old Jacob Ramsay gets the nod in midfield ahead of hourihane today. Once Barkley is back I can't see hourihane getting much time in the team between now and March if Ramsay does OK.

Doesnt look good for him at villa.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:13pm
I’d be interested to see could he get a move to a newly promoted team next year. 

He was a major asset to a team like Villa last year who were just trying to survive but Villa have got some proper signings in look like a team that want to push for a midtable finish or higher and Hourihane will suffer for that not good enough to start in a midtable team pushing for top half. 

Kind of sums him up that whole scenario.

Edited by kevin100 - 12 Dec 2020 at 12:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 81>
  Share Topic