Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 104>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I've decided to step down as head critic of the Irish manager.  My work is done.   I now hand the reigns over to whoever wants to bid for it.  Hans Moleman is the early bookies favourite.

Hans is already checking the hot press for a good sized white bed sheet. 

Sponsored Links

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I've decided to step down as head critic of the Irish manager.  My work is done.   I now hand the reigns over to whoever wants to bid for it.  Hans Moleman is the early bookies favourite.

Hans is already checking the hot press for a good sized white bed sheet. 

Currently replacing the Mourinho picture on his dartboard with one of Mick
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I actually sacked you a few hours ago, yer letter is in the post. Now go over & stick yer name in your own sacked thread. 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

LOL

Incredible how we have gotten here. A political move looking to pander to a section of the fans and take the pressure off Delaney (please god let it backfire and pan out that Delaney has read this beloved McCarthy returning situation wrong). The media love in will be in full swing soon though, you'll have Kilbane, Sadlier, Houghton, Townsend et al absolutely sucking McCarthy off left, right, and centre. From there many will be persuaded it was the only choice to make.

We get rid of MON after the worst year for the senior team in living memory. We then put the final nail in the coffin by appointing McCarthy. Horrendous is an understatement.

I would love if someone had the balls at the very first press conference to ask McCarthy has he learned from his first Irish spell where he made countless mistakes, and then list off a number of them. I have a few favourites myself (Kennedy in the '98 WC playoff being one of the most farcical things I've seen in such a high stakes match - compares with the kind of madness MON was at in the 5-1 Danish defeat). Possibly top of the pile though has to be the fact that McCarthy never realised we had an extra man against Spain in the '02 WC in the second half of extra time, as one of their players limped off iirc. This is the level of utter garbage so many are delighted to see return. 

Best get the binoculars out lads, that ball is going to heading for the clouds even more regularly now. What a f*cking farce.
You haven't watched much of Mick's teams recently have you?

The following clip is from last season, the very season he was sacked/resigned a few matches before the end. Not many of the goals in the clip had snow on the ball. In fact if you were big enough you'd admit the football played in the lead up to many of these goals is quite attractive on the eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQn5b26RWOo

I'd hazard a guess a lot of those on here giving out about Mick "agricultural" style of play haven't seen his teams play in the past few years.

Some decent team goals in that video. 

Judging by how involved David McGoldrick was in a lot of those clips, I’d be expecting him to be named in Mick’s first squad.

haha i was wondering how quickly someone would pick up how many goals mcgoldrick was involved in. has a 1 in 3 record in the championship over the past two years. someone mick may indeed draft in.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:39pm
Remember this is the manager who told Denis Irwin he had to prove himself.

Played Gary Kelly ahead of Steve Finnan.

Had a Macedonia ....twice.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:44pm

How do I enter the running?

People who think we’re gonna play lovely football are living in a fantasy world 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Myth. Never said. 

Played a full back who'd been playing Champions league football the previous season and European football 3 years on the bounce and 5 of the previous 7 ahead of a Fulham player. Oh, the humanity!
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:50pm

The Irwin one is my favourite. This is a full back picked by Bobby Charlton as United's best ever right and left back and named by Alex Ferguson as the first name on his best ever United team - i.e. ahead of Ronaldo, Cantona , Keane, Giggs, Scholes, Robson, Schmeichel, etc, etc. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Myth. Never said. 

Played a full back who'd been playing Champions league football the previous season and European football 3 years on the bounce and 5 of the previous 7 ahead of a Fulham player. Oh, the humanity!

I'm virtually certain I've heard Irwin tell that story. Not a man for a tall tale.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:53pm
Did he actually say that though.  It was in Keane's book written by Dunphy.  He also claimed he treated McGrath disgracefully yet McGrath yesterday was calling for McCarthy to be appointed manager!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:57pm
f**king hell, the money involed is again insane....we'd have got Kenny for a third of that
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:57pm
From the Indo from 2001... It's a Philip Quinn interview with Denis.

Main relevant bit says

"...When the Republic of Ireland played Argentina in a friendly at Lansdowne Road that month, Irwin was left out of the team in preference to Jeff Kenna. It wasn't the first time Irwin had been overlooked by McCarthy but what stung most was a post-match remark attributed to the manager when asked to comment on Irwin's outstanding contribution as a second-half substitute and explain why he hadn't been in from the start.

