You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 104>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:24pm
You can't announce a successor if you want an ambitious leader. Mick will never admit it but an undefeated run in the group would've been great for his next interview. If he was dreaming of another world cup he'd have gone for it against Georgia. 
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:29pm
 Only thing we can do now is hold fire until the Denmark game. We have to hope we win that, unlikely as it sounds.

Very disappointing today and Saturday but we've got a mulligan 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Only thing we can do now is hold fire until the Denmark game. We have to hope we win that, unlikely as it sounds.

Very disappointing today and Saturday but we've got a mulligan 

Who does he play for?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:42pm
Always thought those who.were praising him for our position in the group were premature and those captivating were also. But we have to win at home pull off a win and performance which is against the form book.  

If we fail to win our record of only beating.gilbraltar and.georgia and.home.is shocking and.deserving of the.sack anyway.

If we win we go to.the euros.and it's a decent achievement 
AKA pedantic kunt
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

You can't announce a successor if you want an ambitious leader. Mick will never admit it but an undefeated run in the group would've been great for his next interview. If he was dreaming of another world cup he'd have gone for it against Georgia. 

Said this on another thread on Saturday. MMs substitutions on Saturday so as to get a draw were motivated by the fact that a loss in that game, followed by a loss tonight, would have stopped him getting a championship gig. His contract is nearly up and, naturally, his mind is turning to the next gig.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:54pm
it has to be said that in 2017/2018 there were alot of ppl knocking MON and saying Mick McCarthy had done this and that for Ireland. Some of us countered that you couldnt compare them because the players Mick had in 2002 were of a much higher level than MON had available to him.

Mick coming back in to take over the current crop has enabled us to properly compare him to MON on a fairer level. 

Some people will have to revise their opinions of MON's achievements as Irish boss now.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

it has to be said that in 2017/2018 there were alot of ppl knocking MON and saying Mick McCarthy had done this and that for Ireland. Some of us countered that you couldnt compare them because the players Mick had in 2002 were of a much higher level than MON had available to him.

Mick coming back in to take over the current crop has enabled us to properly compare him to MON on a fairer level. 

Some people will have to revise their opinions of MON's achievements as Irish boss now.

The favourable recollection of Mick ca. 2002 comes from the same people who are loathe to recall the, em, not inconsiderable role in that success of he who must not be mentioned!

Edited by rebelbrowser - 15 Oct 2019 at 11:59pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:59pm
McCarthy was quick enough to praise the job he was doing as we were on top of the group pre tonight's game and unbeaten.

A complete false dawn given we had played Gibraltar and Georgia twice (still couldn't muster 12 points) and how poor our performances have been.

The man is a spoofer and I would bet any money most managers would have had that points tally after said amount of games, we deserved nothing away to Denmark and were blessed against Switzerland to a point.

Those two good results were down to luck, not a Mick Mc tactical masterclass like we he lead you to believe.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:01am
Well, MON did fairly well in his first three years in the job. The wins against Germany, Bosnia, Italy Wales and Austria being highlights. He picked a decent team, showed reasonable flexibility and made some good decisions that were laudable.

That changed in 2017. Getting one point against 10 men Wales and Serbia teams in Dublin, only getting a point against a beatable Austria team, the abomination of a performance in Tiblisi and the management decisions which culminated in a 5-1 defeat to Denmark. That doesn’t mention the horrendous 2018 year.

But MON had better players and a better squad available. Look at the Jack Byrne thread. A logical conclusion to the willingness of fans to talk up players who don’t play.

Edited by Het-field - 16 Oct 2019 at 12:03am
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It’s really awkward how slow and lethargic we are. Northern Ireland suffer from that too, and their days of getting results that get them to finals and play offs look numbered too.

Wow!

As someone who's seen all our qualifiers since Euro2016, I can only think you're confusing us with some other team.

Michael took us to France with a team built around a rock solid defence - McAuley, Hughes, Brunt, Evans, Cathcart, McGovern etc.

