You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 81>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sipod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:09pm
Hendrick & Hourihane are the obvious choices for no 10 role however i'd like to see Ronan / Manning get a look in 
Block 114
First Game : v Greece April 2000
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:12pm
Hendrick has been enough of a bystander (bar one moment against Wales) during the last campaign to give Hourihane a chance in that role. He needs to take his opportunities during the friendlies though if he gets them.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:16pm
Technically, Hourihane is a good footballer. He badly lacks pace though which would worry me a bit when he steps up a level. I wouldn't see him as a replacement for Wes at 10, he lacks the agility and speed off the mark. He's best as part of a midfield 2/3.

Edited by The O'Shea - 11 Feb 2018 at 2:16pm
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:19pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?a=&feature=youtu.be&v=-PKgHJV5few

Lovely strike. He’s a waif, but he can hit them. Would rather him as a 10 than Hendrick
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Lovely strike. He’s a waif, but he can hit them. Would rather him as a 10 than Hendrick
a waif?
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:24pm
8 league goals from midfield this season now.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

a waif?

Wrong word. He’s slight, thin ...
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:05pm
How do we accommodate a player like Hourihane with the players available to us?

We'll always go for safety first I suppose, but which of our midfielders would compliment him best?

What would people think of trying out Hourihane in a midfield three of Hourihane - Meyler - Arter? 

With Robbie Brady playing in his natural position of left wing, one of Hogan / Long / Maguire up front, and perhaps Callum O'Dowda on the right, we'd have a fairly pacey and combative front-six, that also seems defensively sound. (At least on paper).  

dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:08pm
I'd have him advanced of a 3 with Hendick and Arter/McCarthy behind .
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:10pm
Hourihane should have done enough to play himself into contention for starting the March friendlies, with a view to expanding his role in future competitive games.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

I'd have him advanced of a 3 with Hendick and Arter/McCarthy behind .

I wanted to include James McCarthy, but god knows when we'll see him back in Green.

I'm not sure if Hendrick can be trusted in a more defensive role either, he's doing very little for Burnley these days.  
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Technically, Hourihane is a good footballer. He badly lacks pace though which would worry me a bit when he steps up a level. I wouldn't see him as a replacement for Wes at 10, he lacks the agility and speed off the mark. He's best as part of a midfield 2/3.
As opposed to Wes’s blistering pace
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:36pm
Burnley fans have been impressed with Hendrick since he dropped back into midfield for last few games . That's his natural position imo.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

This is a fair point

Do think for the sake of getting the best out of everybody and not 1 player Hendrick should be a #10 and Conor a #8.
It doesnt work the other way round unfortunately we’ve just had a full campaign of Jeff as an #8 and playing players out of position is part of the reason we didn’t qualify!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:45pm

Wes had great balance, agility, and was quick off the mark; Hourihance has none of those those traits. I'm not talking about being a Ronaldo-esque flyer over 100 metres; in the 10 position its more important to be quick and nimble in tight spaces, and Wes had that, Hourihane doesn't really.
We're decent enough..
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

This is a fair point

Do think for the sake of getting the best out of everybody and not 1 player Hendrick should be a #10 and Conor a #8.
It doesnt work the other way round unfortunately we’ve just had a full campaign of Jeff as an #8 and playing players out of position is part of the reason we didn’t qualify!

Hendrick is not a creator, unfortunately. His physical qualities far outweigh his technical ones.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:58pm

This is a fair point

Hendrick is not a creator, unfortunately. His physical qualities far outweigh his technical ones.

It doesn't matter what he is, last campaign speaks volumes. He spent every game except 1 out of position and was very poor in all of them, the 1 game he played as a #10 he assisted McClean's goal against Wales. 

It pretty much ends the argument where hes best at.

Edited by coyne - 11 Feb 2018 at 4:00pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 4:02pm

This is a fair point

I don’t think that Hendrick should be anywhere near our team at the moment.

He doesn’t do enough in any one position to warrant his squad place, be it at 8, or 10.

Similar could be said of Robbie Brady, but he needs to be played on the left wing, in place of James McClean. Brady’s poor form is entirely down to MON playing him out of posistion.

Hendrick’s poor form is down to him being a player who doesn’t know what his best posistion is. When he figures that out, then maybe he’ll start performing for Ireland again.

Perhaps we don’t need to replace Hoolahan as a number 10. By switching to a 4-3-3, Hourihane can get forward and can create goals and assists in his own way, he doesn’t need to emulate Hoolahan’s playing style, but if he can keep the ball, and chip in with a few goals and assists, then we’ll be on to something.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 81>
  Share Topic