You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 81>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by eddiebro eddiebro wrote:

Trap tried Kilbane, Mick tries Hourihane.

Dinosaurs 

But yet Pep tried an attacking midfielder in left back last season, he made the jersey his own and is now first choice in the position after winning a domestic treble, and Pep is heralded as a genius for that.

Not saying Hourihane is going to be a world beater, but no harm in looking at him in a friendly in the position knowing we are going to be without our first choice left back in the next game.

At least wait until 9.30 tonight to have a moan. Its quite an attacking choice for left back if nothing else.

Let's call a spade a spade, the only reason Mick wants to have Hourihane in left back is so that he can have somebody that is good at dead balls on the pitch.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's already thinking of the potential midfield of Hendrick and McCarthy with Whelan as the sitting midfielder again. Zero creativity but what's new.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:27pm

Imagine that, wanting a player to have good delivery on corners and free kicks LOL

And Belgium had Kevin De Bruyne on corners last night. Whats Martinez thinking?

Northern Ireland's best player last night was a midfielder playing at right back.
I really don't get the outrage here.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 10 Sep 2019 at 4:28pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:29pm
I don’t understand what people expect?

First, we don’t have an abundance of left backs, and even if we did MM will only play a limited number of players with the goal of qualification in mind.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:31pm
Manager in trying something different in meaningless friendly shocker. 

Brady started left-back for his dead-ball threat in a meaningless friendly against USA mid-campaign five years ago. Scored twice, then became one of our most important players until 2016.

If nothing else, we dont have anything to lose by trying it.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:39pm
He's basically just throwing sh*t at a wall and hoping it sticks. Of course he's only doing it to have Hourihane in the team for set pieces. So he'd then have the option of another midfielder in for Stevens effectively in the Georgia game. This isn't some Pep styled inverted full back philosophy. It's the exact opposite in fact. It's a way of not playing any football at all, but making sure our best set piece taker is on the pitch to try and nick a goal that way at some stage.

I would laugh if Hourihane played well tonight at LB and also played well against Georgia in that position and then McCarthy starts him against Switzerland away. He would be annihilated at LB against quality opposition.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:41pm
Btw it's the mention of Ward LOL LOL Bring back Steve Staunton. Mick, the progressive football manager. Robbie Keane to get a run out against Georgia next month also maybe?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

He's basically just throwing sh*t at a wall and hoping it sticks. Of course he's only doing it to have Hourihane in the team for set pieces. So he'd then have the option of another midfielder in for Stevens effectively in the Georgia game. This isn't some Pep styled inverted full back philosophy. It's the exact opposite in fact. It's a way of not playing any football at all, but making sure our best set piece taker is on the pitch to try and nick a goal that way at some stage.

I would laugh if Hourihane played well tonight at LB and also played well against Georgia in that position and then McCarthy starts him against Switzerland away. He would be annihilated at LB against quality opposition.

Could I ask for your alternatives?

Greg Cunningham, who has been farmed out on loan to compete with young Lenihan? Doherty, who is injured and would also be out of position? An underwhelming goodbye to Ward? McClean would make as much sense as Hourihane.

This is not really earth shattering.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Greg Cunningham, who has been farmed out on loan to compete with young Lenihan? Doherty, who is injured and would also be out of position? An underwhelming goodbye to Ward? McClean would make as much sense as Hourihane.

Terry Phelan maybe?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:47pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Terry Phelan maybe?

Maybe, but I take it you don’t actually have an alternative.

Also, so what? It’s a friendly.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:50pm
Since it's only a friendly, maybe try Ronnie Whelan there?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:51pm
Seriously, I’d be interested to know what people’s alternative is.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:53pm
There's maybe a world class left back at Linfield or Crusaders who has been capped by the north at underage but has photos of GAA and Celtic on his social media accounts, that we should be making a move for, knowing this forum!

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 10 Sep 2019 at 4:56pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:59pm
I'll say it again. I laughed hardest at the thought of Stephen Ward being seriously considered an option. If people don't laugh at a manager thinking in such terms, then they must be crying at that thought.

As for Hourihane playing LB. It's generally an abysmal idea. This isn't a Pep side. Our LB main position is 5 yards outside his own box for the majority of the 90 mins. Hourihane isn't quick. He doesn't seem to have much defensive nous at all. Actually any time I've watched him, he's really poor at that. He is a nice passer of the ball but only with lots of time. He is though a very good set piece taker, so it makes sense to always have him in a McCarthy team somewhere. As that will be our main attacking emphasis. At least now most are starting to become aware of exactly the progressive style of football McCarthy was bringing back with him.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:07pm
Well, if what you say is on the money, he’ll be found out tonight and the experiment won’t be repeated. That can’t hurt to try it.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:12pm
I just dont like the fact that hes just going with this exact bunch and thats that. If we had loads of left backs out there i dont think he would call them in anyway. Hes not interested in looking outside these players. His call but that seems to be his mindset. Apart from shane long nobody else is going to get back into this squad as an 'outsider'.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:15pm
But that’s with the single minded goal of qualifying. We have three final games to come. If it doesn’t go well, that’s it, a one year experiment. If it does go well, his strategy has been vindicated.
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:19pm
Stephen Ward, Greg Cunningham and even Ryan Manning were all converted into left backs earlier in their careers. So to come along to a player towards the latter part of their career and play them out of position is madness. There were question marks over Robbie Brady there and even considering McClean now is also madness for his rash challenges. Trap did it with Kilbane, that didn’t work out. MON tried it with Christie in midfield and got ridiculed for it. 

Fair enough if there was some outstanding logic like he’s trying to keep a set piece taker in the side while accomodating a top quality midfielder but that ain’t the case. Some were arguing Matt Doherty should be played out of position in the midfield, which holds more weight than playing Hourihane at left back, but Mick seems totally against that after 45 minutes on a plastic pitch. 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:03pm
Hourihane    AKA   ALABA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 81>
  Share Topic