But with half of them retiring, he revamped the playing style, to reflect the next generation of players coming through - mostly attacking midfielders. This meant adopting a more attacking, even pressing game (except against the very best opposition away from home). And even allowing for this transition, we got to the p/o's for WC2018, like yourselves.

And now the new approach is bedded in, had we not got such a bastard of a group, we'd be set fair to qualify for Euro2020 automatically. In fact I'd go further: had we had your group, I honestly think we'd be through already.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:02am
We had The Derry Dinosaur aka MONonucleosis,aka Martin O-NIL and now we have Barnsley the Dinosaur
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

It’s really awkward how slow and lethargic we are. Northern Ireland suffer from that too, and their days of getting results that get them to finals and play offs look numbered too.

Wow!

As someone who's seen all our qualifiers since Euro2016, I can only think you're confusing us with some other team.

Michael took us to France with a team built around a rock solid defence - McAuley, Hughes, Brunt, Evans, Cathcart, McGovern etc.

But with half of them retiring, he revamped the playing style, to reflect the next generation of players coming through - mostly attacking midfielders. This meant adopting a more attacking, even pressing game (except against the very best opposition away from home). And even allowing for this transition, we got to the p/o's for WC2018, like yourselves.

And now the new approach is bedded in, had we not got such a bastard of a group, we'd be set fair to qualify for Euro2020 automatically. In fact I'd go further: had we had your group, I honestly think we'd be through already.

Hold up! Bosnia and Austria disposed of you easily in the Nations League. I've no doubt Denmark and Switzerland would beat you.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:09am

Wow!

I certainly haven’t seen it that way. And I said the days are numbered, i never said anything about 2017.

I wouldn’t even guarantee NI would beat Georgia.

Edited by Het-field - 16 Oct 2019 at 12:10am
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:14am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Wow!

Hold up! Bosnia and Austria disposed of you easily in the Nations League. I've no doubt Denmark and Switzerland would beat you.

Hold up yourself!

It was by no means "easy" for either Bosnia or Austria, nothing like it, in fact and we've improved since then.

As for Switzerland, they were plumb lucky in our play-off for Russia 2018, and Denmark?

They're not a patch on Germany or Netherlands, and we've run both of those hard this last month.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:18am
Keep it on topic lads, its the Mick McCarthy thread.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:50am
He has some massive calls to make for next month now. Molumby is better than Brown, Manning is better then Mclean, Long is better than Collins. 3 changes straight off the bat that would improve us
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:51am

Wow!

LOL Delusional.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:53am
Our last few managers have come into the job, while capable, with a mentality that sorts us out in the short term and leads us to stagnate in the long term. With Mick and MON, they've spent the previous couple of years in club management before the Ireland job at the wrong end of the table, on limited resources.

What that instils in you is risk-averse football. If we don't concede, if we are in the game at 60 or 70 minutes, we can nick one. That's the mentality. It's why Whelan is still in the midfield, its why McClean is still out wide, it's why decisions like Stevens being played out of position are made. 

It should hold, in theory, that Mick and MON have managed these players, or players to their similar calibre of ability and got the best out of them, therefore they should maximise this for Ireland. The problem arises with the fact that there is a substantially different mentality for the Ireland team than a relegation battling team. In an ideal world, out of this 8 game group, we would have been targeting 17/18 points. That means youre winning at least 5 of 8 games. You have to go out and look to win these games. The quality level varies widely. We've played a very good 2nd tier nation in Switzerland, and a tricky minnow in Georgia and approached them in the same, fighting for our lives fashion. No confidence, no finesse but maximum effort.

Michael O'Neill was used to being at the business end of the table with r*vers. This is his mindset. He goes out there with that NI team and sticks it to other teams with confidence in what they do and how they can execute their gameplan. Stephen Kenny's Dundalk side were all-conquering in Ireland. He's not used to losing, at least not recently. You see that in how we imposed ourselves on Italy U21 and he was disappointed with a draw.

These players winning praise in the Premier League, Stevens Hendrick Connolly Hourihane etc, they don't just transform into ordinary players overnight. But they do come into a setup with a completely different mentality that only inhibits them at the moment.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 104>
  Share Topic