Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 104>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Anyone know what he was on at Ipswich?

Have been trying to find out online but no luck so far, only think i found was an article of him criticising how much player earn these days Embarrassed 
Same as that! Not even a dodgy guess from HITC or the like.
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

wonder what Rice and Crowley think of Mick
I wonder what they think of the DFAI.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:46pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Anyone know what he was on at Ipswich?

A Recaro
What's that?

Related image
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:49pm
If you had seat a bench, I'd have laughed. It lost something in the explanation.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:53pm
What international managers in history have got a team of such average ability as this current Ireland team playing attractive, successful football?

Has it ever really happened? Has a manager been able to turn donkeys into thoroughbreds?

I'm trying to think of European teams who have punched above their weight in my lifetime. 

Sweden are consistently useful, but they don't tend to play a pretty style. Even when they had Larsson and Ibrahimovic they didn't. 

Norway got up to, I think, 2nd in the world rankings in the 1990s. But they played a horrible style which made our lads look like technical geniuses from the Balkans. 

Speaking of which, Croatia. Balkan football consistently produces technically gifted players, it has always been their culture. Croatia punch above their weight because they consistently punch above their weight in terms of producing gifted footballers. They play a beautiful style because they produce beautiful players. We don't.

Romania and Bulgaria both had a load of gifted players when they were successsful at World Cups playing an attractive style. Even in Genoa in 1990, the gap in real class was very apparent.

The Swiss have been punching above their weight for much of the last 25 years. But they're generally puke to watch. 

Portugal have much more gifted players than us. They're generally not great to watch. Dour, defensive. 

Greece of course punched above their weight more than anybody. They were awful to watch. The international equivalent of Rangers' run to the 2008 UEFA Cup final, except they won their final.

Iceland - dreadful to watch. Getting the very most from themselves, but they're absolute hoofers.

The North - they do well with what they have, but it's not especially attractive. They do have Steve Davis, which helps.

The very limit of what we can hope to achieve with this group is something like what Sweden did in the recent World Cup campaign. That's basically to be organised as hell defensively and play an abrasive, physical northern European style. Bully our opponents physically and get a platform to play some kind of half-decent, high energy football on top of that. And make set-pieces count. 

But we aren't going to be controlling the midfield and dominating possession against any sort of a decent team.

To play a good style, especially at international level where tactics and styles are rudimentary compared to club football, requires good players, and to produce good players is a generational job like what Belgium undertook.

We can do better for sure, but we have to be realistic about what that "better" will look like. It isn't going to look like the football playing style equivalent of a young Andrea Corr, or even an old Sharon Corr. It'll look more like Jim Corr. 

We'll start playing like Croatia when we produce players of the class of Croatia's players. And mine's a pint of Harp and packet of dates please, Lawrence.

Edited by sid waddell - 23 Nov 2018 at 9:56pm
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:55pm
Happy Mick got the job.
Really great opportunity for him.....top 2 qualify automatically, and then NL playoff if we finish a close 3rd (hopefully not 4th or 5th).
Guaranteed full house now for 1st home game in LR.
It is what it is, get your views/gripes out now, but stand behind the team next March.

Ireland’s Euro 2020 song:

“We’re all part of Mick’s Army...
We’re all off to Dublin, London, Bilbao, Copenhagen, Bucharest, Rome, St Petersburg, Munich, Budapest, Bandon, Baku, Amsterdam.....
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:03pm
well i for one am.looking forward to the draw. Hopefully we get a half decent one and we can go into the campaign with some optimism.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

What international managers in history have got a team of such average ability as this current Ireland team playing attractive, successful football?

Has it ever really happened? Has a manager been able to turn donkeys into thoroughbreds?

I'm trying to think of European teams who have punched above their weight in my lifetime. 

Sweden are consistently useful, but they don't tend to play a pretty style. Even when they had Larsson and Ibrahimovic they didn't. 

Norway got up to, I think, 2nd in the world rankings in the 1990s. But they played a horrible style which made our lads look like technical geniuses from the Balkans. 

Speaking of which, Croatia. Balkan football consistently produces technically gifted players, it has always been their culture. Croatia punch above their weight because they consistently punch above their weight in terms of producing gifted footballers. They play a beautiful style because they produce beautiful players. We don't.

Romania and Bulgaria both had a load of gifted players when they were successsful at World Cups playing an attractive style. Even in Genoa in 1990, the gap in real class was very apparent.

The Swiss have been punching above their weight for much of the last 25 years. But they're generally puke to watch. 

Portugal have much more gifted players than us. They're generally not great to watch. Dour, defensive. 

Greece of course punched above their weight more than anybody. They were awful to watch. The international equivalent of Rangers' run to the 2008 UEFA Cup final, except they won their final.

Iceland - dreadful to watch. Getting the very most from themselves, but they're absolute hoofers.

The North - they do well with what they have, but it's not especially attractive. They do have Steve Davis, which helps.

The very limit of what we can hope to achieve with this group is something like what Sweden did in the recent World Cup campaign. That's basically to be organised as hell defensively and play an abrasive, physical northern European style. Bully our opponents physically and get a platform to play some kind of half-decent, high energy football on top of that. And make set-pieces count. 

To play a good style, especially at international level where tactics and styles are rudimentary compared to club football, requires good players, and to produce good players is a generational job like what Belgium undertook.

We can do better for sure, but we have to be realistic about what that "better" will look like. It isn't going to look like the football playing style equivalent of a young Andrea Corr, or even an old Sharon Corr. It'll look more like Jim Corr. 

We'll start playing like Croatia when we produce players of the class of Croatia's players. And mine's a pint of Harp and packet of dates please, Lawrence.

It’s all about what the current ‘meta’ or trend is in Football.

European Interational Football is in the early 2010s of English football where playing 5 in midfield is the norm. It’s the Managers job to develop a system which counters the trend which was discovered by Wenger/Conte that playing 3 cente halfs and keeping the ball on the ground will annihilate any 5 man midfield formation.

Irish Football is still in the period of playing 5 man midfield formations because we don’t simply have the technical players to evolve regardless if MON is still manager or if Mick/Big Sam is the next manager. If we ever saw Richard Keogh playing in as a ball playing defender in a 3 man defence I think the country may see another uprising.

The sad part is that I have no doubt in my mind that Rice would of been a key figure in a setup as such by how he distributes the ball
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

In terms of styles of play, I think you'll find pretty much any manager worth their salt would play a pretty agricultural, pragmatic style of play with this lot, because, let's face it, the players aren't very good.

When has an Irish team consistently played good football?

Under Charlton? No. 

Under Kerr? Hell no. 

Under Staunton? Hmmm...they actually tried, you know. It didn't really work out. 

Under Trapattoni? No. They played good football precisely once, in Paris, when the players were all up for the fight of their lives against a disorganised rabble.

Under O'Neill? Em, I don't really need to answer that, do I?

The only manager Ireland have ever had that consistently tried to get his team playing a decent style to watch, and had success was...McCarthy. 

And yet some people are now claiming this is a dark day.

If you want this Irish team playing a pleasing, pretty pattern, tippy tappy, fantasy style of football - successfully - well, welcome to la la land, because you're not going to get it under anybody. 

You just better hope there are some serious diamonds waiting to be polished in those youth teams, and let's face it - and they will take a long time to polish, if they actually exist. 

Absolutely spot on again. Some lads on here are living in the clouds.

Completely in agreement here. You would swear from some that Kenny was the messiah and the FAI were overlooking someone who won 5 Champions leagues or something. A good LOI manager no doubt but Mick is the right choice and I am glad he is back.
The only way is up
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:36pm
I wanted Kenny personally but I’m happy with Mick. I don’t agree with the lazy arguement that we don’t have the players. We have good enough players to be playing significantly better than we have in the last year. One thing I think Mick will bring is organisation and structure to the team which is what we lacked under O Neill. A quick fix to get to the Euros sure but I’d rather us qualify than string 1000 passes together each game and play lovely football like people expected under Kenny. Had this change taken place last November it would have given Kenny a chance to experiment with the team.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I dunno how I feel about this tbh.  I like Mick and am pleased he is having another crack at it because I feel he has unfinished business with us but also can't help feeling its a backward step and very shortsighted by the FAI as usual.  I really feel we have to totally change our style of play and this is just  band aid to tie us over for 2 yrs.  Personally I am not too bothered about 2020. What's the point in qualifying to stink out the place?  I really want us to cut our ties with any semblance of a traditional British style and adopt our own identity and a much more sophisticated style of play.

