You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 81>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I doubt there's ever been a bigger injury crisis going into a competitive Ireland game. Over half of our first team out injured. I'm pretty sure I could name almost 20 off the top of my head if you want to include players such as Chiedozie Ogbene who could've became good options going into Wednesday.

Kenny's on a hiding to nothing. His bad luck is unprecedented.

I can't recall an unlucker Ireland manager.
We had a lot of injuries the end of the o neil era. Trap had the handball. Eoin hand in Belgium 

Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 6:42pm
Can I be the first to say it? He's no loss.

Gives Knight or Browne a chance in midfield although it all but guarantees that Hendrick will start.

In more worrying news Blackburn have tweeted that Darragh Lenihan has been called up to the squad, hopefully it's not Clark or O'Shea that he is replacing.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 6:48pm
Yes, I'm more concerned about the Lenihan call up than the Hourihane thing. Hope Clark is OK, he won't have called Lenihan up for no reason. Hourihane has had enough chances with Ireland and has done nothing bar one free kick. He's no loss.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes, I'm more concerned about the Lenihan call up than the Hourihane thing. Hope Clark is OK, he won't have called Lenihan up for no reason. Hourihane has had enough chances with Ireland and has done nothing bar one free kick. He's no loss.

Done well today.

Darragh Lenihan - 8

Proper captain's showing. Commanded his back four excellently and was always present to mop up when necessary. Diligent to contain the threat and made a series of crucial interventions - the last ditch block to deny Pukki a highlight!

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 6:52pm
As usual when it comes to Hourihane (and Hendrick) when you challenge anyone as to what they bring to the team, the response is something vague about experience and playing in the premier League. 

I too am not concerned by his injury, but I'm more than willing to have my mind changed.

What will we be potentially missing with him not in Belgrade?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 6:55pm
I reckon he will now go with 

Kelleher 
Coleman O’Shea Duffy Stevens
            Hendrick Cullen
Doherty Browne Brady
                Connolly 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

As usual when it comes to Hourihane (and Hendrick) when you challenge anyone as to what they bring to the team, the response is something vague about experience and playing in the premier League. 

I too am not concerned by his injury, but I'm more than willing to have my mind changed.

He was pivotal to Villa staying in the PL, which is a weird thing to skirt over given the context.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:03pm
Spot on.  

But for Hourihane's interventions at the end of the season, Villa were dead set on relegation.  He was a big part of them staying up. 

He's a serious loss to our team in Belgrade, with his dead ball ability and experience; not to mention the absence of many quality or even form players to replace him.

Hope it's just a knock and he's back in time for Belgrade. 

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 20 Mar 2021 at 7:07pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:03pm

He was pivotal to Villa staying in the PL, which is a weird thing to skirt over given the context.

Well he was and he wasn't. He made crucial set piece contributions but that was offset by his lack of contribution in general play which will have contributed to them being so far down the table. Ultimately they dropped him and have been far better off this season without him.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:07pm
What has villa got to do with anything? I'm only concerned with how he plays for Ireland, and I suggest some of you guys go back and watch his performances over the last year or so. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:08pm

Clark playing tonight so Long Duffy or O’Shea? Hopefully not O’Shea for his sake in particular playing regularly and playing well.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Spot on.  

But for Hourihane's interventions at the end of the season, Villa were dead set on relegation.  He was a big part of them staying up. 

He's a serious loss to our team in Belgrade, with his dead ball ability and experience; not to mention the absence of many quality or even form players to replace him.

Hope it's just a knock and he's back in time for Belgrade. 

Brady takes the frees.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:18pm

Well he was and he wasn't. He made crucial set piece contributions but that was offset by his lack of contribution in general play which will have contributed to them being so far down the table. Ultimately they dropped him and have been far better off this season without him.

Absolutely spot on. I hear how essential he was for villa to keep them up. (Grealish kept them up in reality)

His midfield contributions were one of the reasons villa got into the position they were in.

Saying that... I'm not a fan of hourihane but he has been scoring goals of late for Swansea. No one else is doing that.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Absolutely spot on. I hear how essential he was for villa to keep them up. (Grealish kept them up in reality)

His midfield contributions were one of the reasons villa got into the position they were in.

Saying that... I'm not a fan of hourihane but he has been scoring goals of late for Swansea. No one else is doing that.

Eh, no they weren't. He didn't get a run of games until around Lockdown and that coincided with their form improving and subsequent survival. They were in free fall until he was reinstated to the team. Their win-loss record was better with than without.

Not all down to him but it's complete and utter nonsense to say Villa were in the relegation positions because of someone who wasn't starting.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:25pm
Starting a player who's over all contribution is more often than not quite poor in the hope he might score given his current form....

A Striker - I can somewhat understand that

A Midfielder - sorry, that's just not in any way justifed
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:29pm
he brings a goal scoring threat and is a brilliant set piece taker while some of his weaknesses might not help us a whole amount in Serbia his replacements haven’t proved to be any better and don’t have his quality.

Where his loss will be felt more is against Luxembourg so for anyone to say he isn’t a loss hasn’t seen much of our attacking options of late.

Before he went off today he forced their keeper into a good save from a free kick.

And the sky commentators were praising his impact on Swansea since he has arrived 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:29pm
Hotlips - Hourhane has not been good for Villa. Can you please explain why they didn't play him for weeks and weeks this season and then agreed to let him drop down a league? 

Are you saying he was great for villa to keep them up and then he was so bad the next season that they didn't even see him as a squad player and let him go? 

What are you attributing to this massive dip in form? 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hotlips - Hourhane has not been good for Villa. Can you please explain why they didn't play him for weeks and weeks this season and then agreed to let him drop down a league? 

Are you saying he was great for villa to keep them up and then he was so bad the next season that they didn't even see him as a squad player and let him go? 

What are you attributing to this massive dip in form? 
That’s wrong smith has coming out and said he didn’t want to be a sub there is a difference 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 81>
  Share Topic