Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daryl Murphy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 61>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

He'd be another option to have there, worst case scenario as mentioned already Keane signed him for Ipswich, and he is better option then Sammon

Anyone one is a better option than Sammon, one of the worst players I ever seen.For a fella with that height I have never seen him win a header.

+1
Stephen Hawking is a better option than Sammon.

The only thing I did see him do was a nice lay off for Robbie to score against the Faroes (I think)
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 8:57pm
Sammon actually did alright when he came on against Chelsea at the weekend. That said, he is feckin brutal and nowhere near international standard.
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 9:37pm

Scored again today. Afaik thats 8 in the league so far Clap He's on track to have his best season in terms of goals/games ratio since he left Waterford Utd.

Do people think he deserves a call-up to at least an International friendly/training camp? I think if Cox, Keogh and Sammon are getting call-ups, then this guy might deserve another shot? Ipswich could be vital for Ireland.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 10:01pm
KEane, Long, Walters are the only strikers that are guaranteed. There's little  between the rest of them

Cox, Stokes, Murphy, Doyle probably vying for either 1 or 2 spots in a 23 man squad and Murphy is the only 1 scoring...
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

KEane, Long, Walters are the only strikers that are guaranteed. There's little  between the rest of them

Cox, Stokes, Murphy, Doyle probably vying for either 1 or 2 spots in a 23 man squad and Murphy is the only 1 scoring...

Slightly off topic, but now that you raised it, Is Walters guaranteed a place EVERY game? Is Long guaranteed? Is even Robbie guaranteed? I'm not sure I'd agree with your assessment there. Now, I wouldn't know Martin O'Neill if he landed in me dinner, but he strikes me as a bloke who doesn't suffer fools gladly nor do I think does he feel the need to simply follow on from what went before. In other words, he is his own man. Did he not even intimate in so many words in one of his press conferences already that there were no guaranteed positions, even for Robbie. He seemed at least to infer that, clean slate, call ups on merit, etc.

If Murphy keeps scoring regularly, imo he should at least be invited to a training camp for more closer assessment to see could he do a job for us. Pick players on form,fitness, ability and committment and nothing else. 

Edited by Madferret - 25 Jan 2014 at 10:19pm
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 10:44pm
Well Those 3 players I mentioned are in a different league (excuse the pun) to the rest. They are far superior footballers and anyone that knows anything about our players would have all 3 in the squad guaranteed at this present time which is what we're talking about? Id be surprised if anyone could make a legitimate case for the likes of Murphy or Doyle to be ahead of any of those 3 in the pecking order currently
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 10:59pm

Well Those 3 players I mentioned are in a different league (excuse the pun) to the rest. They are far superior footballers and anyone that knows anything about our players would have all 3 in the squad guaranteed at this present time which is what we're talking about? Id be surprised if anyone could make a legitimate case for the likes of Murphy or Doyle to be ahead of any of those 3 in the pecking order currently

Yes, currently it could be argued, but that position is not held in stone beyond even next week.  

I'm not genuinely trying to be pedantic, but you used the word guaranteed at least once. My understanding of that term is a legitimate expectation of certainty that such an outcome will re-occur and continue into the future. I'm arguing against certainty. I'm saying, pick the players no matter who they are, based on form, fitness , ability and committment and no other criteria. That  "uncertainty" over whose in and whose out will create it's own natural and necessary competition. We need to encourage that ethos even at International Level. You appear at least, to rate "ability" head and shoulders over the other three criteria I have suggested. But what use is an "able" footballer if he doesn't also demonstrate form, fitness and committment. Probably only the likes of Messi or Ronaldo can get away with the "ability" criteria alone, and even then not forever. Not Guaranteed. Do you see what I'm arguing? It's actually counterproductive and divisive to single out and identify any one individual as Guaranteed their position. That wouldn't be done in a team working together in a business. Why should it be done in a football team?
I've the height of respect for what Robbie has achieved in the game and his contribution to Ireland and I don't wish to see him retire from International Football just yet. We'll probably not see such a prolific striker wearing the green again in our lifetimes. But I stop short of what you appear to be advocating that he should be guaranteed his position. No Sir, I don't like it!

