You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 104>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What does Mick have to do to get some credit? It wasn’t his fault he was appointed and given a remit of qualification! People on about beating teams of note! We have possibly the worst squad in our history! It’s atrocious! And yet he has kept us in with a shout with three games to go.
I said before the campaign that if we qualify they should build a statue of him, that hasn’t changed.

This is right. He deserves respect as one of our all-time greats and for coming back when we need him most
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I’d hate to see the reaction on here if and when Mick loses a game

I look forward to the reaction on here when we win a game of real note. Something we haven't looked any way capable of, or interested in attempting to do since McCarthy took over.

Just on the steadying of the ship. The ship was steadied the moment MON was sacked. That was it. Ship steadied. Did people think if Stephen Kenny or anyone else came in instead of McCarthy there would still be lads leaking WhatsApp messages and having wat with the Irish assistant manager?

It's just another nod from lads who love McCarthy when really nothing of note has been done by McCarthy on that front.

Many on here were saying Georgia at home was a tough game and that they were a dangerous side. So surely that is a game of note

3 games of note played, won 1, drawn 2.
Of the two drawn both were against teams ranked higher than us, a home draw against the top seeds in the group and an away draw against the second seeds.
Hardly time for panic or mass criticism.

Jack Charlton got the freedom of Ireland for drawing against higher ranked teams!

I guess we'll see how it all plays out. Maybe 2 or 3 draws in our remaining games will see us through. Fair play to McCarthy is that does happen, it will put the comments of Trapatoni or MON being lucky at times well and truly in the shade if that does play out that way.

We have shown nothing against the Swiss or Danes to show there's a win there in future for us. We played not to lose. That's where we are under McCarthy and for some reason many are lauding him for these really grim tactics.

Btw, fair play for using Georgia as a win of note. I tip my cap to you sir.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:20pm

What does Mick have to do to get some credit? It wasn’t his fault he was appointed and given a remit of qualification! People on about beating teams of note! We have possibly the worst squad in our history! It’s atrocious! And yet he has kept us in with a shout with three games to go.
I said before the campaign that if we qualify they should build a statue of him, that hasn’t changed.

I don't disagree. We won't qualify. 

We most certainly won't qualify by trying not to win games though. That is what McCarthy has brought. Those tactics and that mindset. I most definitely won't applaud him for that.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Also, I’d like to hear a satisfactory alternative? As has been said above, think about the entire apparatus of Irish football in 2018. I appreciate the second half of 1995 and 2012 were bad, but in over a quarter of a centenary following the Irish team, I have never been as despondent about the whole thing, nor have I ever held close to the level of dislike for the people at the top. Between player defections, games without attacking, embarrassments at organisational level, and four goals all year, there was nothing in The way of redemption . A lot has changed in the past 12 months, and for the better.

I agree with all of the above, except I believe we are very much still in that dark place. As dark as we were 12 months ago imo.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:22pm
May be an unpopular opinion, but I haven't found the football played under Mick bad, bar the Gibraltar game away.

Its certainly an improvement on O'Neill. Less long aimless balls from the full backs to a target man.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

This is right. He deserves respect as one of our all-time greats and for coming back when we need him most

I agree. He turned down offers from huge clubs all over Europe to take the gig. Saint Mick. He is on a tenth of the wage he could have been at those huge clubs.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:28pm
If we go all out against these teams we will get mullered! There are better teams than us, with better players that are technically capable, who are struggling to qualify for a tournament that nearly half the entrants qualify for! McCarthy was given a remit and if he achieves that he deserves huge credit.

Now, I agree that this campaign was an opportunity to blood players etc., but you cannot blame Mick for that. As it happens, the FAI May have accidentally stumbled into success as the 21s develop together and we may qualify for this Frankenstein of a tournament. 
I still think the odds are against us, but it looks a lot more likely now than before a ball was kicked. You can also talk about luck, but a league table doesn’t lie and if we get second, miraculously, we will have deserved it and he will deserve credit. I thought we would be out by now and he has, thus far, proved me, and you Hans, though you won’t admit it, wrong.

