You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darron Gibson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 250>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 6:18am

Gibson at odds with Trapattoni view

EMMET MALONE Soccer Correspondent

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND INTERNATIONAL NEWS: DARRON GIBSON may have undermined his chances of reclaiming his place in the Ireland team after appearing to mock Giovanni Trapattoni’s suggestion he might develop more as a player if he were to move away from Old Trafford in search of first-team football.

The Italian observed last week that Gibson had lost out to Paul Green in his team selection for the opening two games of the Republic of Ireland’s Euro qualification campaign because the 27-year-old was more used to having to work for the ball due to the fact he essentially plays week in week out with lesser players around him than the northerner has at Manchester United.

More than once, however, he hinted that the bigger problem is the lack of first team opportunities Gibson enjoys at Old Trafford. The 22-year-old from Derry started just 12 games for United last season and while he came on in almost as many again, Trapattoni would clearly like to see him featuring much more regularly.

On his recent visit to Dublin for the pre-season friendly against a League of Ireland selection, Alex Ferguson was at pains to talk the player’s prospects up, arguing that having chipped in with five goals last year, he could contribute much needed fire-power from midfield if given more regular run-outs.

Since the competitive action has got under way, though, the Scot has not even named the midfielder in his bench for a single game, prompting questions to Trapattoni in the build-up to the last two international games regarding what he believes might be the best way for the player to progress his career.

The manager made it clear he did not want to “tell” the player to move for fear of antagonising Ferguson but made clear his own frustration that a potentially key member of the Ireland squad was not getting the chance to play for his club and that the player could address the situation by moving in order to secure first-team football.

Asked by the Derry Journal in advance of the Andorra game about Trapattoni’s observations, however, Gibson appears to have reacted with a mixture of incredulity and scorn.

In a piece run under the headline “Shut your Trap, Gio”, Gibson is quoted as asking: “Where else would I go from Manchester United? What club, other than Manchester United, could I go to to improve my game?

“To be honest,” he continues, “if he’s trying to say that I should move somewhere like Stoke City and change my game to winning tackles and not winning games, then he’s having a laugh.

“To move on from Manchester United just doesn’t make sense to me.”

The player subsequently acknowledges his lack of first-team football is an issue on the international front and accepts he was unlikely to start in Armenia because of it.

He goes on, however, to express the hope he would start against Andorra. He didn’t.

He says, however, that having shown what he was capable of for his club last year he is just waiting to get “another run in the team”.

“I have a good relationship with Trapattoni,” he insists. “We haven’t fallen out in any way. Personally, I just think I haven’t been playing (for Ireland) because I haven’t been playing regularly at club level and he’s giving other players the chance that play week in, week out.”

That, as it happens, would seem to be the manager’s point and when Gibson’s quotes were read to Trapattoni at a press conference yesterday morning prior to his return to Italy, his tone was fairly scathing.

“I said before, he’s not my player, I’m not Ferguson,” he said. “But when a young player plays more games, in the first or second league, it increases their personality. It’s not a problem, though; if Gibson wants to stay in Manchester, let him stay in Manchester. It’s not my problem.

“I will continue to ask him but I think also it’s a question of whether he plays or doesn’t play. I cannot have seven or eight players who don’t play for their club. I can’t have such a situation.

“Two other players asked me 20 days ago about opportunities to go to the second league to play and I told them to go, play. He (Gibson) says he wants to stay, that Ferguson helps him; then stay! It’s not my problem.

“But the answer is that he must play. When he stays always on the bench, obviously he is not improving. Manchester is Manchester. There are players with great personalities who play. He must enter this group. Now, he doesn’t play or plays only sometimes because there are other great players but I think that at another club he plays all the time.

“It doesn’t matter whether it is Manchester or Juventus or Milan, when you stay at these great teams it is very important because you play in the league, in Europe . . . but if you stay in this club and play only a few times, you just stay with the shirt, then that is different.

“But I didn’t say whether he should stay or go. Just that if Gibson was at another club maybe he would play 90 minutes, 90 minutes, 90 minutes and he would grow more. He has football in his head and in his legs, it’s beautiful but if he doesn’t play . . .”

Asked about his side’s winning start to the campaign, Trapattoni’s satisfaction was apparent and he said he had congratulated his players before cautioning them against overconfidence.

“I said we’d only played the first two games. Don’t be arrogant. When you become strong, the other teams try to get at you. We cannot think we are the best just because of these two games.”

Sponsored Links

The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:25am
trap is right, as a united and ireland supporter, i still want to see what's best for gibson. it's very difficult to get into the united team at the moment and if he moves, he's guaranteeing himself first team football.
a good move for him if he goes to another club.
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:28am
Agree with that. Hes not good enough just yet to play for United week in week out and a move to Stoke or Wolves etc would be good for the lad.
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:27am
a season with another prem team would make him
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 7:23am

Trust Old Trap to offer some career advice to the still relatively obscure Darron Gibson on an issue that is increasingly touching the professional lives of some of the biggest names in the game.

Do they want to play, immerse themselves in the heart and the rhythm of a team, or are they as happy to grow rich without the steady beat of performance that can only come from regular competitive action?

On the face of it, Giovanni Trapattoni was merely suggesting that Gibson would be a far more valuable member of the Republic of Ireland squad if he spent less time watching the veteran Paul Scholes and the likes of Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick from the Manchester United bench or reserve team -- and more developing his talent on the field with the first team of another club, the only place that really counts in the mind of the coach.

Gibson was indignant. He made his breakthrough in an Irish shirt at roughly the time he was beginning to score spectacular goals for United, and naturally the young man wanted it all, the glory and prestige and the huge wages that came with performing at the Theatre of Dreams and also a regular place in the team that Trapattoni took so close to the World Cup finals.

Increasingly, though, the likes of Gibson are required to understand that vital decisions have to be made at an early stage of their professional development. If you operate at a certain level where your raw talent does not command automatic acknowledgement, there is a question mark against that ability to have it all.

Wayne Rooney has invited huge pressure on himself by assuming that his status as one of the world's most gifted players was quite separate from the need to operate his private life with a degree of control and discretion, at least if he wanted to avoid the kind of public examination under which he was put between two notable European Championship qualifying performances for England. His club-mate Gibson's challenge, though, is much more grounded in the game he seeks to play at the highest level.

meltdown

Rooney, short of a meltdown in nerve and commitment, is the first name on the team sheets of his United and England managers, Alex Ferguson and Fabio Capello. Gibson is never likely to enjoy such treatment. His challenge is to impress -- game in, game out -- a man like Trapattoni that he is getting stronger, more aware of every situation that can challenge a young pro.

The bench is not a place to proceed with such an education, nor the training ground. Real progress requires the real thing.

The key Trapattoni quote was: "I said that when younger players play more games or play always in the first or second leagues, it improves their personality, only this. There is no other problem.

"Gibson can stay in Manchester. It's not my problem. I will continue to call him up but I can't have eight players in my team who aren't playing for their clubs."

Of course he can have as few as two, especially if their names are Shay Given and Robbie Keane. But even here, with players of such established performance levels, there will soon enough be a question of sharpness, a worry about the effects of prolonged exclusion from the serious action.

Given may prefer the opulence of Manchester City to the margins of the Premier League with, say, Fulham; he may draw some satisfaction from contemplating the virtues of a rich old age; but if his young City rival Joe Hart continues to project his talent and confidence, for how long will he be content in the twilight zone?

Gibson's current resolve to fight it out at Old Trafford will surely be ultimately complicated by the limited chances he has to inflict his competitive 'personality' on the knowing Trapattoni. Given and Keane have had ample opportunity to do so, but Gibson has had a few opportunities to blossom under most optimum conditions. So far this season he has to yet to appear in the United first team, a situation that is in sharp comparison to one of his rivals for a place in the Irish midfield, Glenn Whelan.