Any sophisticated style of play is not going to be implemented before the qualifiers start. We need someone to get the current group of players playing. It's far more important to get the right appointment in at U21 level to take advantage of the current crop of underage players when they graduate and have the right structure in place when those that make it are ready to step up. The next senior appointment is more important than this one in my opinion. 

And when the next one comes around, people will be saying the exact same thing... 

I can't help but notice that the people championing the need for a "pragmatic, risk-averse" manager, are the same people who think we have sh*t players. Has it ever occurred to them that perhaps the two are linked? Perhaps the constant focus on the short term, on being negative and giving away as little as possible, rather than being positive and trying to gain as much as possible, might be the reason that we don't currently have great players? It may even be the reason that the good players we do have look worse when the play for us...

The reality is that if any of us are serious about making sustainable improvement, we actually have to take steps that will enable sustainable improvement. Constantly going for the "safe option" is clearly not a step in that direction; in fact it is the exact opposite. We are locking ourselves into a vicious cycle; one which incrementally erodes our talent base and belief that we can ever be more than we currently are. More than that, it will only have diminishing returns the longer it goes on. But hey, who cares about sustainability when there are still guys out there who might be able to give us an 18 month bump in fortunes, right?

I actually agree, I think there needs to be a serious structure put in at U21 level and proper planning for a couple of years down the line or else you're 100% right. I would have serious concerns that won't happen, it's hope rather than expectation. I just don't see how changing that radically at senior level for this campaign is possible. If it was 12 months ago, yes. But we have a 9 month campaign instead of the normal 15 month cycle and it starts with our next game. Not ideal. 

Even if, for arguments sake, we did get a proper structure at U-21 level in place, what good will that be if we continue to play turgid bogball at senior level? Why bother training our youngsters to play with creativity and guile if the attributes required to win a place in the senior team are completely different to these? We need a consistent approach, it can't be entirely from the bottom up or top down, we need to work at it from both ends so that it all joins up where it matters.

I agree. Do you genuinely think that can done by March?

Unlikely, certainly not under McCarthy. Again though, if we don't start now, then when will we? There's always going to be some short term goal that we will say has to take precedence over making a change...

It's not likely under anybody. You're actually tying a manager's hands behind his back asking him to do it. 

A good time is when you have a number of friendlies and maybe a nations league campaign to experiment with. To bring players you think will suit that ethos through. Even with that, you'd need to work with the existing squad to see who could adapt. You can't expect someone to take the existing squad and implement, say Stephen Kenny's style in the next game. 

There's a chance to get it right at 21s and build from there. I don't think we'll take that but it's more important than the senior job right now imo. Short term fix to qualify was only option imo.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:11pm

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

We do the same thing over and over again, yet expect a different outcome Shocked
I'd be very happy with the same outcome as Mick's first term in charge, thank you. 

Failure to qualify?
Never finishing outside the top two of a qualifying group. 

Eliminating Croatia, who had just finished third in the world.

Eliminating Holland, who were one of the world's top teams. 

Reaching the last 16 of a World Cup, dominating Germany and Spain at those finals, scoring six goals, and only going out on penalty kicks. 

2002 was Ireland's best ever campaign. 

And now we have the man who managed that team back. 

Yes, please. 

It was time for Mick McCarthy to come home. 

Mick McCarthy has come home. 

Welcome back, old friend. 

Sign me up as ON BOARD with our new manager.

Are you another one who believes that McCarthy had no hand in our failure to qualify for '04? It's like a McCarthy cult with some of ye where ye just blank oh so many horrible moments of awful management under him LOL

He shouldn't have been on a shortlist of 100 names. It's genuinely a disgrace that they've gone back to him. As I said already, get the binoculars out, that ball is going be hoofed by Shane Duffy longer than you've ever seen before under our Mick.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Ruckinspector View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruckinspector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:11pm
As mentioned previously,a decent although not brave appointment....let’s have some proper connectivity with U21s (Lee Carsley please) and the underage....let’s also not ignore the LOI,there are hidden gems there....lets not bemoan our lack of goalscorers/technical players rather make what we have better and comfortable in an Irish style of play...guts,heart,physicality,desire,directness (mixed with a bit of skill and flair)....all are admirable and desirable characteristics which we do have...
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:14pm

