You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Makes me sick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldBawnHoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makes me sick
    Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 10:44am
http://www.tribune.ie/sport/article/2010/apr/11/back-stage-diarmuid-doyle-damned-with-united/

The worst sports article I have ever read. Unbeliveable. What a ****

''A smaller few reckoned I was a fairweather fan, who could go to hell and back, which is fair enough. And then there were the League of Ireland brigade, cheerleaders for a shoddy product, and without an ounce of romance or sense between them.''

Sponsored Links

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 10:51am
Interesting OBH, I'll read that properly now and email the chap........will report back (I was gonna do a letter to the Editor but I notice it's last Sunday week........).   

By the way, it is a bunch of self-serving, indulgent rubbish and I'll tell him that.

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 20 Apr 2010 at 11:03am
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:39am
Right, sent him a lengthy, non-abusive (!) email, I'll let yiz know!
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
OldBawnHoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldBawnHoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 5:31pm
Good stuff
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 6:47pm
Read it earlier - what a complete wank stain
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Read it earlier - what a complete wank stain

To think 500million sperm are ejaculated and one of them fertilised the egg that made this clown, just imagine......................
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 2:47am
i think people should have told him to start coming to LOI instead of jumping in with the insults and getting his back up , there are some league fans who are happier alienating fellas instead of attracting them to the league , fcuking gimps...

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 3:16am
Give me a few min lads............he actually supported Kilkenny City would yiz believe.....?  He replied to my email, I'll post up both in a bit.  Relax the heads.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 4:07am

Diarmaid, I refer to your recent pieces in the Tribune regarding Leeds United.  I probably would’ve enjoyed the pieces more had you not let yourself down with your anti-League of Ireland diatribe which appeared in the follow-up piece (why are sequels so often a total let-down?)

I suppose I wouldn’t reckon you’re a fair-weather fan really, somebody who buys season tickets and spends so much money on Leeds over the years deserves a bit more respect than that, but when you love a club, you love it warts and all, bad Chairmen, Directors, Managers, Players, Substitutes, Supporters, Pies, the works.  You love your club unconditionally,  win, lose or draw, jammy win with rubbish scoreless draws  with glorious and unjust defeat (your European Cup Final defeat to Bayern stands alone in that regard to be fair).

So get to the point I hear you say………Well my point Diarmuid is that I am a League of Ireland fan, I’m a Rovers fan.  Some may reckon I’m a fair-weather fan in that I pretty much stopped going to Rovers games between 1996 and 2002 as the club lurched from crisis to near death in the post-Milltown meanderings.  I boycotted Tolka Park in 1987 until the Kilcoynes (bad Directors as stated above) were driven out because I love my club as I have done since 1979 when I first became a Hoop.   As the club re-claimed the Championship unexpectedly in 1994 with the RDS as its then “home” ground, I rejoiced that my club was back.  But we weren’t back.  We’d still no place to call home.  But I still loved my club.  Other commitments saw my attendance at matches wain between 1996 and 2002, but still I loved Rovers, longed for Tallaght Stadium to be finished to escape the barren and dreadful surroundings of the Morton Stadium and a 6-4 defeat to Bohs in a remarkable game.   Then the money dried up for Tallaght, inferior players came and went, decent players came and went and the Rovers, unthinkably, ingloriously, got relegated.  But still I loved my club.

While in the First Division I became a member of Shamrock Rovers when the club was saved by the Rovers fans from dying.  Yes it was that close, the most successful club in Ireland almost died.  But I became a member and continue to be a member and will continue to be until the day I die because, that phrase again, I love my club.  And thousands (or maybe tens of thousands) of like-minded people love their League of Ireland club, Bohs fans, Pats fans, Cork City and Drogheda fans (look what they’ve been put through the past 12 months), Derry City fans, hell even UCD fans and Sporting Fingal fans, few though they are, they love their club and have more “romance” and “sense” among them than you will ever have.  If you had romance you’d love Leeds, warts and all, 3-0 defeats to Swindon and all, blowing promotion and all.   If you had sense, you’d know that.  It’s nothing to with “dumb patriotism” (what a dreadful, condescending term to use), it has, like you espouse, everything to do with fatalism and optimism that characterise not only Leeds United, but every club that a fan loves, be it Rovers, Linfield, Ross County or Caernarfon Town.  Jaysus Diarmuid, Rovers fans probably have the patent for fatalism and blind optimism, even if we now finally (and deservedly in my opinion) have a decent place to call home.

Your abandoning of Leeds is ill-advised, your dismissing of League of Ireland fans as being “without an ounce of romance or sense”  even more so.  Fans love their clubs, unconditionally, totally and eternally, whatever League they support.

Regards.

Diarmuid’s reply:

<>

Hi Phelim,

You’re dead right, of course. I spent 10 years watching Kilkenny City in all of their home matches, and a few away, before they decided to call it a day.  My best friend is a Rovers fan like yourself, so it wasn’t the likes of him, or you, that I was referring to. Anybody who supports a football team knows what sort of a commitment it is, and how the team doesn’t let you go once it’s got its claws into you.

The people I was referring to when I mentioned “dumb patriotism” were those League of Ireland fans who insist that if you are Irish you have to support an Irish team. They allow no exceptions to this. This argument has never made any sense to me and is always guaranteed to get a rise out of me because it’s based on no sound argument whatsoever. We’re all free spirits and should be allowed to support who we want without some headcase with green tinted spectacles laying down rules and telling us what we can and can’t do.

From your email, I can clearly see that you are not one of those and I’m genuinely sorry if you thought my comments were directed at all League Of Ireland fans. They weren’t – just at those few who believe that you’re betraying your country because you had the good fortune (or misfortune, if you’re a Leeds fan) to have latched onto a team from another country when you were young.

Hope that clears things up a bit. Many thanks for the email, and sorry again if you thought I was putting the boot in where it wasn’t deserved.

Best wishes,

Diarmuid

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 11:46am
your a legend FW fair play

that guys a complete and utter ****
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 11:54am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i think people should have told him to start coming to LOI instead of jumping in with the insults and getting his back up , there are some league fans who are happier alienating fellas instead of attracting them to the league , fcuking gimps...

Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 12:00pm
Great stuff FW Agree with th above comment too Roger. Spot on.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Clap
didnt see that comment roger,well said
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 2:00pm
go to games and always bring a friend. the hooligans and the loi equivalent of the gaa-liban only drive them away. sure my dutch pal comes to see pats every other week and loves it, a world away in every sense from his hometown club of psv who were european champions in the past 25 years
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
DG80 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 3:46pm
he only goes to smuggle in more cans for youWink
cup champions
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 4:05pm
another reason to hate leeds Clap

Great email tho FW,your passion for Rovers really comes across on the forum..
Theres only one sport that matters..
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by DG80 DG80 wrote:

he only goes to smuggle in more cans for youWink
he's my non mcdowells good friday mule
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 4:47pm
quality FW Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic