You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 81>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

As usual when it comes to Hourihane (and Hendrick) when you challenge anyone as to what they bring to the team, the response is something vague about experience and playing in the premier League. 

I too am not concerned by his injury, but I'm more than willing to have my mind changed.

What will we be potentially missing with him not in Belgrade?

I think a lot of us have rose tinted glasses about the other midfielders. A lot of them are young and haven’t had a proper opportunity yet but remember when everyone was raving about Molumby not playing before the nations league games. He didn’t exactly light the place up when he got his chance. He’s only young though so he has lots of time and I’m not trying to overly critical. The point of this post is that the criticism of Hendricks and Hourihane may be warranted but who’s to the say that Cullen’ knight etc will improve things. I think it would be risky for Kenny to drop both Hendrick and Hourihane and play a whole new midfield in Serbia. It’s likely Hourihane is out so Hendrick will almost certainly start. I would love nothing more to be proven wrong and a midfield of Cullen and knight runs the show on Wednesday 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hotlips - Hourhane has not been good for Villa. Can you please explain why they didn't play him for weeks and weeks this season and then agreed to let him drop down a league? 

Are you saying he was great for villa to keep them up and then he was so bad the next season that they didn't even see him as a squad player and let him go? 

What are you attributing to this massive dip in form? 
That’s wrong smith has coming out and said he didn’t want to be a sub there is a difference 

He wasn't very likely going to say he's surplus to requirements and we're happy to be shot of him, is he?
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:43pm

Hotlips - Hourhane has not been good for Villa. Can you please explain why they didn't play him for weeks and weeks this season and then agreed to let him drop down a league? 

Are you saying he was great for villa to keep them up and then he was so bad the next season that they didn't even see him as a squad player and let him go? 

What are you attributing to this massive dip in form? 
That’s wrong smith has coming out and said he didn’t want to be a sub there is a difference 

He wasn't very likely going to say he's surplus to requirements and we're happy to be shot of him, is he?
Hourihane said the same thing himself but you know better 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

As usual when it comes to Hourihane (and Hendrick) when you challenge anyone as to what they bring to the team, the response is something vague about experience and playing in the premier League. 

I too am not concerned by his injury, but I'm more than willing to have my mind changed.

What will we be potentially missing with him not in Belgrade?

I think a lot of us have rose tinted glasses about the other midfielders. A lot of them are young and haven’t had a proper opportunity yet but remember when everyone was raving about Molumby not playing before the nations league games. He didn’t exactly light the place up when he got his chance. He’s only young though so he has lots of time and I’m not trying to overly critical. The point of this post is that the criticism of Hendricks and Hourihane may be warranted but who’s to the say that Cullen’ knight etc will improve things. I think it would be risky for Kenny to drop both Hendrick and Hourihane and play a whole new midfield in Serbia. It’s likely Hourihane is out so Hendrick will almost certainly start. I would love nothing more to be proven wrong and a midfield of Cullen and knight runs the show on Wednesday 

I'm not proposing that certain other midfielders are going to be the solution. I'm proposing that it's fairly evident from a string of matches that the likes of Hourihane and Hendrick most definitely are not the solution.

Will Cullen, Knight, Molumby, Browne be the answer? Let's give it a whirl.

The way people go on, you'd swear the current midfield was actually any use. I genuinely don't get what people are afraid of. What's the worst that can happen? We'll continue not to win? We'll continue not to score goals?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:57pm
By the time Hourihane left Villa they were bringing a 19 year old kid off the bench ahead of him. They're never going to say anything negative about him publicly but their actions showed that he wasn't rated at all this season.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

By the time Hourihane left Villa they were bringing a 19 year old kid off the bench ahead of him. They're never going to say anything negative about him publicly but their actions showed that he wasn't rated at all this season.
That 19 year old has started ahead of an England International and a 14 million January signing since Hourihane left so that says more about Ramsey than Hourihane.
One fact is Villa have looked a lot worse from
Wide areas and set pieces since Hourihane left.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:09pm

That 19 year old has started ahead of an England International and a 14 million January signing since Hourihane left so that says more about Ramsey than Hourihane.

I may be true that they are worse from set pieces and wide areas but are better in countless other ways. More energy and pace in the midfield, better at building from the back and harder to breakdown in midfield for a start. 

If Hourihane was still at Villa they would probably be fighting relegation. They've improved their team replacing him.

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:21pm

I may be true that they are worse from set pieces and wide areas but are better in countless other ways. More energy and pace in the midfield, better at building from the back and harder to breakdown in midfield for a start. 

If Hourihane was still at Villa they would probably be fighting relegation. They've improved their team replacing him.

You are dealing in pure speculation Villas back 5 is one of the best in the premier league so with or with our hourihane these would be preforming at high level one player isn’t going to effect them a lot especially a player playing high up the field 

They have added more pace but the man brought in to replace hourihane over the last 10 games has probably been Villas worse player and has contributed nothing even from the bench Hourihane would have contributed more especially with grealish out he would have offered them something different as he did in the last 10 games of last year. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:29pm
Well they're eight places further up the premier league table without him - to a large part because they have a much better functioning midfield in open play. Which is likely what we will have in time also as we phase himself and Hendrick out in the next couple of years.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:39pm
I am not too fussed that Hourihane may be missing. He is nearly always anonymous for Ireland.

Edited by grannyrule - 20 Mar 2021 at 8:47pm
The only way is up
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 9:21pm
Brady will start then for set pieces 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:58pm
It took a few months, but it looks like Swansea fans have figured out the problem with Hourihane. When he's not getting any joy from set pieces it's like being a man down having him in the team.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:09pm

It took a few months, but it looks like Swansea fans have figured out the problem with Hourihane. When he's not getting any joy from set pieces it's like being a man down having him in the team.

Didn't take them a few months. They were saying that weeks ago. Anonymous more often not. Just work harder, Conor. His flaw is pointed out game after game yet he still allows himself to drift off during the 90 mins.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 1:25pm
Very tidy assist for the Ayew goal.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:05pm
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/haywire-swansea-city-player-ratings-20407680

CONOR HOURIHANE 4

Tried his luck with a shot from distance in the first half but didn't offer anywhere near enough, in truth. Subbed.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/haywire-swansea-city-player-ratings-20407680

CONOR HOURIHANE 4

Tried his luck with a shot from distance in the first half but didn't offer anywhere near enough, in truth. Subbed.

This is as predictable as day turns to night when it comes to Hourihane.

Sometimes that shot from distance goes in and you can forgive the rest but when it doesn't... he does very little.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 10:22pm
Hourihane's playoff ratings

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/impressive-swansea-city-player-ratings-20618976

CONOR HOURIHANE 6

Didn't really affect the game in the first 45 and, in fairness, he was fairly quiet in attack in the second half, aside from a free-kick that almost caught out Brad Collins.

CONOR HOURIHANE 6

Didn't offer much in attack but put in a real shift defensively, with the Republic of Ireland international making a number of timely interceptions and tackles. Subbed.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 22 May 2021 at 10:23pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 5:38pm
Disappointed for hourihane not getting a second shot at the premier league. Cant imagine he figures highly in Aston villas plans so Swansea was probably his best shot.

Not sure he was having such a good game as he got substituted on the hour mark despite being 2-0 down at the time.

Probably doesn't do enough in games to be classed as premier league level anyway. See him going to a top end championship club, I think Swansea have better options already so unlikely to be them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 81>
  Share Topic