Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 104>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 7:53am
He was. Again, I'm not sure what the issue is here, I haven't claimed that the country would go into open bloody revolt, merely that it would be unpopular with sections of the fan base. I think that's a fairly indisputable fact, but if anyone wants to live in lala land believing that it wouldn't annoy a fair few Scotland supporters, they can go right ahead.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:35am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Who honestly thought that after 5 games we would be unbeaten and top of the group?

What were the expectations of McCarthy when he took the job? that's a question people need to ask themselves, ideally before the campaign starts.

The objective is to qualify for Euro 2020 - who he plays and how he plays is kinda irrelevant, but gets used as a stick to beat the manager with.

One day it's Dan Crowley, the next it's Jack Byrne or Shane Long.

Mick so far is doing a very good job, the performance against Gib were not great at all, but we are improving albeit very slowly and more importantly we are getting some decent results along the way.

We have a great opportunity to qualify out of a pretty difficult group.

While the first bit in bold is valid, I think we should all remember that 2 of those games were against Gibraltar, so it makes it look better than it is.

But as for the second point, couldn't agree more. Surely people don't forget how bad things had gotten at the end of O'Neill's reign. Far more positivity around the squad now that before Mick came in, even though our squad contains a lot of inexperienced players. 

Qualification is in our own hands, and we all would have settled for that at the beginning of the campaign.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 9:02am
The same posters who will never let their opinion waver, even if they know its wrong,and they are wrong, 
is the same reason why bigotry is still alive and well on this Island.
I didnt want Mick back,I thought it would be an unmitigated disaster.Im glad to be proven wrong.
Imho opinion the football is of (albeit slight)better quality with arguably a weaker squad.
Sep 2017, away to Georgia they had 74% of the ball. I cant see it being anything near that next month.Players seem well drilled and confident on what their roll is.
Regardless who we have left to play in the group you cannot ask for more than top 
with 3 games left.Thumbs Up
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 9:10am
Ham, cheese and coleslaw.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 10:03am
You can’t fault Mick for what he has done so far. The performances have been better and the results are good.
The next 3 games will define if he has been successful or not.

We would have taken all those results so far if offered to us in the beginning.

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

You can’t fault Mick for what he has done so far. The performances have been better and the results are good.
The next 3 games will define if he has been successful or not.

We would have taken all those results so far if offered to us in the beginning.
Outside of the football, he also seems to have created a good spirit in the camp. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Ham, cheese and coleslaw.
LOL
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 11:57am
Sack him
daraghj82 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daraghj82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 3:25pm
some job done by mick so far even if the football is much the same under MON and roy, I would like to see him given another 2 years of the euro's if we qualify or not
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He was. Again, I'm not sure what the issue is here, I haven't claimed that the country would go into open bloody revolt, merely that it would be unpopular with sections of the fan base. I think that's a fairly indisputable fact, but if anyone wants to live in lala land believing that it wouldn't annoy a fair few Scotland supporters, they can go right ahead.

What section of our support would that be then ?
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

the only guy for Scotland is King Kenny.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by daraghj82 daraghj82 wrote:

some job done by mick so far even if the football is much the same under MON and roy, I would like to see him given another 2 years of the euro's if we qualify or not

What matches have you been watching? The style of football is very different. For a start we're not hoofing hail marys anymore. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

No, but Steve Clarke's (tenuous) "Taig" links provoked enough attention to suggest that Scotland still has a pretty visible sectarian faultline. I think the prospect of an Irish former Celtic player taking over would be more than enough to ruffle a few feathers.

Of course if some "oppressed", tin foil hat wearing, paranoid wacko, that lives in a bubble from the lunatic fringe of the Celtic support wants to spin lies that the Scotland support are all a bunch of bigots who hate Celtic and don't want any Catholics in our team then that's their sad wee problem and I can only pity them. 

Leave Tony out of this 
First thing I thoughtLOL
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 6:08pm

The sizeable section that hate Celtic/Irish people. The very same as the section of Irish society that hates Rangers/Unionists. You really are taking all of this very personally, I'm not sure why because is glaringly obvious to everyone that there are plenty of people like this in Scottish society. That is not to say Scottish society as a whole is like this, which is how you have chosen to interpret it for whatever reason.
We're decent enough..
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 6:44pm

The sizeable section that hate Celtic/Irish people. The very same as the section of Irish society that hates Rangers/Unionists. You really are taking all of this very personally, I'm not sure why because is glaringly obvious to everyone that there are plenty of people like this in Scottish society. That is not to say Scottish society as a whole is like this, which is how you have chosen to interpret it for whatever reason.

Your making the extremely lazy assumption that absolutely everybody in Scotland supports the national team. 

They don't. Can you not understand that ?

I don't remember seeing any red hands of Ulster or singing about the walls of Derry or anything like that last Friday at Hampden.

If you don't like us, well I can't help that. Personally I love the Irish. That's my last word on the subject.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 7:30pm

Your making the extremely lazy assumption that absolutely everybody in Scotland supports the national team. 

They don't. Can you not understand that ?

I don't remember seeing any red hands of Ulster or singing about the walls of Derry or anything like that last Friday at Hampden.

If you don't like us, well I can't help that. Personally I love the Irish. That's my last word on the subject.

Again, you seem to just be wilfully misinterpreting me. I have absolutely no problem with the Scots, but it's facile to try and suggest that there aren't many Scots who have a problem with us. I'm not saying you, or indeed most, do, but there are still plenty for whom Irishness is distasteful. I'm not saying anything more or less than that.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:24pm
This may be the most ridiculous argument in the history of the internet! Sheasy, who stole your cream bun? You are extra cranky this week! 
Crosby87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosby87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Sheasy, who stole your cream bun?

It was nicked by a seagull and he said "Ooch aye!" but in fairness that Scotsman did nay help him get it back. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 104>
  Share Topic