You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 104>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:20am
Couple that with molumby, manning, crowley, knight, nathan collins, etc etc 

And there's a lot to be positive about 
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:47am
Forget James McCarthy FFS.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

You think we should write him off? 
He looks like he has earned himself a place in the palace team. He never displayed any lack of loyalty towards Ireland in the past. He is coming back from a career threatening injury and can be forgiven for wanting a bit more time to work on his fitness and establish himself at his new club.

I’m looking forward to welcoming him back, now he is back playing you would imagine he is pretty close to being back in.
I’d be happy to see him back in the squad already this week. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 06 Oct 2019 at 12:16pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:18pm
Always injured (some dubious) but when he has played he hasnt done enough. 
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Farrelk View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

You think we should write him off? 
He looks like he has earned himself a place in the palace team. He never displayed any lack of loyalty towards Ireland in the past. He is coming back from a career threatening injury and can be forgiven for wanting a bit more time to work on his fitness and establish himself at his new club.

I’m looking forward to welcoming him back, now he is back playing you would imagine he is pretty close to being back in.
I’d be happy to see him back in the squad already this week. 

If he can keep himself in this Palace team, he's a shoe in. Match fit, he is comfortably above some of our current midfielders
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:31pm

Always injured (some dubious) but when he has played he hasnt done enough. 

I’d actually like to see how he would do under mick and eventually Kenny. We played anti-football under the previous two.

I think he is a more naturally talented centre mid than our other options I think his main issues are his application of his talents. For example, I would have some doubts myself like avoiding passes and lacking aggression, but he has shown some flashes of brilliance and for me he could even be a leader. 

Ideally he can keep fit , get a run for palace who are looking good this year and some confidence together, he would be hard not to have in the team then. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:08pm
Good interview with Kimmage in the indo today.

His sense of decency, how he connects with players and his Ireland second coming - Paul Kimmage meets Mick McCarthy

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Good interview with Kimmage in the indo today.

His sense of decency, how he connects with players and his Ireland second coming - Paul Kimmage meets Mick McCarthy

Did lance armstrong come up?
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:09pm
"Then the season started and I thought something would happen in the September (international) break. Nothing. Or something would happen in the October break. Nothing - well, there were offers from two or three lower-league clubs but I thought, 'No, I think my place is at least in the Championship."

Nothing against Mick personally as he is a nice guy, and that comes across in the interview, but the fact that at best it was only lower than the Championship clubs looking to take him on after Ipswich says a lot. 

Edited by mully_85 - 06 Oct 2019 at 11:10pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

"Then the season started and I thought something would happen in the September (international) break. Nothing. Or something would happen in the October break. Nothing - well, there were offers from two or three lower-league clubs but I thought, 'No, I think my place is at least in the Championship."

Nothing against Mick personally as he is a nice guy, and that comes across in the interview, but the fact that at best it was only lower than the Championship clubs looking to take him on after Ipswich says a lot. 

Who said this 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Who said this 

That's him talking about getting offered the Sunderland job. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 12:18am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Who said this 

Dunno what you've been reading. Confused

Up til now our current Manager's job wasn't under threat and while at Ipswich he described Sunderland as 'Trying to tow an oil tanker with a dingy" 

Mick's stock isn't high at all despite the overachievement at Ipswich, the fossil style of football he deployed at Ipswich and now at Ireland doesn't make him ideal, and he's always been the type who does better under severe budget restraints (Sunderland and Ipswich) rather than the chunks of money Championship clubs are now churning out (More than he spent at Wolves and he failed there) so he wouldn't be suited to today's era of Championship football
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 12:45am
Got Wolves promoted, kept them in top flight for few seasons and weren't in relegation zone when given the sack. Like Allardyce his teams not great to watch but hardly failure at Wolves. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Who said this 

Dunno what you've been reading. Confused

Up til now our current Manager's job wasn't under threat and while at Ipswich he described Sunderland as 'Trying to tow an oil tanker with a dingy" 

Mick's stock isn't high at all despite the overachievement at Ipswich, the fossil style of football he deployed at Ipswich and now at Ireland doesn't make him ideal, and he's always been the type who does better under severe budget restraints (Sunderland and Ipswich) rather than the chunks of money Championship clubs are now churning out (More than he spent at Wolves and he failed there) so he wouldn't be suited to today's era of Championship football

This is the paragraph - if he's not talking about the Sunderland job then it's badly written:

"And it was everywhere that I was getting the Sunderland job. Then the season started and I thought something would happen in the September (international) break. Nothing. Or something would happen in the October break. Nothing - well, there were offers from two or three lower-league clubs but I thought, 'No, I think my place is at least in the Championship.'
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:39am
MM: Yeah, but I've had 970 games as a coach and as a manager, so I'd like to think that they would respect my knowledge on the game. I was given eight games to qualify for the Euros - not four years to bring players through - so those questions are nonsensical really. Should I play them instead of Jeff Hendrick who has been brilliant, and Conor (Hourihane) and Glenn (Whelan)? Because if I do, and we get beat, I can tell you the first question: "How could you play a debutant in a game against Georgia?"
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

MM: Yeah, but I've had 970 games as a coach and as a manager, so I'd like to think that they would respect my knowledge on the game. I was given eight games to qualify for the Euros - not four years to bring players through - so those questions are nonsensical really. Should I play them instead of Jeff Hendrick who has been brilliant, and Conor (Hourihane) and Glenn (Whelan)? Because if I do, and we get beat, I can tell you the first question: "How could you play a debutant in a game against Georgia?"

Nail on the head.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:48am

So he's choosing not to play them because he's afraid he might get asked an awkward question after losing to Georgia? He deserves to be asked awkward questions if we lose to Georgia, so he shouldn't be basing his player selection on that. Like you could just as easily flip the scenario and say "why didn't you play Connolly" if we lose to Georgia with a team full of established (but less talented) players, couldn't you?

For me it kind of sums up everything that has been wrong with Irish managers' approach over the last decade, conservatism taken to the point that it becomes suffocating.
We're decent enough..
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

So he's choosing not to play them because he's afraid he might get asked an awkward question after losing to Georgia? He deserves to be asked awkward questions if we lose to Georgia, so he shouldn't be basing his player selection on that. Like you could just as easily flip the scenario and say "why didn't you play Connolly" if we lose to Georgia with a team full of established (but less talented) players, couldn't you?

For me it kind of sums up everything that has been wrong with Irish managers' approach over the last decade, conservatism taken to the point that it becomes suffocating.

Yeah, he's fully concentrating on what questions he's likely to be asked and not concentrating on qualifying. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 104>
  Share Topic