You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 81>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

If Whelan starts against Denmark we are in serious trouble.

Who do you suggest we play instead of him that is currently in the squad?

This is the list of midfielders named for the two upcoming games. 

Alan Browne is injured. 

Midfielders: Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Luca Connell (Bolton Wanderers), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic*), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth).

We need at least a draw from this game and to me it appears that from that list of players we have to play Whelan in front of the back four, with Hendrick and Hourihane playing a bit further forward. 

Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

well it's only him or Josh Cullen.

Or we can play Hourihane there, worked well for Villa today.

I think we would be f**king murdered if we start Hourihane there, I felt the second half today bears this out.

I would disagree. Mount and Wilson were both extremely quiet today for Derby and as Derby’s two best attacking players you have to give Hourihane credit for that.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:49pm

well it's only him or Josh Cullen.

Or we can play Hourihane there, worked well for Villa today.

I think we would be f**king murdered if we start Hourihane there, I felt the second half today bears this out.

I would disagree. Mount and Wilson were both extremely quiet today for Derby and as Derby’s two best attacking players you have to give Hourihane credit for that.

Mount and Wilson had plenty opportunity to show their talent, it was the occasion that got the best of them.Every time Derby attacked in the last thirty minutes there was a massive gap between the defence and the midfield, we can't give Eriksen that.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Alan Browne is injured. 

Midfielders: Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Luca Connell (Bolton Wanderers), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic*), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth).

We need at least a draw from this game and to me it appears that from that list of players we have to play Whelan in front of the back four, with Hendrick and Hourihane playing a bit further forward. 

Aye sure Whelan played well in that role in the first leg against WBA, no coincidence that he didn’t play a single minute in their next two games. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:52pm

Alan Browne is injured. 

Aye sure Whelan played well in that role in the first leg against WBA, no coincidence that he didn’t play a single minute in their next two games. 

We know his limitations, but who else from that list of players would you be remotely confident in of attempting to defend the space that Eriksen thrives in?

Unless Mick goes all Martin O'Neill and throws Robbie Brady in midfield with McClean on the wing, I can't help but see how Whelan won't start.

Edited by Maccatacca - 27 May 2019 at 5:53pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:53pm
Thanks a lot Declan Rice. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:54pm

Alan Browne is injured. 

He obviously had a nightmare for West Brom's goal, but he was excellent for the rest of that game. He wasn't picked in the next two for tactical reasons, they went gung-ho, but he should have been brought in for the last twenty today. Derby's lack of composure cost them in the end. They had plenty chances, they just needed a cool head.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:00pm

Alan Browne is injured. 

He obviously had a nightmare for West Brom's goal, but he was excellent for the rest of that game. He wasn't picked in the next two for tactical reasons, they went gung-ho, but he should have been brought in for the last twenty today. Derby's lack of composure cost them in the end. They had plenty chances, they just needed a cool head.

Jedinak would have been a better option to bring on especially as he is a more commanding figure. I think you are exaggerating when you mention Derby had plenty of chances, they really didn’t.

Anyway I wouldn’t hold out much hope of Whelan getting anywhere close to Eriksen. Here’s hoping he picks up an injury before the match. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:01pm
Whelan = an actual sitting mid with vast experience

Cullen = a sitting midfielder with no caps

Connell = sitting midfielder with no caps. And he is also toddler.

Those are our options and it's not really a decision to be honest.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:07pm

Alan Browne is injured. 

Jedinak would have been a better option to bring on especially as he is a more commanding figure. I think you are exaggerating when you mention Derby had plenty of chances, they really didn’t.

Anyway I wouldn’t hold out much hope of Whelan getting anywhere close to Eriksen. Here’s hoping he picks up an injury before the match. 
I don't mean shots, I mean they had the ball in Villa's half in promising situations and made a balls of it. Quite often it was Mount or Wilson who panicked and chose the wrong option.
Yeah, Jedinak could have been an option too. They definitely needed something. It was like Smith felt they could score again. Great to watch though!
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:36pm

Conor has done it the hard way working his way through the league. Delighted for him, great achievement.Clap

11/12 League 2
12/13 League 2
13/14 League 2
14/15 League 1
15/16 League 1
16/17 Championship
17/18 Championship
18/19 Championship
19/20 Premier League?

Edited by DalyerRegular - 27 May 2019 at 6:41pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:22pm
Played well today. He's always been good for goals and assists, but his general involvement in games has been much better the last 7/8 times I've watched him. He really seems to be imposing himself more and looking to move the ball around rather than just get involved high up the pitch. He's an important player for them, as illustrated by the fact he has more goals and assists than McGinn and Grealish despite playing in a deeper position than them, which is very impressive when you think about it.
We're decent enough..
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 2:42pm
Good piece.

From zero to Villain, a life lesson for happy Hourihane ...

From zero to Villain, a life lesson for happy Hourihane
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/from-zero-to-villain-a-life...

· From zero to Villain, a life lesson for happy Hourihane Hard work pays off in the end as Bandon midfielder achieves Premier ambition

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 3:44pm
so will we have to listen to george saying howrahane from now on. headwrecker. first hoban to huban now this. aaghhhhhhh
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

so will we have to listen to george saying howrahane from now on. headwrecker. first hoban to huban now this. aaghhhhhhh
Because that is the correct pronunciation! I do find 'Whorihane' a little grating, but that's because all the Hourihanes I was familiar with(including Conor's cousins) pronounce it as such. I didn't realise there was another way to pronounce it. 
 In reality though, we all get far too precious about these pronunciations in Ireland, especially as there always has been regional variations. In Cork city you have Coughlans who pronounce their name as 'Cawlan', in West Cork they would be 'Cocklan'. In West Cork you have Minihane, pronounced Mine-a-hen, thirty miles up the road that becomes 'Men-a-hane'. In Kerry it becomes f**king Moynihane!
We give out about the way the English pronounce  Cahill/Kayhill and Moran/Mow-ran, but we have similar variations throughout Ireland and it seems we did long before the English even arrived. Listen to the same  names being pronounced in the Munster, Connaught and Ulster dialects of Irish, for example.

Hu-ban does get on my tits, but it is the Anglicised form of Ó Húbáin, so it is probably the spelling that needs to change if anything!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 4:30pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Because that is the correct pronunciation! I do find 'Whorihane' a little grating, but that's because all the Hourihanes I was familiar with(including Conor's cousins) pronounce it as such. I didn't realise there was another way to pronounce it. 
 In reality though, we all get far too precious about these pronunciations in Ireland, especially as there always has been regional variations. In Cork city you have Coughlans who pronounce their name as 'Cawlan', in West Cork they would be 'Cocklan'. In West Cork you have Minihane, pronounced Mine-a-hen, thirty miles up the road that becomes 'Men-a-hane'. In Kerry it becomes f**king Moynihane!
We give out about the way the English pronounce  Cahill/Kayhill and Moran/Mow-ran, but we have similar variations throughout Ireland and it seems we did long before the English even arrived. Listen to the same  names being pronounced in the Munster, Connaught and Ulster dialects of Irish, for example.

Hu-ban does get on my tits, but it is the Anglicised form of Ó Húbáin, so it is probably the spelling that needs to change if anything!

thats fine if it was prounounced that way from the start. im used to hoban and hourihane. dont go wrecking me head a couple of years in. 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 5:50pm

Thanks a lot Declan Rice. 

LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 10:19am
Signs new contract at Villa, huge season for him
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 81>
  Share Topic