Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Typical GAA begrudgery
    Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 2:10pm
now that is what you call typical GAA begrudgery!!
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Sponsored Links

Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 2:09pm
And me uncle doesn't even take credit for it!!!! He once told my dad after Stapo scored against France in 1981 "that little feckr, he gave up the gaa for that!" and he was serious!!!!
There are friendlier places to drink.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 2:06pm
ha ha classic donal , top scorer for ireland all stemming from a snub by the GAA
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 2:05pm
Me uncle once kicked Frank Stapleton out of Harmondstown GAA years ago and Frankie took up soccer...the little feckr
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 1:59pm
proper order , theres no reason the two teams cant share players , keeps them fitter for fecks sakes
tirchonaill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 1:50pm

same in donegal, but a lot of  gaa clubs have had to give in or they would not be able to field 15 at weekend so they had to stop bans on soccer..

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 1:45pm
a good few fellas in mayo double job it TC but the GAA is always the priority
tirchonaill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 1:44pm
once the local gaa club start training next week, all players are banned from playing soccer..one of the very few parishes in county without a soccer team but the best players play for neighbouring soccer clubs during winter but that stops next week..
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 1:43pm
fuly agree donal , you are dealing with years of lost potential there as regards the ban and what with emigration as well , currently reading the "house of pain" mayo book and the amount of great players lost to america was a crying shame
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 1:39pm

Point takenRoger, but could you imagine what succes we might have had in the years from 1921 to 1980 if the ban had not been there and some of the greatest GAA players were allowed to play soccer and Gaa? Eoin "Bommer" Liston and Paddy Cullen alone would have got Giles team to a finals alone....maybe. And could you imagine Johnny Carey winning the FA Cup with Man U in 1948 and turning out for Dublin in the Championship? I am not to up on GAA players of the past but I'm sure you can think of one or two who could have done well for Irish soccer. Soccer has been handicapped for years by this ban and the success of Kevin Moran just shows what a waste the ban was.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 1:29pm
surely you could argue donal that it was the lifting of the ban that spurred  the irish team to its highest heights ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 11:25am
When the FAI started making real money after Euro 88 they decided to invest it in the grassroots and also the LOI. Since then their investments has proved to be worth it and has developed some quality players. Just look at our sides which won the U16 and Youth Championships and the players from them sides playing for Ireland now.
I am not against the GAA and fair play to them if they get some money from the Government (or should that be our money) but what annoys me is the sniding remarks by some GAA heads within the organisation when it comes to soccer.
I made the point in FREESTATERS that had the GAA not imposed the ban on forgein games a lot more players would have graced both sports. Johnny Carey, Con Martin and others were all from gaa families but were denied the chance to play the game. Similiary, a lot of gaa players were denied the chance to play soccer and who knows we could have had our own Maradona (Hand of God and all) within the GAA.
All of which leads to another point. The Republic of Ireland soccer team has had great success despite being denied (by the GAA ban) a huge section of our sporting population.
Catman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 10:32am
Zizu, the reality is the money the FAI make is already being invested in grassroots. People have this perception that they don't spend any money around the country. It's simply not the case. Every schoolboy club in the country is a phonecall away from a regional development officer or a football in the community officer who can coach their managers and take training sessions with their players.
Any individual in Ireland if they so wish can take the first step on the FAI's coaching ladder and go all the way up to UEFA level. The mechanisms are already in place (largely due to Brian Kerr and Packie Bonner).

There is also the introduction of the emerging talent programme and the new national academy at abbotstown. unfortunately the only attention the FAI get is (mostly deserved) negative attention surrounding the senior team.
Regional development officers do not sell newspapers. but its grossly unfair to ask will they spend the money? when they already are.

there are also almost 200 people employed full time by the FAI.

it is also a myth to say the GAA is amateur (Just like the FAI, the top brass of the GAA are full time professionals)

The sequence now is, should he miss this, and Ireland's next penalty is scored, then the match and the progress are Ireland's....Timofte against Bonner..
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 10:04am
Doanl, Im not one who likes to hear a bad word said about the GAA and this is no diferent. U cant compare a benafactor who gives money to an amatuer association and one who gives money to a proffesional association. The FAI did not need O'Briens money ( dont get me wrong its very much apprichated!), lets not forget that they made 10 million off the Germany game alone. This is not like previous decades. The FAI are a wealthy association now. The difference between the GAA and the FAI is that the GAA's money really does get filtered down to the grass roots. Will the money the FAI have saved because of O'Briens intavention really be invested at grass roots level. I have my doubts....
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 7:52am

I suppose the GAA forgot the huge sum of money they got from Bertie to build Croke Park some years ago and were told that they didn't have to change their (then) rules about "foreign games". This at a time when we were trying to build a national sports arena.

I know a lot of dead on GAA lads but met one or two who still harp back to the old days when their spy's turned up at soccer games just to see if any GAA people were there!!! The best one though was when the President of Ireland, Douglas Hyde, turned up at an Ireland soccer game in 1938 and was then banned by the GAA even though he was a patron of the GAA and THE BLOODY PRESIDENT!!!!

Time to move on, boyos, and thanks for the use of Croke Park.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 7:43am

Lads, first off it was a for and against piece, it's not a stand alone article

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/should-the-fai-have-accepted-money-from-denis-obrien-1290058.html

It's obviously a slow news day and the indo has to fill the sports pages, so it was an obvious two piece article to write.

However, having said that, it is pure sh1te he's talking!! Wouldn't mind but I've bumped into him a few times and he's always seemed sound...was at GAA matches though.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 7:33am
the 2nd reply is excellent..wonder what that clown would say in response to that..total tunnel vision on this gobsh*te and failing 2 see both sides of the argument..
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 7:27am
Holy crap where do they get these people?Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic