You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 104>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Just to highlight our decline as a footballing nation, Mick's first squad first time round. Not many League 2 players here. Shay Given was later called up to make his debut.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND SQUAD (v Russia, Dublin, 27 March): A Kelly (Sheff Utd), Bonner (Celtic), Irwin (Man Utd), G Kelly (Leeds), Kenna (Blackburn), McGrath (Aston Villa), Babb (Liverpool), Phelan (Chelsea), Staunton (Aston Villa), McGoldrick (Arsenal), Houghton (Crystal Palace), Kernaghan (Man City), McAteer (Liverpool), Keane (Man Utd), Townsend (Aston Villa), Sheridan (Sheff Wed), McLoughlin (Portsmouth), Quinn (Man City), Aldridge (Tranmere), Coyne (Motherwell), Cascarino (Marseille), Milligan (Norwich), Morris (Middlesbrough), Daish (Coventry).

I remember those days.Villa were every Irish fans second team. I think we also had a 4th player at villa around that time? I don't remember Milligan of Norwich at all though?
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

Mick came across well as always . A class act. 

Looking at that squad Liam Daish above  , now there’s a blast from the past . 
Played for us in 92 then no more caps until 96.  How many other Irish players went through a gap like that ?
He is a cult hero at Cambridge United. They love him!
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Just to highlight our decline as a footballing nation, Mick's first squad first time round. Not many League 2 players here. Shay Given was later called up to make his debut.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND SQUAD (v Russia, Dublin, 27 March): A Kelly (Sheff Utd), Bonner (Celtic), Irwin (Man Utd), G Kelly (Leeds), Kenna (Blackburn), McGrath (Aston Villa), Babb (Liverpool), Phelan (Chelsea), Staunton (Aston Villa), McGoldrick (Arsenal), Houghton (Crystal Palace), Kernaghan (Man City), McAteer (Liverpool), Keane (Man Utd), Townsend (Aston Villa), Sheridan (Sheff Wed), McLoughlin (Portsmouth), Quinn (Man City), Aldridge (Tranmere), Coyne (Motherwell), Cascarino (Marseille), Milligan (Norwich), Morris (Middlesbrough), Daish (Coventry).

I remember those days.Villa were every Irish fans second team. I think we also had a 4th player at villa around that time? I don't remember Milligan of Norwich at all though?

Milligan was yer classic one-cap wonder. A single appearance against the USA in a friendly. Also played for Oldham and Everton.

If you're talking about a fifth Aston Villa player, Gareth Farrelly was around at about that time. Later made public his bullying ordeal whilst at Villa at the hands of Kevin McDonald. He's now a lawyer.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:11pm
I remember mick Milligan well . There was a clamour for him to play for us for a while . Would easily get into the team now
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:13pm

Played for us in 92 then no more caps until 96.  How many other Irish players went through a gap like that ?

Wes ? 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Mick on the late late now

He got a great reception on the show. There is a lot of genuine warmth for him.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Was there at time of John Beck who got the U's to an FA Cup Quarter-Final and 5th place finish in the old Second Division where they got to the Play-Off Semi-Final (they would have won a place in the newly-formed Premier League had they gone all the way). I think he put the entire squad on the transfer list when they failed.

A proponent of the long ball game - a man after Big Jack's own heart - apparently he put sand in the corners so the ball would hold up better! Later got a prominent role at the FA. And they wonder why so many years have passed since England last won a trophy...
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:24pm
Anyone know when this'll be on the RTE Player?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:25pm

Was there at time of John Beck who got the U's to an FA Cup Quarter-Final and 5th place finish in the old Second Division where they got to the Play-Off Semi-Final (they would have won a place in the newly-formed Premier League had they gone all the way). I think he put the entire squad on the transfer list when they failed.

A proponent of the long ball game - a man after Big Jack's own heart - apparently he put sand in the corners so the ball would hold up better! Later got a prominent role at the FA. And they wonder why so many years have passed since England last won a trophy...
Yeah, that's General Beck. He was up to all sorts, but it nearly got them to the first EPL. What might have been! I could be watching an EPL game tomorrow in a Lego stadium, instead of Paul Scholes' mob in a proper one!
A decent summary of his time at the U's.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:34pm

Yeah, that's General Beck. He was up to all sorts, but it nearly got them to the first EPL. What might have been! I could be watching an EPL game tomorrow in a Lego stadium, instead of Paul Scholes' mob in a proper one!
A decent summary of his time at the U's.

Interesting article. I'd forgotten it was Cambridge Manchester United signed Dublin from. Didn't know Claridge played there. I remember Kimble as a left-back at Wimbledon. Decent player. They had a good team in those days. The glory days if you're a U's fan, I guess.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:44pm
Most definitely! Claridge’s autobiography, which is mentioned in that piece, is well worth reading. He is a very interesting character, it’s a shame it didn’t translate to punditry.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:45pm
T
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Wes ? 

Gary Waddock also 
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:51pm

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:58pm

Stephen Gleeson played in 2007 under Staunton. Didn't get another call up for nine years.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Cheers man. I just need a good VPN so I can watch from the UK.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Stephen Gleeson played in 2007 under Staunton. Didn't get another call up for nine years.

Seen that , and he’s only 30! 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 12:04am

I thought you'd know the answer. Alex Stevenson famously had to wait 14 years between his first and second caps (1932 to 1946) but that's an ancient history.

Do you have a list of Ireland's oldest debutantes? Asking because if Amond were to make his, he'd be close to 31. Especially outfield players. I know Slaven and Coyne were 29 when they made theirs. Shaun Williams must be up there.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 09 Mar 2019 at 12:08am
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 12:10am

Seen that , and he’s only 30! 

Colin Doyle was another that made his debut under Staunton in 2007, didnt get another call up for 9 years and didnt get a second cap until last year, 11 years after his first. Also still only 32!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 104>
  Share Topic