Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 104>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

You’re some man Hans. You use outrageous hyperbole to mock other people’s perceived hyperbole 

I may use certain language but anything I discuss around McCarthy and team selections, such as that mockery of a starting lineups vs Switzerland, is factual. It's a fact that we played 3-5-2 and didn't play either of our highly performing wing backs in their positions. No hyperbole whatsoever there.

Nothing perceived either about this other hyperbole and utter sh*te talk, you just need to look at numerous posters mentioning Brazil 1982 and Stephen Kenny on this and other threads. Completely irrelevant and the height of moronic nonsense.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 12 Feb 2020 at 2:26pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:34pm
I think the point is that using sentences like "Completely irrelevant and the height of moronic nonsense." doesn't endear people to your thinking.

Not everything is turned up to eleven and not every observation is a criticism; it can be constructive feedback. If you toned down the hyperbole, other posters might react better.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 12 Feb 2020 at 2:34pm
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I think the point is that using sentences like "Completely irrelevant and the height of moronic nonsense." doesn't endear people to your thinking.

Not everything is turned up to eleven and not every observation is a criticism; it can be constructive feedback. If you toned down the hyperbole, other posters might react better.

That's fair enough. I do enjoy being pulled on my language as I comment about Mick McCarthy on the Mick McCarthy thread though. All the while on the same thread, Brazil 1982, Stephen Kenny's all attacking all winning style of football, FIFA 2020 football managers, all of these comments are left tip away unchallenged. Btw those comments are completely irrelevant and the height of moronic nonsense. I make no bones about that.

I mean on the James McCarthy thread, I was just asked how much I earned LOL. That is the level of guff I'm talking about and I think my language is actually apt in response to it.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:56pm
Aye, I know where you're coming from and it doesn't apply only to you of course. Just toning it down ought to result in better engagement with your point; it's easy to dismiss a hyperbolic post as bluster but if a post is reasonable and detailed, it is more liable to persuade people.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Trap Junior:

Please stop bellyaching about the current set-up. You're giving misery a bad name. McCarthy is not a great manager, but he's not the worst. We are certainly not a great team, but also not the worst. Those we face are no great shakes either. Very beatable. 

Mick's legacy is on the line - he'll have a red-hot go. Get behind the team or don't watch the matches. Stop saying you'd maybe prefer Ireland to lose. Your golden era under Kenny beckons. Then you'll be the dog that caught the car.

PS: Is your blood type B Negative?

Eh where did I say I'd prefer us to lose FFS?Confused
I said I don't mind losing as long as we are positive and go about things correctly you eejit.  I can live with that.  I don't like us playing absolute rubbish and not playing to win and not winning. 

You talk as if we are getting results and doing fine the way things are.  We aren't.  We finished 3rd.  Exactly where you would expect.  We had only one win in reality against Georgia at home and barely won that game. Our performances were poor to boot.  Worse McCarthy played with very little ambition.  Delighted to take a draw away to Georgia was embarrassing.  
Mick did well in his first stint where he brought through young players and got us playing attractive football and we used to beat most teams at home.  Now he is this conservative dinosaur afraid to blood anyone young and afraid to take any risks. 

And yes I am looking forward to Kenny. Not because he is a messiah. But he won;t talk down the team and say we should be delighted with draws away to Georgia.

Splitting hairs. You said you "don’t mind" Ireland losing if they played “correctly”.  You’ve covered all bases now. Ireland win ugly, lose ugly or draw ugly  - you have it covered. Ireland win “correctly”, lose “correctly” or draw “correctly” - well, that's covered too. Somehow, you'll be right. Congratulations in advance. 

Whatchu talkin bout Willis!

Are you as thick as your name suggests?

"I don't mind losing as long as we are positive and go about things correctly you eejit.  I can live with that.  I don't like us playing absolute rubbish and not playing to win and not winning."  

You construct that and tell me I'm thick. You're hoping we lose. 

If you took that fromt hat sentence then I feel sorry for you. Stay away from fire.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:05pm
There's some very self-righteous people on this forum!

Can't people have an opinion without being condescending? Seems to be lots of personal attacks here if people like/don't like Glenn Whelan, James McClean, Mick McCarthy etc.

And people getting lambasted for hoping we will play good football and get some results under Kenny. How dare you be so optimistic?!

We really are a grumpy bunch of ****s!

AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

That's fair enough. I do enjoy being pulled on my language as I comment about Mick McCarthy on the Mick McCarthy thread though. All the while on the same thread, Brazil 1982, Stephen Kenny's all attacking all winning style of football, FIFA 2020 football managers, all of these comments are left tip away unchallenged. Btw those comments are completely irrelevant and the height of moronic nonsense. I make no bones about that.

I mean on the James McCarthy thread, I was just asked how much I earned LOL. That is the level of guff I'm talking about and I think my language is actually apt in response to it.

The Switzerland lineup was indeed an utter joke. The one time he actually switches formations and he has Doherty on the bench and Stevens playing as a center back. All just to shoehorn McClean into the team. That game was essentially a free hit and we knew a draw or loss were useless before the kickoff. Our Mick decides the best way to motivate the team is to say he would be happy with a draw in the pre match press conference. How amateurish does one have to be to spout that drivel. He should have went with a very attacking lineup and if we lost heavily who cares we had Denmark to come anyway. Sorry if I’m venting but his comments yesterday with regards loyalty to the same players has irked me. I understand that you can’t make wholesale changes to the usual starting 11 or formation but you can definitely make 1-2 changes. It’s essentially going to be the same starting 11 that played against Denmark with Coleman probably replacing Doherty. As I said in my previous post I agree with the Coleman switch but James McCarthy or josh Cullen should replace Glenn Whelan.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:13pm
Mick is too set in his ways. It's his way or the highway, as per his arrogant attitude in his interviews.
I wouldn't mind but he doesn't really have anything to be patting himself on the back for.

I have the feeling he doesn't care enough. He cares but I think being a grandad and so close to retirement, this final gig is handy one for him to try and get that last moment in the sun before he puts the feet up for good.

His comments like, "Terry has been to see him", I got good reports, "I seen him playing for the U21's last month (and I am basing my judgement off that) etc. For me, these are all little signs that he is not doing enough to give himself all of the information to make the best informed decision.
I think someone like Kenny would seek out all the information. Now maybe mick is a better man manager or whatever but still, if he put a bit more effort in then I think he wouldn't be so off putting of other players or ideas for improvement 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:20pm
Mick wants another job after this, his happiness with draws, even against Georgia, as well his insistence on going for the same plan in Slovakia, proves that. If he hadn’t an eye on another job he may well be a little bit bolder.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:25pm
Yeah Trandy, I don’t think Mick has any intention of putting the slippers on. Not sure he has done himself any favours at this juncture though however. 

Edited by McG - 12 Feb 2020 at 7:25pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:27pm
I liked him in his first stint.  We played good football and could take anyone on.  Obviously the personnel was better but he himself was more attacking and willing to experiment more.  His last game in 2002 against the Swiss was a good example where he went all out for the win but got caught on the break.  I don't mind that. He was positive and willing to have a go to get the win.  Now he'd be settling for a draw and bringing on another central midfielder. Yeah he might get that draw but he'll never get the win doing that.

I am convinced Kenny will be so much more positive.  I hope the players respect him and buy into his plan and not look down on him like Kerr.

DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:24pm
Trap......that is exactly the worry I have with Stephen Kenny....he will be another Brian Kerr at senior international level ( super achievements obviously with under age)....I think I read in killers book that the players had a who’s this guy attitude.......Kenny’s one big plus is he might survive that fate as he will bring his under 21 lads with him so more familiar with methods etc.......for what it’s worth in my opinion Mick’s gonna do it the talk of negative sound bites should be ignored most of the men who he has managed will attest to superb man management and very positive attitude.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Yeah Trandy, I don’t think Mick has any intention of putting the slippers on. Not sure he has done himself any favours at this juncture though however. 

I think the modern game has passed him by. Managers need to be workaholics these days
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:53pm

I liked him in his first stint.  We played good football and could take anyone on.  Obviously the personnel was better but he himself was more attacking and willing to experiment more.  His last game in 2002 against the Swiss was a good example where he went all out for the win but got caught on the break.  I don't mind that. He was positive and willing to have a go to get the win.  Now he'd be settling for a draw and bringing on another central midfielder. Yeah he might get that draw but he'll never get the win doing that.

I am convinced Kenny will be so much more positive.  I hope the players respect him and buy into his plan and not look down on him like Kerr.
Kenny may never see the job if McCarthy flukes a qualification . He’ll have big Quinn pulling strokes!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:13am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Kenny may never see the job if McCarthy flukes a qualification . He’ll have big Quinn pulling strokes!

How I would love it to get to that. But unfortunately we don’t have the balls needed to go and take the game to Slovakia and we will limp out of the tournament I am pretty sure as you can’t keep doing the same things over and over again and expect different results. Maybe mick is starting to lose it a bit in his old age. 

