You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daryl Murphy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 61>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

He doesn't offer much in my opinion. Was cat when he came on against Austria. Maybe just one of those games but Walters was running and moving while Murphy looked tired and could barely win a header. 

Is there an obsession with this word of late?

I've heard it plenty of times over the years but why is something "cat"?

It's short for "catastrophic".
You know like "totes".
Feckin hipsters.
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:35am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

He doesn't offer much in my opinion. Was cat when he came on against Austria. Maybe just one of those games but Walters was running and moving while Murphy looked tired and could barely win a header. 

You know like "totes".
Feckin hipsters.

Ah ok.

Cheers.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:36am

To be honest, no. It's more of a cork term. Just poor.

Defo not a Cork term, I've heard it used quite often in Dublin.

It makes sense, cats are sh*te pets, think that's where it comes from 😂
DonkeyOatey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 10:34am
Big man there to hold ball up and maybe bring players into the game, but didn't really do that. Trying one touch flicks and his lay offs weren't great. Limited player but if it's put on his head, in the box, he might score.
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:43am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

You know like "totes".
Feckin hipsters.

As far as I'm aware it's short for cat malogen
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:43pm
The northern pronunciation is more like "kett", sounding like the start of the word ketamine.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:55pm
It is the shortened form of cat melodeon, the full term is very common in West Cork at least. The origin I have looked up in the past and it seems to be disputed, I always assumed it was a musical reference to bad 'melodeon or accordion playing and had drifted in to regular conversations about sport and the weather. The shortened version seems more common elsewhere in the county. 'Cat altogether' is used for something that was very bad indeed.
'Melodeonised' was another term taken from it, which means 'crumpled' or 'in a heap', I have heard this being used in relation to being drunk or hungover.

I thought Murphy did alright when he came on myself.

Edited by pre Madonna - 13 Jun 2017 at 1:56pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

+1

He has something to offer definitely. That may not be goals, but he's definitely an option

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

+1

He has something to offer definitely. That may not be goals, but he's definitely an option

He keeps centre-backs occupied. It might not be pretty but it is effective. I would like us to start Walters wide and Murphy up top in the next two games, stop the grandiose gesturing and go full Jack Charlton.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Rafa has said he is free to leave as he will not be needed.
Shame for him but not a huge surprise I suppose.

No surprise at all, he knew the story when he signed. He isn't too disappointed either, still has a year on Newcastle contract to run, some of which will be paid to him to leave the club, has a few offers in, will probably sign for whoever pays the most or maybe gives him a 2 year deal instead of the single year. Middlesboro were in the frame but that may have changed with the appointment of Monk. 

As regards what he does for Ireland, he is basically nuisance value, but very effective at it. Occupies defenders, challenges for aerial ball and is a threat at set pieces. 

I wouldn't be too harsh on him for Sunday's game, he mainly played closer to midfield with Walters further forward than him for the most part, this was probably based on the realisation that if Murphy was the closest to goal, Walters running from deeper wouldn't have the pace to get to any of his knockdowns. If we do end up in any game where we need an equaliser and we are resorting to long balls, Murphy will be brought on, what he does isn't pretty but it does unsettle defenders. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:06am

Short for catastrophic
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

No surprise at all, he knew the story when he signed. He isn't too disappointed either, still has a year on Newcastle contract to run, some of which will be paid to him to leave the club, has a few offers in, will probably sign for whoever pays the most or maybe gives him a 2 year deal instead of the single year. Middlesboro were in the frame but that may have changed with the appointment of Monk. 

As regards what he does for Ireland, he is basically nuisance value, but very effective at it. Occupies defenders, challenges for aerial ball and is a threat at set pieces. 

I wouldn't be too harsh on him for Sunday's game, he mainly played closer to midfield with Walters further forward than him for the most part, this was probably based on the realisation that if Murphy was the closest to goal, Walters running from deeper wouldn't have the pace to get to any of his knockdowns. If we do end up in any game where we need an equaliser and we are resorting to long balls, Murphy will be brought on, what he does isn't pretty but it does unsettle defenders. 

Done his job for Newcastle, brought in as 3/4th choice striker there to cover injuries and suspensions.

Scored some important goals, and from what i've heard from interviews has passed off a lot of tips to Mitrovic and Gayle.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Done his job for Newcastle, brought in as 3/4th choice striker there to cover injuries and suspensions.

Scored some important goals, and from what i've heard from interviews has passed off a lot of tips to Mitrovic and Gayle.
Maybe the reason why mitrovic is on his way out.LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 2:28pm

It is the shortened form of cat melodeon, the full term is very common in West Cork at least. The origin I have looked up in the past and it seems to be disputed, I always assumed it was a musical reference to bad 'melodeon or accordion playing and had drifted in to regular conversations about sport and the weather. The shortened version seems more common elsewhere in the county. 'Cat altogether' is used for something that was very bad indeed.
'Melodeonised' was another term taken from it, which means 'crumpled' or 'in a heap', I have heard this being used in relation to being drunk or hungover.

Does that mean Cat Stevens is sh*te then? 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Does that mean Cat Stevens is sh*te then? 
No, but it might be why he changed his name.......
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:15pm
Linked with Reading
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 7:37pm
Available. where now for Murphy. Should find employment in the championship.was never going to be kept at st James's. Didn't play much last season. Was very good at Ipswich. Will Mick resign him?
alive and kicking
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

Available. where now for Murphy. Should find employment in the championship.was never going to be kept at st James's. Didn't play much last season. Was very good at Ipswich. Will Mick resign him?

Where you seeing this? I can't find any links to him leaving. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 61>
  Share Topic