LOL

Incredible how we have gotten here. A political move looking to pander to a section of the fans and take the pressure off Delaney (please god let it backfire and pan out that Delaney has read this beloved McCarthy returning situation wrong). The media love in will be in full swing soon though, you'll have Kilbane, Sadlier, Houghton, Townsend et al absolutely sucking McCarthy off left, right, and centre. From there many will be persuaded it was the only choice to make.

We get rid of MON after the worst year for the senior team in living memory. We then put the final nail in the coffin by appointing McCarthy. Horrendous is an understatement.

I would love if someone had the balls at the very first press conference to ask McCarthy has he learned from his first Irish spell where he made countless mistakes, and then list off a number of them. I have a few favourites myself (Kennedy in the '98 WC playoff being one of the most farcical things I've seen in such a high stakes match - compares with the kind of madness MON was at in the 5-1 Danish defeat). Possibly top of the pile though has to be the fact that McCarthy never realised we had an extra man against Spain in the '02 WC in the second half of extra time, as one of their players limped off iirc. This is the level of utter garbage so many are delighted to see return. 

Best get the binoculars out lads, that ball is going to heading for the clouds even more regularly now. What a f*cking farce.
You haven't watched much of Mick's teams recently have you?

The following clip is from last season, the very season he was sacked/resigned a few matches before the end. Not many of the goals in the clip had snow on the ball. In fact if you were big enough you'd admit the football played in the lead up to many of these goals is quite attractive on the eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQn5b26RWOo

I'd hazard a guess a lot of those on here giving out about Mick "agricultural" style of play haven't seen his teams play in the past few years.

Edited by colemanY2K - 23 Nov 2018 at 11:22pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:19pm
I've decided to step down as head critic of the Irish manager.  My work is done.   I now hand the reigns over to whoever wants to bid for it.  Hans Moleman is the early bookies favourite.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:22pm

I've decided to step down as head critic of the Irish manager.  My work is done.   I now hand the reigns over to whoever wants to bid for it.  Hans Moleman is the early bookies favourite.

I actually sacked you a few hours ago, yer letter is in the post. Now go over & stick yer name in your own sacked thread. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:23pm

Hes even more annoying than you..already LOL
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

LOL

Incredible how we have gotten here. A political move looking to pander to a section of the fans and take the pressure off Delaney (please god let it backfire and pan out that Delaney has read this beloved McCarthy returning situation wrong). The media love in will be in full swing soon though, you'll have Kilbane, Sadlier, Houghton, Townsend et al absolutely sucking McCarthy off left, right, and centre. From there many will be persuaded it was the only choice to make.

We get rid of MON after the worst year for the senior team in living memory. We then put the final nail in the coffin by appointing McCarthy. Horrendous is an understatement.

I would love if someone had the balls at the very first press conference to ask McCarthy has he learned from his first Irish spell where he made countless mistakes, and then list off a number of them. I have a few favourites myself (Kennedy in the '98 WC playoff being one of the most farcical things I've seen in such a high stakes match - compares with the kind of madness MON was at in the 5-1 Danish defeat). Possibly top of the pile though has to be the fact that McCarthy never realised we had an extra man against Spain in the '02 WC in the second half of extra time, as one of their players limped off iirc. This is the level of utter garbage so many are delighted to see return. 

Best get the binoculars out lads, that ball is going to heading for the clouds even more regularly now. What a f*cking farce.
You haven't watched much of Mick's teams recently have you?

The following clip is from last season, the very season he was sacked/resigned a few matches before the end. Not many of the goals in the clip had snow on the ball. In fact if you were big enough you'd admit the football played in the lead up to many of these goals is quite attractive on the eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQn5b26RWOo

I'd hazard a guess a lot of those on here giving out about Mick "agricultural" style of play haven't seen his teams play in the past few years.

Some decent team goals in that video. 

Judging by how involved David McGoldrick was in a lot of those clips, I’d be expecting him to be named in Mick’s first squad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 104>
  Share Topic