Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 104>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:49pm
Who honestly thought that after 5 games we would be unbeaten and top of the group?

What were the expectations of McCarthy when he took the job? that's a question people need to ask themselves, ideally before the campaign starts.

The objective is to qualify for Euro 2020 - who he plays and how he plays is kinda irrelevant, but gets used as a stick to beat the manager with.

One day it's Dan Crowley, the next it's Jack Byrne or Shane Long.

Mick so far is doing a very good job, the performance against Gib were not great at all, but we are improving albeit very slowly and more importantly we are getting some decent results along the way.

We have a great opportunity to qualify out of a pretty difficult group.

Edited by horsebox - 12 Sep 2019 at 3:50pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What does Mick have to do to get some credit? It wasn’t his fault he was appointed and given a remit of qualification! People on about beating teams of note! We have possibly the worst squad in our history! It’s atrocious! And yet he has kept us in with a shout with three games to go.
I said before the campaign that if we qualify they should build a statue of him, that hasn’t changed.

I don't disagree. We won't qualify. 

We most certainly won't qualify by trying not to win games though. That is what McCarthy has brought. Those tactics and that mindset. I most definitely won't applaud him for that.

We might not have been going all out to win the games vs Denmark and the Swiss but we have successfully avoid defeat in both. Did you honestly expect us to avoid defeat in both those games? Given the dearth in quality and/or available players on both occasions I absolutely expected a loss in Copenhagen and thought a defeat in Dublin to the Swiss was more likely than not.

I'm not really sure why you are so vehemently anti-McCarthy. There almost appears to be a slight level of delusion on your part in terms of how good our current pool of talent is. As PM rightly points out this is, on paper at least, the worst side we have had in a long, long time.

Slight?? 
LOL the forum says black, the oracle says we don’t know our colours
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:17pm
Mick has done everything asked of him thus far, 3 huge games coming up we can be fairly optimistic, well all bar 3 of us anyway
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:20pm
2 posts in a row and the Doc hasn't accused anyone of shoite talking.

You feeling okay bro.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:31pm
My main criticism of Mick would be the midfield to be honest, but I think he's been robbed a bit of players he might have wanted to start so far, specifically thinking of Browne. He was pretty vocal about how much he liked him prior to the Gib game and Browne got injured. I've a feeling he might start the next day out. Mick has his blind spots with certain players and that, every manager does. At least it looks like the players know what is being asked of them. It's sad that that is an upgrade, but there you have it. 

Hourihane would've been told he was playing left back against Bulgaria an hour before kickoff. So yes, Mick is a vast improvement. 

The general situation and goal (one campaign, get us qualified) lends itself to a conservatism anyway. Mick has his own managerial reputation to think about, and I think no matter how it pans out from here on, he'll have done himself no harm in getting work after the Ireland job. Imagine if he'd gone all out trying to beat the Swiss at home, we'd have been picked off and a big 3 goal defeat at home wouldn't do anyone any good.

I don't think he owes us anything and being honest, I've enjoyed the games a lot more in the past year. I'm surprised some people think we're still playing muck. It's obvious to me that they're trying to play a bit, especially out from the back, but the lads are limited enough and we know that. But you can see them trying a bit more rather than just hoofing it automatically. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

You feeling okay bro.
LOL saving it till the holy trinity starts shoiting outa him later then crying for the mods to stop the big bad doc from showing him up for what he is, a bully a liar a fraud and a liar oh and full of shoite did I say liar
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:41pm
No problem with Mick. He is doing well so far but he really needs to end his Alan Judge fetish.
The only way is up
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

No problem with Mick. He is doing well so far but he really needs to end his Alan Judge fetish.

JUDGEY LOL
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:04pm
Very harsh criticism of Mick on here. He is doing a very good job, considering the players at his disposal.
People have short memories. Not even a year ago since the mood on here was downbeat about our chances. I remember pre madonna predicting with absolute confidence that Ireland would be competing with Georgia for 3rd place, and that Ireland would lose that battle.
We are top of the group. People need to be reminded of how low things were before Mick took the job. His job is to take us to the Euros, by whatever means.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:12pm
It’s not a big thing but I like the way Mick gave both goalkeepers a game on Tuesday. Thought it was good man management. 

