You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oz vs Ireland in ruggers in Brisbane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oz vs Ireland in ruggers in Brisbane
    Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:42am
Happening in June just down the road and i think i shall have to head along with just about every other Irishman on the east coast of Oz. Can someone please confirm, will i be able to sing my country's national anthem at this game?
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:47am
You certainly can HM. The band won't be accompanying you however.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:48am
gerk will probably ban you

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
totti View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:49am
True, from wikipedia

Since April 1995, a specially composed anthem, "Ireland's Call" has been used by the Irish team in away games.[15] This has prompted some players and supporters from the Republic to complain that "Amhrán na bhFiann" should be played.[16] At games played in Dublin "Ireland's Call" is always used alongside "Amhrán na bhFiann".[17] This use of "Amhrán na bhFiann" has caused similar complaints from players and supporters from Northern Ireland.[citation needed] With Ireland's friendly game against Italy in the run up to the Rugby World Cup scheduled to be held in Belfast, there were calls for "God Save the Queen" to be used alongside "Ireland's Call" but this was turned down by the IRFU[18] with the explanation given that it was not a 'home' match because the team would be playing "outside Ireland".[19]

Flag of the IRFU

Similarly, the Irish tricolour, the official flag of the Republic of Ireland, is flown only when playing in the Republic. A flag with symbols representing the four provinces of Ireland is flown alongside the Irish tricolour in Dublin, and is used exclusively when playing elsewhere.[citation needed] At some matches, the standard of the island's rugby union governing body, the Irish Rugby Football Union, is displayed on the field during pre-match ceremonies.[citation needed] Many supporters in the crowd at Ireland matches wave the tricolour of the Republic of Ireland, though not all of the island is part of the Republic.

Only Sung at home games it seems Unhappy

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:54am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

You certainly can HM. The band won't be accompanying you however.

LOLLOLLOLLOL
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:56am
So our national anthem will not be played no? what a load of absolute cock
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Agreed but this isn't exactly a recent thing.

Watching Ireland play in the last world cup in Bratislava, the day after the Slovakia game, Irelands Call finishes and the whole bar sings the anthem ( it wasn't being played as game was in France). Unreal - hairs on the back of yer neck stuff. So loud the girl behind the bar ran out covering her ears !  ( that said i'm a sh*te singer so that coulda been it !)
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:19am

Watching Ireland play in the last world cup in Bratislava, the day after the Slovakia game, Irelands Call finishes and the whole bar sings the anthem ( it wasn't being played as game was in France). Unreal - hairs on the back of yer neck stuff. So loud the girl behind the bar ran out covering her ears !  ( that said i'm a sh*te singer so that coulda been it !)

Was hoping it may have just been for the 6 nations or something. Didnt think it applied to every away game Angry

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:20am
Learn the words to irelands call over the next few weeks HMThumbs%20Up
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:21am
Unfortunatley dude.

See Totti's wiki article about a friendly with Italy in Belfast. The official line from the IRFU was that Amhrán na bhFiann wouldn't be played as the game wasn't in Ireland !

Thats the kind of fookwits your dealing with !
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:43am
No national anthem. At the few away rugby games I've been to, 'Ireland's Call' is all ya get. At the world cup games in Bordeaux, the IRFU decided to fly the four provinces flag and the Ulster flag, which really rattled some cages.

TBF, virtually to a man most people from the south hate this aspect and many refuse to sing 'Ireland's Call.' Of course I'd rather hear "Amhrán na bhFiann" but personally, I think their silent protest is pointless as it's not supporting the team.

Edited by Stoked Up - 04 May 2010 at 9:45am
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 10:53am
Irelands call is Irelands shame
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 10:56am

Singing it in the Bot in 2007 before the England game, a few of us absolutely belting it out, got a couple of awkward looks from people, fuk em! These are the same fekers who probably want to join in with the singing of GSTQ
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:42pm
Shocked Just reading the text report from the Ireland v England Cricket match:

1st over - 6-0 Tremendous stuff - God Save the Queen and The Soldier's Song on the steel drums! Have to say, the Irish national anthem deals rather better with being 'mashed up'. Boyd Rankin with the first ball and you don't want to bowl it there with fine-leg up, four runs off the bat of Lumb. All very attacking though from Ireland, two slips in, although they remove one for the right-handed Kieswetter. Keith (see below) - if it rains all day on Thursday, not only will Brown stay in power, by my Duckworth-Lewis calculations Plaid Cymru will take Kensington and Chelsea and Nick Griffin will be installed as speaker.

Surprised if Amhrán na bhFiann was played, if it was I'm sure there will be a few complaints by the suits of the ICU...
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Críostóir Óg Críostóir Óg wrote:

1st over - 6-0 Tremendous stuff - God Save the Queen and The Soldier's Song on the steel drums! Have to say, the Irish national anthem deals rather better with being 'mashed up'. Boyd Rankin with the first ball and you don't want to bowl it there with fine-leg up, four runs off the bat of Lumb. All very attacking though from Ireland, two slips in, although they remove one for the right-handed Kieswetter. Keith (see below) - if it rains all day on Thursday, not only will Brown stay in power, by my Duckworth-Lewis calculations Plaid Cymru will take Kensington and Chelsea and Nick Griffin will be installed as speaker.

Surprised if Amhrán na bhFiann was played, if it was I'm sure there will be a few complaints by the suits of the ICU...

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Fair play to them afterall it is an Ireland team so it's only right the Irish national anthem is played.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Críostóir Óg Críostóir Óg wrote:

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Fair play to them afterall it is an Ireland team so it's only right the Irish national anthem is played.

Denis if you want to come up here and explain that to the members of the Northern Cricket Union I will glady back you up...from a safe distance Wink
bannedscientist View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannedscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 11:39pm
i will sing irelands call to ya hm at the game!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic