Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 104>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Yes Irwin got 2 yellows and missed the Norway match.

Received 2nd yellow against Mexico for time wasting taking a throw in when we were a goal down 😆.

I was at that game .Irwin had a nightmare. At fault for one of the goals if not both. Gary Kelly had a better World Cup in 94. Irwin was a better player overall but Kelly was class back then. One of the few who could keep Giggs quiet in the league. 
I guess Irwin had proved himself to not be up to the task?
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:20am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Jack Charlton dropped Denis Irwin for the World Cup last 16 game against Holland in Orlando. 
Irwin was fcuked from the heat.
Jack went for the younger, faster option to keep tabs on Overmars.

Am I wrong in saying that Irwin got 2 yellows and missed our last group game against Norway where we got a clean sheet. So Jack stuck with Phelan and Kelly for the next game. Think that's how it played out. That's not imo to excuse Irwin being ever dropped for us, a truly top class player - just giving Charltons scenario there some context.

On a more interesting note, if Charlton f.airyed up in peoples eyes by dropping Irwin, does that mean there can't be anything wrong with McCarthy doing similar? Absolutely bizarre logic from Micks fanboys there.

As is the logic that if you think that McCarthy shouldn't be next or near the Irish job that all of your criticsms of McCarthy stem from Saipan. Such an embarrassing and childish argument being wheeled out. I wonder was it Saipan that made the Ipswich fans run MCCarthy out of town?
Jack Charlton didn't pick Irwin in a World Cup knockout match

Mick didn't start Irwin in a friendly match.

Do you see the difference between these things?

I'll explain it to you anyway.

A World Cup knockout match is very important. 

A friendly is not important. A friendly is there for experimenting.

I await your myopic vilifying of Jack Charlton.

Did the FAI just appoint Jack as Ireland manager? Did I miss something?

You do understand that what MON, Staunton, Kerr, or Jack have ever done have no place in a conversation about who our new manager will be. Does Staunton putting Paddy Kenny in goal also paint Mick in a positive light?

I know, let's call him Saint Mick. The Saint of never having done a single thing wrong.

Btw - still not a single word on McCArthy not knowing we were playing against 10 men in a WC last 16 game LOL Did that ever happen to Jack? Actually did that ever happen to anyone else in football, genuine question.

The silence is deafening on that one.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 24 Nov 2018 at 1:22am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:21am
A lot of discussion about Mick but he was one of the most experienced of the rumoured available names. A lower EPL / Championship manager for the last 15 years and there's never been a year when he wasn't managing a team.

It's to his credit too that he only managed three clubs during that period. It suggests he gets on well with owners, players and fans.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:24am

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Played a full back who'd been playing Champions league football the previous season and European football 3 years on the bounce and 5 of the previous 7 ahead of a Fulham player. Oh, the humanity!
Finnan was voted best right full in the EPL that season.

Also the McAteer debacle against Cameroon.

Is that your criteria for picking the team? LOL

Gary Kelly had won that award twice by then and had far more European and international experience. That count for nothing? 

As for McAteer, hugely important player who had been as responsible as anyone for qualifying us takes a gamble on his fitness. It's hardly unusual.  in fact, it's common.Was that the reason we conceded?

Genuine question, are you a Man U fan?
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:24am
Of the last 17 Sunderland managers, I wonder which one has the highest win ratio?

Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:24am
Hans will ya piss off. I dont want to have to listen to you banging on replying to every single post with your anti mccarthy bullsh*t. Its already tiresome i have to say.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

A lot of discussion about Mick but he was one of the most experienced of the rumoured available names. A lower EPL / Championship manager for the last 15 years and there's never been a year when he wasn't managing a team.

It's to his credit too that he only managed three clubs during that period. It suggests he gets on well with owners, players and fans.

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy says he gives no credit to 'mindless idiot' fans

10 seconds of research will point you to how it finished at Wolves. They absolutely ran him, as they did at Ipswich. Difference is Ipswich weren't silly enough to let him sign on a load of bog standard players on massive contracts that left the club in massive debt and dropping down a couple of decisions.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Hans will ya piss off. I dont want to have to listen to you banging on replying to every single post with your anti mccarthy bullsh*t. Its already tiresome i have to say.

I won't. How about you piss off.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:28am

Of the last 17 Sunderland managers, I wonder which one has the highest win ratio?

Still not a murmur about Spain '02 10 men debacle.

Ok lets start with an easy one for ya - Mark Kennedy World Cup '98 playoff first leg debacle. Thoughts?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:29am

Ok lets start with an easy one for ya - Mark Kennedy World Cup '98 playoff first leg debacle. Thoughts?
Why are you going on like a Trump-loving mentalist on Fox News? Big smile
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:31am

Here a thought. Who gives a fcuk what happened 20 years ago. Your stuck in the past. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:31am

Why are you going on like a Trump-loving mentalist on Fox News? Big smile

No answer. That will do me Thumbs Up
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Here a thought. Who gives a fcuk what happened 20 years ago. Your stuck in the past. 

I'm so tempted to put 1000 laughing emojis here. But I won't because lads get precious over such things.

That post definitely deserves 1000 derogatory laughing emojis though.

And it's you're or you are.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:37am
Average goals per game as Ireland manager:

Mick McCarthy: 1.72
Jack Charlton: 1.36
Martin O'Neill: 1.36
Stephen Staunton: 1.35
Giovanni Trapattoni: 1.34
Johnny Giles: 1.28
Brian Kerr: 1.18
Eoin Hand: 1.17
Liam Tuohy: 1.10
Mick Meagan: 0.58

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:42am

There were a more whipping boys back in McCarthy time. 5-0 against Lichtenstein twice. Similar enough with San Marino. Weaker sides have closed the gap 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:50am
Fact: Mick McCarthy's 2002 team scored twice as many goals as any other Ireland team has ever managed at a major finals and at least three times more goals than four of Ireland's major tournament teams.

They were also the only Ireland team to ever end up with a positive tournament goal difference (+3) and the only Ireland team to not lose a match in a major finals tournament.

In 16 matches in the 2002 World Cup campaign, Ireland only lost one - a meaningless 1-0 reverse in garbage time in Iran which qualified us for the finals. 

Mick McCarthy's men took on and faced down the might of Germany, Holland, Spain and Portugal - undefeated, unbowed.

Glory days indeed. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:52am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

There were a more whipping boys back in McCarthy time. 5-0 against Lichtenstein twice. Similar enough with San Marino. Weaker sides have closed the gap 
How did we get on against Liechtenstein under Jack Charlton?
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:55am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Hardly, Lichtenstein are still getting walloped 4/5/6/7/8-0 by average sides. As are San Marino. We just havent faced them in some time.

Sure there was Gibraltar during 2016 we battered 7-0 and 4-0. Faroes 3/4-0 during 2014
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 104>
  Share Topic