You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 81>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:11pm
Going on what I’ve seen of him for Ireland I don’t rate him at all. Hopefully he plays out of his skin in Slovakia.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sponsored Links

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:22pm
I think Conor played a little better than usual today. His defensive game was quite good too for a change. If McCarthy and Hendrick are fit I think Jack Byrne would still offer more in general play for Ireland playing the furthest forward midfield role and has that defence splitting pass in his locker and he’s better on the ball than Hourihane. 
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

I think Conor played a little better than usual today. His defensive game was quite good too for a change. If McCarthy and Hendrick are fit I think Jack Byrne would still offer more in general play for Ireland playing the furthest forward midfield role and has that defence splitting pass in his locker and he’s better on the ball than Hourihane. 

So why is he on the LoI? 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:00pm
Byrne would do well to have a good close look at Conor’s career.

Went to England didn’t work out for him.
Went down the division worked his balls off became a premier league footballer and was a huge part in keeping Villa in the premiership can’t be far off a new contract at Villa and if not another premiership club will pick him up.
And firmly established in the Irish squad.

Byrne will get left behind if he won’t put the hard work in.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Byrne would do well to have a good close look at Conor’s career.

Went to England didn’t work out for him.
Went down the division worked his balls off became a premier league footballer and was a huge part in keeping Villa in the premiership can’t be far off a new contract at Villa and if not another premiership club will pick him up.
And firmly established in the Irish squad.

Byrne will get left behind if he won’t put the hard work in.
Ya I’m aware of all that has went on in Jack Byrnes career but I think he’s matured since he came back to Rovers and it’s a legitimate question to ask why he’s in the LOI now but I still think he’s well capable of been that creative spark that Wes Hoolahan was for us. I’m not sure who else can be that player maybe Conor Ronan if things go well for him . 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:56pm
Hourihane can't control the tempo of the game, cause he doesn't get on the ball nearly enough over the course of a match. He doesn't (can't?) create space in midfield that would allow him constant angles to receive the ball.

Watch Byrne playing. Always moving. He's in a perpetual state of "give me the fooking ball". Always looking to play the positive pass. Always tries to play the least obvious pass. Never passes the buck by putting another teammate under pressure. Look how often he takes the ball under pressure and releases the ball in a more comfortable area for a team mate to receive....and then he's moving again. Give and go. Give and go. Biding his time for the space to change, so he can thread a killer pass.

Having someone like Byrne in a team makes everyone's performance improve. His tempo echos around the team. Happened more often than not when Wes played. It was like a different set of Ireland players when he was involved. 

As a player on the ball, what do you want to see...

A.) a team mate pointing to another player to pass to.
B.) a team mate berating you for not passing to him.

Having said all that, I don't think Byrne will start. I just hope he's not introduced when the horse has already bolted.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:16pm
Is any Irish manager brave enough to put a LOI player in there and say hes my man. Even Kenny who is a LOI man i dont think so. I wish they were. Id love to see him given a chance to start and say go on man show us what ya can do.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Is any Irish manager brave enough to put a LOI player in there and say hes my man. Even Kenny who is a LOI man i dont think so. I wish they were. Id love to see him given a chance to start and say go on man show us what ya can do.

Probably not, but a midfield of McCarthy, Hendrick and a creatively inconsistent Hourihane stinks of too much pussy footing about. Not one of them possess the natural instinct to REALLY WANT to be on the ball. That element of fear they all have about them. None of them will grab a game by the scruff of the neck and make it happen themselves. Always looking to someone else. That's why players tend to up their game when there is in fact that someone else on the pitch.

bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:57pm
Hourihane played ok I thought, not including his goal or assist so add them in and he had a great game.

Lads on here jerking off Jack Byrne need a serious reality check. Hourihane is starting, scoring and assisting goals in the Premier League on a weekly basis. He was instrumental in Villa staying in the league last season. Byrne is an above average League of Ireland player and I don’t care what anybody says, he isn’t the option for senior international football. He played well against a half fit and half bothered Milan team who never got out of second gear. It was a glorified ore season friendly game lads. Byrne looks good for Rovers week in week out because he’s playing against lads that are below his level. The reality is, Byrne wouldn’t get within an asses roar of a Premier League squad and would struggle for game time in the Championship. if he was as good as people are trying to convince themselves he is, he wouldn’t be playing League of Ireland football and that’s the end of it.

Hourihane will start against Slovakia and he deserves to because his performances have been by far the best out of any Irish midfielders so far this season and probably all of last season.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:03am
When was the last time one of our midfielders looked up and threaded a pass through to one of our strikers or wingers and we scored from it? Its hard to think cause it never happens. Would it be Hoolahan against Austria for James to score? Our current midfielders dont do that. We need some creativity or it will be Finland on repeat. Simples.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:08am
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Hourihane played ok I thought, not including his goal or assist so add them in and he had a great game.

Lads on here jerking off Jack Byrne need a serious reality check. Hourihane is starting, scoring and assisting goals in the Premier League on a weekly basis. He was instrumental in Villa staying in the league last season. Byrne is an above average League of Ireland player and I don’t care what anybody says, he isn’t the option for senior international football. He played well against a half fit and half bothered Milan team who never got out of second gear. It was a glorified ore season friendly game lads. Byrne looks good for Rovers week in week out because he’s playing against lads that are below his level. The reality is, Byrne wouldn’t get within an asses roar of a Premier League squad and would struggle for game time in the Championship. if he was as good as people are trying to convince themselves he is, he wouldn’t be playing League of Ireland football and that’s the end of it.

Hourihane will start against Slovakia and he deserves to because his performances have been by far the best out of any Irish midfielders so far this season and probably all of last season.

"Above average LOI player" might be one of the biggest understatements of the century. He's arguably the best player the LOI has seen in the last 15 years, and he's blatently not beneath getting a chance on the international stage.
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:14am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

"Above average LOI player" might be one of the biggest understatements of the century. He's arguably the best player the LOI has seen in the last 15 years, and he's blatently not beneath getting a chance on the international stage.

You cant change the brainwashing of some irish people that if your not in England your a failure. It dosent matter if Byrne was playing in the leinster senior league or a 5 a side pub team, hes quality and has the passing ability beyond any of our current squad. Some people cant comprehend that how could he possibly be better than a player who plays in England. How? HOW?

Edited by doherty - 29 Sep 2020 at 12:14am
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 1:30am

Enjoy LoI myself, but was everyone not jerking off to ritchie towell... Then daryl horgan, then seanie maguire was second coming of Christ, only Maguire has made some sort of an impact in England. Would love byrne to make it but the reality is needs to move to England or another European league to be in the running.
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:56am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

You cant change the brainwashing of some irish people that if your not in England your a failure. It dosent matter if Byrne was playing in the leinster senior league or a 5 a side pub team, hes quality and has the passing ability beyond any of our current squad. Some people cant comprehend that how could he possibly be better than a player who plays in England. How? HOW?

Byrne has definitely improved for playing regularly but there’s a reason he’s standing out. Look at Daryl Horgan, in my opinion him and Maguire were the two best players to come out of League of Ireland in the last 10 or 15 years, but Horgan hasn’t done as well as people thought he would.

Before those two, Daryl Murphy was the best player I had seen at League of Ireland level. When he was playing for Waterford United he was a half yard quicker than any other player and that gave him his opportunities and he stood out. When he went to Sunderland he was a half yard slower than everyone else. That’s what the step up is like. I went to school with Daryl and often met him in town when he was home and I remember him talking about the gulf in class. 

Byrne can’t coast along in the LOI. Let him go to England, if he’s good enough of course, and we’ll see how good he is.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:05am

Hendrick and Arter would boss the LoI. Would mean nought as it's a lower level.

Wes is playing at a higher level than Jack. Would any of ye still have Wes in there?

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:57am
Byrne undoubtedly has a great technical ability but he is playing in one of the weaker leagues in Europe 

He is 24 years of age he needs to decided is he happy to be a big fish in a small pond or does he want to get on and put in the hard work and get out of the LOI.

People saying he has matured and this could be the difference between him making a go of it at higher level this time rather than ending up back in LOI after not making the grade at other clubs previously.

His time to shine is running out as we have a brilliant crop of young lads coming behind him who will push him aside if he can’t push on.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:03am
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Hendrick and Arter would boss the LoI. Would mean nought as it's a lower level.

Wes is playing at a higher level than Jack. Would any of ye still have Wes in there?

You're a brave men mentioning Wes without implying that he was better than Liam Brady.LOL
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:07am
I would have Byrne in the squad but I do think that some people not recognise that time space is huge in football esp if you are a creative player.   The Lower the level you are the more time and space you get and you can look better etc. Depsite all of that Byrne does deserve a place in the squad as he didn't look out of place against Milan or against Bulgaria when he played under Mick.   

AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 81>
  Share Topic