Edited by Madferret - 25 Jan 2014 at 11:16pm
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Yes, currently it could be argued, but that position is not held in stone beyond even next week.  

I'm not genuinely trying to be pedantic, but you used the word guaranteed at least once. My understanding of that term is a legitimate expectation of certainty that such an outcome will re-occur and continue into the future. I'm arguing against certainty. I'm saying, pick the players no matter who they are, based on form, fitness , ability and committment and no other criteria. That  "uncertainty" over whose in and whose out will create it's own natural and necessary competition. We need to encourage that ethos even at International Level. You appear at least, to rate "ability" head and shoulders over the other three criteria I have suggested. But what use is an "able" footballer if he doesn't also demonstrate form, fitness and committment. Probably only the likes of Messi or Ronaldo can get away with the "ability" criteria alone, and even then not forever. Not Guaranteed. Do you see what I'm arguing? It's actually counterproductive and divisive to single out and identify any one individual as Guaranteed their position. That wouldn't be done in a team working together in a business. Why should it be done in a football team?
I've the height of respect for what Robbie has achieved in the game and his contribution to Ireland and I don't wish to see him retire from International Football just yet. We'll probably not see such a prolific striker wearing the green again in our lifetimes. But I stop short of what you appear to be advocating that he should be guaranteed his position. No Sir, I don't like it!

Fitness and commitment are givensConfused They dont have any competitors for those places as the rest of the strikers are playing in lower standard leagues and not setting the world alight. We know that Stokes/Cox etc. are not as good as Long, Walters, Keane. I don't see what is up for debate.

Do you think that any of those 3 will not make the next squad?
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 10:22am
Id have stokes ahead of the chasing pack but id consider Murphy to be more of the ilk of cox, Doyle, keogh etc. it depends how MON sees it too as he may consider Walters to be a midfielder as he plays wide for Stoke quite a lot. That being said given MON's use of a big man up front over the years I suspect he'll see Walters as a striker. You would think Murphy would be ahead of that chasing pack on form and goals score and of course the Roy factor but this may only be enough for a standby spot.

Of course all this could change come may but if the squad was picked tomorrow there could probably be little complaints if he were the other striker. Personally I'd like to see us start integrating some young lads around the squads in these friendlies so a cheeky call up for Patrick Bamford would show some ambition on the FAI's part.
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Scored again today. Afaik thats 8 in the league so far Clap He's on track to have his best season in terms of goals/games ratio since he left Waterford Utd.

Do people think he deserves a call-up to at least an International friendly/training camp? I think if Cox, Keogh and Sammon are getting call-ups, then this guy might deserve another shot? Ipswich could be vital for Ireland.

Another winner today Clap Think that's 10 now this season. The most in-form Irish striker at present?? 
This Lad deserves some decent game-time on Wednesday. Keane won't be around and anyway we already know what he & Long, etc can offer.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 4:44pm
Goal today!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 5:47pm
loves scoring for the 'Swich
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 4:47pm
This guy can't stop himself scoring at this stage Clap
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 7:42pm
Thumbs Up
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:49am
good header from the Murph.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:13pm
Noway near international standard though, it's a pity.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Noway near international standard though, it's a pity.

That doesn't mean that he is nowhere near good enough for our squad.

Doyle, Cox, Keogh, Stokes and Murphy are all around the same level and vying for either 1 or 2 remaining striker spots after Long, Walters and Keane.

And on current form Murphy is the one scoring so he deserves to be in the squad IMO.
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 3:13pm
i agree with you but stokes is better played good his football at CL  this term, and he can operates as left or right forward or winger if needed he is a versatile forward,

I would like Best and this sensational youngster Ronan Murray to get chances they are on fire atm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 61>
  Share Topic