McCarthy's reply about Irwin "having to prove himself" was a stinging criticism of the Manchester United player...At 32, in his prime and with a career CV that included four Premiership medals, two FA Cup wins, success in the Cup Winners Cup and League Cup finals, and experience of the '94 World Cup finals, Irwin felt he had nothing to prove.

Normally placid, Irwin was deeply upset at McCarthy's comment and friends have told how close he was to calling it a day in the aftermath of that game.Three and a half years years on, Irwin acknowledged that McCarthy's remarks "hurt at the time".

"I got my place back soon after that game so it had the right effect if he (McCarthy) wanted that," he added.

"I was in and out of the team then. I remember going to Iceland and other places and not being involved. It was disappointing and I had a couple of meetings with Mick and let him know that...."

Edited by rebelbrowser - 24 Nov 2018 at 12:04am
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:05am
I'm gutted
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:06am

Oh sweet jaysus, you didn't say something a wee bit negative about our Mick did you? How very dare you!

4 campaigns, 1 qualification. A horrid first campaign where there were some desperately bad results. Iceland. Macedonia. Absolutely blew it against an over the hill Belgian side with bizarre tactics and selection along the lines of MON vs Denmark in the 5-1 loss.

2000 campaign sees big Cas starting ahead of star striker away in Croatia (was happy to be corrected about Keane being out of the yugoslavia away game, would have been interesting to see his starting line up if he was available). Cascarino at about 84 years of age was involved in plenty of games in that campaign iirc. McCarthys horribly defensive tactics led to feeble defeats in the big away games to Croatia and Yugoslavia.

2002. superb campaign. Couldn't have went too much better, knocking out a very strong Dutch team and playing some great football along the way. Saipan, a total and utter shambles. Even McCarthys biggest cock sucking advocates can't say he came out of that situation well. We lost our best player, easily the best midfielder in the world at that time imo. Had a decent world cup, playing some good stuff again. Spain defeat on penalties was devastating. McCarthy failing to realise Spain were down to 10 men in extra time was a comedy show of incompetence.

2004. Appalling display away to Russia, 4-2 iirc. Was Phil Babb recalled for that one LOL Home to Switzerland, 1-1 late on, McCarthy knows his job is one the line and only a win might save him. Throws a load of lads forward and we get done and lose. 2 losses from 2 against our only rivals in the group. The campaign is effectively over or a minimum a massive uphill effort to have any chance of going through. For some reason, McCarthy seems to always escape any criticism for the '04 qualifying campaign. Did we lose 3 games in the entire group and finish 3rd? MCCarthy lost 2. Yet his fanboys say he had no real role in that campaign, it was really Kerrs. Sweet f*cking suffering jaysus.

It's a long list of incompetence McCarthy had while managing us. It's strange to me that a lot seem to want to brush it aside and never speak of it. As for his clubs, I'm not going to go back over all of them as his fans here must be surprised that Real Madrid didn't come calling for him at some stage such were his incredible successes. I will mention his most recent gig as it's mentioned in the previous posts there. The Ipswich fans hated him, his style of football was deplorable. A youtube clip of goals is an embarrassing way to try and disprove what is the reality. They ran McCarthy out of there and it was mainly to do with the style of play. Obviously lads have no idea about that themselves as this is very well known and any quick bit of research or 2 mins on an Ipswich fans forum will show this.

A truly abysmal appointment. No doubt about that. I yearn for the days of MON and Keane abusing half our players and playing a 9-0-1 formation already. It won't be too long before many others are feeling the same watching Shane Duffy win the puc fada competition come March. The only saving grace is that if the FAI are smart enough they will sack McCarthy by the end of the qualifying campaign and put someone else in for those playoffs we should be in. That is the only hope left now in this qualifying campaign.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:08am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

How do I enter the running?

People who think we’re gonna play lovely football are living in a fantasy world 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQn5b26RWOo

watch all 12 minutes.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:12am
Jack Charlton dropped Denis Irwin for the World Cup last 16 game against Holland in Orlando. 

Mick McCarthy didn't start Denis Irwin for a friendly game. 

This widespread grumbling about Mick not starting Irwin in a friendly in 1998 is absolutely fascinating. 

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:19am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Jack Charlton dropped Denis Irwin for the World Cup last 16 game against Holland in Orlando. 
Irwin was fcuked from the heat.
Jack went for the younger, faster option to keep tabs on Overmars.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:19am
I am quite positive about his reappointment. He will get us playing reasonably well, will get some more players on board (Rice & Crowley hopefully) and will get us to Euro 2020. Welcome back Mick. 
The only way is up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 104>
  Share Topic