While Gibson sat out the action the weekend before last, the Stoke City player was immersed in the greatest challenge facing any Premier League player -- he was attempting to make an impact on Chelsea, something he did with a driving performance and one shot which rattled the crossbar.

Stoke was the club that was put to Gibson as a possible route to more regular first-team football and he was aghast at the suggestion that he could learn more in a team not noted for its sophistication than the one that includes men like Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

Trapattoni's point, of course, is that it is not merely a question of learning; it is doing, making the mistakes, but marching on with a greater certainty about what you have do when the pressure is greatest.

That applied to Stoke cruelly at times when Chelsea were besieging their goal, but Whelan was notable for the relish and strength he brought to the battle.

Rightly or wrongly, Gibson creates the suspicion that he may be looking at his life and his football from the perspective of someone who believes the big tests have already been passed. He certainly offers an airy rejection of any suggestion that he would be better off in the Potteries learning how to win tackles rather than staying at United and winning games. But if this was a vanity, it was unlikely to impress Trapattoni.

The old coach is plainly immovable on the most basic of points. Just as fighters must fight, football players must play football. Gibson wondered whether the old man was "having a laugh".

If he is wise, he will not waste further time on such speculation. It would be as futile as spending too much time on the bench, wherever that happens to be.

- James Lawton

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:53pm
Are you watching Trappatoni?

While Gibson is Man United's biggest threat so far vs Rangers in the Champions League, Paul Green is playing in a Derby team who are currently losing to Hull!
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Are you watching Trappatoni?

While Gibson is Man United's biggest threat so far vs Rangers in the Champions League, Paul Green is playing in a Derby team who are currently losing to Hull!

A: How do you know Paul Green is running the show against Hull? Are you watching the game?

B: Rangers are in the SPL although They would probably be a decent championship side.

C: The only difference between the opposition is the champions league ball, Johnny Foreigner is the ref and Gibson has decent players around him.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 14 Sep 2010 at 3:00pm
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 4:00pm
heard gibson wasnt great tonight?
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

heard gibson wasnt great tonight?

Was probably United's best player.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 5:02pm
I thought Gibson was very good tonite. Couldnt have done much more. It wasnt his fault Utd were so inept.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
city4life View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote city4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 5:11pm
gibson played well tonight pity trap still wont pick him he prefers no talent muckers that "play" for hull and derby and cudnt make 1 pass between them!
darragh1888 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh1888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 5:32pm
gibson did well 2nite, very unlucky that some of those greaat strikes didnt go in for him!
"26 + 6 = 1, No Surrender"
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 5:51pm
Gibson did well tonight.

I think those shots can be lethal. I'd say he will get a good few games this year at united.

Could be in with a shout to play in uniteds next premiership match.

Twitter: DaveOGrady1
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Gibson did well tonight. I think those shots can be lethal. I'd say he will get a good few games this year at united.Could be in with a shout to play in uniteds next premiership match.

if Gibson starts United's next match I promise never to post on this forum again.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 6:35pm

If Scholes isn't playing Gibson will play otherwise he won't get near the team.

YBIG NPF founder and CEO
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Gibson did well tonight. I think those shots can be lethal. I'd say he will get a good few games this year at united.Could be in with a shout to play in uniteds next premiership match.

if Gibson starts United's next match I promise never to post on this forum again.

Well i think man utd play liverpool this sunday, so we'l be seein u on this forum next week!
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 1:59am
bar 6 or 7 shots at goal he did fuk all, was average IMO
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 2:37am
watched it with a man u lad ( i.e someone from manchester ) we both thought gibson was excellent , the man u lad said he prefers gibson to carrick , pity he didnt score with one of those shots, its becoming a real trade mark
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 250>
  Share Topic