Edited by pre Madonna - 12 Sep 2019 at 2:29pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:28pm
Hans, it’s lauded because we are patently deficient at playing level. Our midfield last week was comprised of players who have been benchwarming, unattached (until shortly before the game), and a player being played out of position at Club level. Our subs comprised of a League 1 player, and a player who has never replicated his top goalscoring season, and has become something of a journeyman.

With Brady, Doherty, McCarthy, Arter and Long injured or out of practice you have very little alternative beyond that. You have to make do, and you wouldn’t get away with the MON 2018 brad of football as the team isn’t robust enough, or unlike in Trapp’s era we don’t have the wingers.

This is being tightly controlled for a reason. Look at Wales, players from Real Madrid, Juventus, Anderlecht, Manchester United, Spurs, and that’s before you get to the £30 Million pair from Bournemouth, or Harry Wilson. Four games, two losses and the Azerbaijan game could have been a total disaster without the flappy defence. The Scots, even with the likes of McGinn, McTominay and Robertson are light years behind us in terms of results. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:32pm
In fairness HF, the Scottish team has no central defence and a lack of goals. They have some very tidy midfielders alright though. Wales are underperforming with a very tidy bunch of technically proficient players. Giggs is possibly their Stan.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:34pm

If we go all out against these teams we will get mullered! There are better teams than us, with better players that are technically capable, who are struggling to qualify for a tournament that nearly half the entrants qualify for! McCarthy was given a remit and if he achieves that he deserves huge credit.

Now, I agree that this campaign was an opportunity to blood players etc., but you cannot blame Mick for that. As it happens, the FAI May have accidentally stumbled into success as the 21s develop together and we may qualify for this Frankenstein of a tournament. 
I still think the odds are against us, but it looks a lot more likely now than before a ball was kicked. You can also talk about luck, but a league table doesn’t lie and if we get second, miraculously, we will have deserved it and he will deserve credit. I thought we would be out by now and he has, thus far, proved me, and you Hans, though you won’t admit it, wrong.

I most definitely will not give credit for what has gone on so far. We are very much still playing the non football of the previous year or 2. The difference now being that the players are trying and the majority of supporters have great time for McCarthy unlike MON. The football has been absolute poison for the most part and the final table will tell the real tale.

You cannot qualify for a tournament when you have no aspiration to win most football matches. That is on McCarthy, not the quality of our players. You can be positive with limited players - how many other limited nation's actually try to win games? Nobody is on about trying to play like Brazil, a favourite saying on here recently.

Imo besides, the Georgia home game where we pressed a bit higher, there has been little change at all in how we are playing. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:36pm

We most certainly won't qualify by trying not to win games though. That is what McCarthy has brought. Those tactics and that mindset. I most definitely won't applaud him for that.

We might not have been going all out to win the games vs Denmark and the Swiss but we have successfully avoid defeat in both. Did you honestly expect us to avoid defeat in both those games? Given the dearth in quality and/or available players on both occasions I absolutely expected a loss in Copenhagen and thought a defeat in Dublin to the Swiss was more likely than not.

I'm not really sure why you are so vehemently anti-McCarthy. There almost appears to be a slight level of delusion on your part in terms of how good our current pool of talent is. As PM rightly points out this is, on paper at least, the worst side we have had in a long, long time.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Hans, it’s lauded because we are patently deficient at playing level. Our midfield last week was comprised of players who have been benchwarming, unattached (until shortly before the game), and a player being played out of position at Club level. Our subs comprised of a League 1 player, and a player who has never replicated his top goalscoring season, and has become something of a journeyman.

With Brady, Doherty, McCarthy, Arter and Long injured or out of practice you have very little alternative beyond that. You have to make do, and you wouldn’t get away with the MON 2018 brad of football as the team isn’t robust enough, or unlike in Trapp’s era we don’t have the wingers.