Edited by VanBosch - 12 Sep 2019 at 5:22pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:34pm
I thought we would finish third I am sure, don’t think I said we would have finished fourth, more that we would be closer to fourth than second. Still, we are miles ahead of where I thought. He is overachieving greatly and deserves credit; long may it continue!
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:44pm
Hugely overachieving given the rabble he inherited. Even if we don't beat Denmark or Switzerland and qualify as runners up, he will have managed to get the results that will achieve that. Tables never lie. 

Also, don't underestimate the importance financially to the FAI that we qualify.
The 10 year season tickets are now up again and need to be sold just as they were in the economy collapse years of '09 &'10. They sold them then because the team was on the up with Trap, just as they are now.
Lest anyone forgets, we still owe a bloody fortune of stadium debt.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What does Mick have to do to get some credit? It wasn’t his fault he was appointed and given a remit of qualification! People on about beating teams of note! We have possibly the worst squad in our history! It’s atrocious! And yet he has kept us in with a shout with three games to go.
I said before the campaign that if we qualify they should build a statue of him, that hasn’t changed.

I don't disagree. We won't qualify. 

We most certainly won't qualify by trying not to win games though. That is what McCarthy has brought. Those tactics and that mindset. I most definitely won't applaud him for that.

You have clogged up this thread with the same sh*te. We get it you don't like him or the football he plays. For the love of God give over.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Hugely overachieving given the rabble he inherited. Even if we don't beat Denmark or Switzerland and qualify as runners up, he will have managed to get the results that will achieve that. Tables never lie. 

Also, don't underestimate the importance financially to the FAI that we qualify.
The 10 year season tickets are now up again and need to be sold just as they were in the economy collapse years of '09 &'10. They sold them then because the team was on the up with Trap, just as they are now.
Lest anyone forgets, we still owe a bloody fortune of stadium debt.

I thought we were close to paying that off hence the current cash flow problems and lack of investment?
If we are still loaded with debt it really brings their actions to the level of embezzlement, Their go to excuse was the stadium and 2020 debt free.

As an aside I've been told about the trinations u21 tournament here in Cork way back. Italy,Germany and ourselves took part if I'm not mistaken. It was a 3 day event where they basically booked out the hotel (Rochestown park hotel) for 50+ FAI officials and families where not one put the hand in the pocket all week. Food drink etc Its one of the most expensive hotels in the country. 

In my gut I think most of them are going to survive.

Mick succeeding may just incentivise more degeneracy going forward which really brings my rage to the fore because a part of me would say f*** it lets not qualify and watch them all burn, as counter productive to actual football success in the country as that is.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

You feeling okay bro.
LOL
Crosby87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosby87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:58pm
USA should name Mick manager. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:16pm
Don’t think we are overachieving or underachieving by our results so far.  We have often got draws away from home and at home. All will be revealed if we win 2 of the last 3 games then we will have overachieved. 
AKA pedantic kunt
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:54pm
What limited sides like us go out and play brilliant football and regularly beat higher ranked sides? I can't think of any.

Mick has done a decent job. Not an amazing job, by no means a bad job. A decent job so far. He's kept us consistent, picking up the results we need.

I said it before and I'll say it again, there's a lot to be said and credit due for that consistency in international football. We hear a lot about "relying  on Georgia to do us a favour"  but given that it keeps happening, is it not that other teams around our level or better than us simply can't reliably get results and that's why we've gotten into playoff positions ahead of Scotland, Wales, Austria and now have an advantage over Denmark? 

When we drop points in Georgia once - we are sh*te.

When 3 other teams do it in 3 campaigns we've been in with them - fluke.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 12 Sep 2019 at 7:54pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 104>
  Share Topic