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 4:33am

Are we biased in our views because of the briliant '02 qualifying campaign we had? I'm not old enough to properly remember the campaigns prior to that so don't remember the style of play.

Was he just lucky that he had a great group of players for the '02 campaign rather than the style of play he implemented?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 4:47am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Are we biased in our views because of the briliant '02 qualifying campaign we had? I'm not old enough to properly remember the campaigns prior to that so don't remember the style of play.

Was he just lucky that he had a great group of players for the '02 campaign rather than the style of play he implemented?

Tbf, he definitely played his part in how well we played in the '02 campaign. We had a serious group of quality footballers though so the pragmatic thing to do was to actually let them do what they are really good at. The question could be asked how much of that was down to McCarthy and how much to the players, and that's a difficult one to answer exactly.

He also had numerous cock ups in his first stint in charge though. Some truly ridiculous things like not knowing Spain were down to 10 men during extra time in our 02 world cup game. Playing Mark Kennedy in a completely unfamiliar role in a World Cup playoff vs Belgium and having to take him off before ht. The '04 qualifying campaign was horrid. We blew the '00 campaign completely with away results where we continuously played negative football in comparison to some great stuff at home. The list goes on and on.

There is a completely rose tinted view of McCarthys first stint with Ireland. That is down to a few things - captain of our breakthrough years under Charlton, manager in 02 where we played some great stuff, and a big one is people seem to love McCarthy. I'm not sure why, I never got it, but they do. With all this, people just forget some terrible low points under him previously.

I couldn't have been more against his appointment last year. I'll stand over that no matter how the play offs go. We had a golden opportunity over the past 2 years to start a rebuild and also qualify for a European Championship because of the comically convoluted Nations League format. We blew it. We're now further behind the curve than when Denmark trounced us over 2 years ago. Kenny has a massive job on his hands now and it will take a long time to correct the rights of the last few years imo. Looking at the consistent comments on here, I don't think he'll get the time to do what needs to be done. The pro McCarthy, anti LOI manager brigade will be hounding him out within months I reckon. 

Edited by Hans Moleman - 13 Feb 2020 at 4:52am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:22am

Trap Junior:

Please stop bellyaching about the current set-up. You're giving misery a bad name. McCarthy is not a great manager, but he's not the worst. We are certainly not a great team, but also not the worst. Those we face are no great shakes either. Very beatable. 

Mick's legacy is on the line - he'll have a red-hot go. Get behind the team or don't watch the matches. Stop saying you'd maybe prefer Ireland to lose. Your golden era under Kenny beckons. Then you'll be the dog that caught the car.

PS: Is your blood type B Negative?

Eh where did I say I'd prefer us to lose FFS?Confused
I said I don't mind losing as long as we are positive and go about things correctly you eejit.  I can live with that.  I don't like us playing absolute rubbish and not playing to win and not winning. 

You talk as if we are getting results and doing fine the way things are.  We aren't.  We finished 3rd.  Exactly where you would expect.  We had only one win in reality against Georgia at home and barely won that game. Our performances were poor to boot.  Worse McCarthy played with very little ambition.  Delighted to take a draw away to Georgia was embarrassing.  
Mick did well in his first stint where he brought through young players and got us playing attractive football and we used to beat most teams at home.  Now he is this conservative dinosaur afraid to blood anyone young and afraid to take any risks. 

And yes I am looking forward to Kenny. Not because he is a messiah. But he won;t talk down the team and say we should be delighted with draws away to Georgia.

Splitting hairs. You said you "don’t mind" Ireland losing if they played “correctly”.  You’ve covered all bases now. Ireland win ugly, lose ugly or draw ugly  - you have it covered. Ireland win “correctly”, lose “correctly” or draw “correctly” - well, that's covered too. Somehow, you'll be right. Congratulations in advance. 

Whatchu talkin bout Willis!

Are you as thick as your name suggests?

"I don't mind losing as long as we are positive and go about things correctly you eejit.  I can live with that.  I don't like us playing absolute rubbish and not playing to win and not winning."  

You construct that and tell me I'm thick. You're hoping we lose. 

If you took that fromt hat sentence then I feel sorry for you. Stay away from fire.

Your support for Ireland is conditional. Losing is acceptable if they play McCarthy's way. You said it. Own it. But at least give it 30 minutes before you don the Slovakian flag.

Who is this lad?LOL  Alan Hunter is that you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 104>
  Share Topic