This is being tightly controlled for a reason. Look at Wales, players from Real Madrid, Juventus, Anderlecht, Manchester United, Spurs, and that’s before you get to the £30 Million pair from Bournemouth, or Harry Wilson. Four games, two losses and the Azerbaijan game could have been a total disaster without the flappy defence. The Scots, even with the likes of McGinn, McTominay and Robertson are light years behind us in terms of results. 

For all of that, the Scots have as a good a chance as making the Euros as us imo. The Welsh have a far better chance than us of making the Euros, even with an absolute turnip of a manager in charge of them.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:36pm

In fairness HF, the Scottish team has no central defence and a lack of goals. They have some very tidy midfielders alright though. Wales are underperforming with a very tidy bunch of technically proficient players. Giggs is possibly their Stan.

You can’t help but feel that the Scots should be able to put in a strong and robust showing especially with the right calibration. Much like our right back conundrum, Robertson and Tierney being in the same position really doesn’t help. McBurnie May also overtake McGoldrick.

I totally agree about Wales. You feel they need really top class manager and they could get the best out of that team.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

We might not have been going all out to win the games vs Denmark and the Swiss but we have successfully avoid defeat in both. Did you honestly expect us to avoid defeat in both those games? Given the dearth in quality and/or available players on both occasions I absolutely expected a loss in Copenhagen and thought a defeat in Dublin to the Swiss was more likely than not.

I'm not really sure why you are so vehemently anti-McCarthy. There almost appears to be a slight level of delusion on your part in terms of how good our current pool of talent is. As PM rightly points out this is, on paper at least, the worst side we have had in a long, long time.

As PM says LOL I've been saying our playing pool needs to in the main replaced for the past 12 months or more. I'm well aware of our deficits.

I won't give McCarthy credit for using the same lads, and just going about games trying not to lose, with no aspiration at all to win those games. It stinks of MON reign. It is amazing that people credit him for things they absolutely belittled MON for.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:46pm
Sorry Hans, but right now, who can we actually replace with who? I appreciate that we have Brady, McCarthy, Long, Arter, and Westwood waiting in the wings. But they were injured or returning from injury or not playing.

The Under 21s is not a satisfactory answer. I’m delighted how well they are doing. It’s fantastic to see and bodes well for the future, but we still need to see them at top level. Masterson has played sporadically at QPR, Molumby has been loaned out, Kilkenny is coming to the attention of fans, Luka Connell and Lee O’Conner are still raw and Lennon hasn’t used the former much in the first team. Parrott is likes by Poch, but he has yet to play a first team match. The decision by Klopp to sign Lonergan would also suggest Kelleher is not ready yet. McCarthy is also right to let the 21s develop, especially when we have many players who are much of a
Muchness available to us.

After that, your getting into the likes of Kelly, Crowley, Manning etc. And there is no reason to believe they would vastly improve the squad.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Slight?? 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:35pm
have to laugh at the negativity on here. Hasn't won a game of note.  Flip it around and he's unbeaten.  We are playing well enough considering the utter utter dross in our team. Because England are doing so well certain people think we should be at their level or something. Same lads with zero interest in domestic football because its not as good as the epl. We have a few at harps that call for Ollie's head after every loss despite the amazing job he is doing.  We mightnt look great to watch but compare us to many nations around our level atm and we're doing as well as we can hope. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

have to laugh at the negativity on here. Hasn't won a game of note.  Flip it around and he's unbeaten.  We are playing well enough considering the utter utter dross in our team. Because England are doing so well certain people think we should be at their level or something. Same lads with zero interest in domestic football because its not as good as the epl. We have a few at harps that call for Ollie's head after every loss despite the amazing job he is doing.  We mightnt look great to watch but compare us to many nations around our level atm and we're doing as well as we can hope. 

In a nutshell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 104>
  Share Topic